question?

justr_86

Long Time Member
Since Utah allows you to use your antlerless tag during the buck or bull
hunt as long as its the unit specified on your tag. Say i'm deer hunting in the cow unit I have a tag, I kill a buck. Can I still hunt cow elk? Or since I filled my tag for deer does that mean I have to wait until the actual antlerless hunt?

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Sounds to me from what you're saying that you would then have to wait for the specific dates of the cow hunt to fill that tag since you wouldn't have a legal tag for anything else to be hunting any longer.

A couple years ago I ran in to the gamewarden while hunting and ask him this very question. It actually took him a while to come up with an answer. He told me that I could continue to hunt for a cow elk if I filled my deer tag. Having said this, I am now argueing with a coworker that says a warden told him exactly the opposite.

This issue has been clarified ..

You can still fill your cow permit during your deer
season even if you fill your deer tag first ..
Just keep your used deer permit with you while
you continue to hunt your cow tag ..

I went to battle over this were youth , under 18 ,
get all three hunts .. can fill their cow tag on any
of those hunts ..

My son has done it twice now .. hopefully again this year ..
He has the deer tag already .. This would be his 3rd year
in a row if he pulls another antlerless elk tag ...

PLUS he And my wife BOTH drew antelope permits on the
Paunsy/Dutton unit this year!!! .. Going to be a good one.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-26-12 AT 04:53PM (MST)[p]Here is the actual Admin rule....POST ABOVE IS CORRECT, FULL GENERAL SEASON

R657-5-33. Antlerless Elk Hunts.

(1) To hunt an antlerless elk, a hunter must obtain an antlerless elk permit.

(2)(a) An antlerless elk permit allows a person to take one antlerless elk using any legal weapon within the area and season as specified on the permit and in the Antlerless guidebook of the Wildlife Board for taking big game.

(b) A person may not hunt on any cooperative wildlife management units unless that person obtains an antlerless elk permit for a cooperative wildlife management unit as specified on the permit.

(3)(a) A person may obtain two elk permits each year, provided one or both of the elk permits is an antlerless elk permit.

(b) For the purposes of obtaining two elk permits, a hunter's choice elk permit may not be considered an antlerless elk permit.

(4)(a) A person who obtains an antlerless elk permit and any of the permits listed in Subsection (b) may use the antlerless elk permit during the established season for the antlerless elk permit and during the established season for the permits listed in Subsection (b) provided:

(i) the permits are both valid for the same area;

(ii) the appropriate archery equipment is used if hunting with an archery permit;

(iii) the appropriate muzzleloader equipment is used if hunting with a muzzleloader permit.

(b)(i) General buck deer for archery, muzzleloader or any legal weapon;

(ii) general bull elk for archery, muzzleloader or any legal weapon;

(iii) limited entry buck deer for archery, muzzleloader or any legal weapon; or

(vi) limited entry bull elk for archery, muzzleloader or any legal weapon.

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

That may be the way they interpret the rule, but it makes no sense to me when you no longer have a legal tag for other than the cow elk season. It would seem to me that would allow an unscroupulous person to continue hunting and shoot another animal that he has no business hunting for any longer, but I guess they could do that regardless. I can see being able to shoot the cow elk until the other tag has been filled, but to allow it after that is weird and no wonder wardens differed on their answer. Things like this should be spelled out so there is absolutely no way a person has to guess or ask, especially the officers enforcing the laws!

That is the reason I didn't hunt
For a cow after I killed my deer, would've been really nice though since my brother and dad were there. I can see problems both ways....

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I called the springville office twice and talked to 2 different people and they told me absolutely no hunting the cow after the regular tag is full. I also talked to a warden in the field and he told e the same thing. So I would love to see this in writing before I went cow hunting out of season. You guys are telling me its ok, but I have been told no, by 3 differnt people who work for the division. Whats the right answer?

From the "book" in my post above;

b) may use the antlerless elk permit during the established season for the antlerless elk permit and during the established season for the permits listed in Subsection (b)

Says during the established season for the permit, I guess you could say that once you have tagged out on the other one you no longer have a valid license, but that is not true. When you cut off the tag portion you still posses the valid license.

There is no way they could make a ticket stick with this wording, Game officers can't be up to speed on every law. I've heard opinions from officers that later proved to be totally incorrect.

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

Is it ice you're willing to skate on?

Seems pretty thin to me.. Not worth losing hunting over... I'll bring it up to a few friends in the division and see if I can get them to clarify, maybe make it more black and white..

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Just got off the phone with a director.. You CAN keep hunting, there have been tickets written in the past and they were thrown out. That is why they used permit in the wording instead of tag. If i'm lucky enough to draw a tag again I will continue hunting! Just make sure you have your permit on you like stated above..

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

(i) the permits are both valid for the same area;

I would say that throws it out right there. Once you kill a deer, or elk, or whatever, then the permit is no longer "valid." So now both permits would not be valid.

I wouldn't take that risk, sounds like a pain to me.

You still have a valid hunting permit, good for one buck deer. Even though the tag has been detatched the permit is still good.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I too have checked with the 'higher ups' in the division ..
This issue is being clarified to ALL field officers ,,
There should not be any problems this fall ..
And for youth deer hunters , under 18, even if the fill
their deer tag on the archery, Keep the permit portion
of the deer tag and they can continue to hunt their cow elk
during the muzzle loader and rifle hunt AS LONG as permits
are for the same area AND the deer tag was any weapon...

Happy hunting!

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom