rain ? horn growth in 15

patea

I'm from loisiana and drew a 15 archery tag. heard it was dry and was wondering if anyone knows how the elk are developing antler wise

Dry as a bone. 350" bulls last year will be lucky to make it to 220" this year.....kidding, it's the same as every year. It's dry now; will get a good rain or two in July, and dump the second week of September. Try not to worry about it too much. You'll find plenty of elk and should find some decent ones at that.

Bulls are looking real good being seeing some bulls that are going to hit that 360-380 mark. Seen this bull in a unit near 15 he's gonna turn out to be a decent bull.
5302img_20140619_194246157.jpg

I've been watching the weather around Quamado ever since I pulled an October elk tag.
They have not had a lot of rain, but they have had a shower or two every week almost all spring.
Weather.com show some percentage of rain every day this week.
When the weather service says ?20% chance of rain?, that doesn't mean a 20% chance it will rain, it means 20% of the general area will receive some rain.
I suspect horn growth and overall herd health will be decent. Not great, but pretty good.
We are talking about the Gila, decent horn growth is like fantastic in most places.
Big bulls will be taken in 15 this year.
The only question is, will I shoot one, or will I, once again, succumb to ?Raghorn fever? and shoot the first 5X5 that steps out.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom