random thought

zeddro

How many of you "hunt a specific deer"?

or

How many of you just go hunting?

I just go hunting to find a good buck and hope to find a really good buck. But its sounds like the guys that are bagging monsters year after year, they are hunting specific bucks they found either from scouting themselves or from a guide that did the scouting.

I would hope to switch to the guy that "hunts a specific buck", but I guess the reason why I haven't so far is: my lifestyle(job), family commitments, and the distance I have to travel to my hunting spot.

What way do you guys hunt?

I like to try and hunt a specific buck, but that is all dependent on time for scouting, getting to the spot before the opener and allow your self to find the animal you plan on hunting. Its come together twice like that for me and I have to say that doing that way has put me on the 2 largest deer ive ever seen. Did i get them? no. but it was a blast so I will try and hunt like that when time/$$ allow it.

For the last two years, I have huted individual bucks. Exciting and frustrating at the same time!

Good points made here. I've done both, and it really comes down to; knowledge of the area, preseason scouting and time. I've spent alot of time chasing particular bucks in high country with my bow and it has to be one of the most challenging,frustrating and rewarding things in hunting. I kind of get this thought in my head that I'm a bounty hunter out there in the woods at times!
Coloradoboy

When I scout I get my top 5 or 10 or so. I like to have a list from best to worst with a cut off of ones that I would or wouldn't shoot with a bow. Obviously I want the biggest buck in the canyon but sometimes a 160 class buck looks pretty good at 40 yards when you have been blowin stalks all week. Its hard to pass up that 4th or 5th on the list when they are in bow range and the shot presents itself.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

Before kids, I was able to scout some and target certain bucks. It was fun, even though I always seemed to mess it up. Nowdays, I do not have the time and the places I like to hunt are way to far away for scouting. I tend to hunt an area or two that were good in the past looking for the big one...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom