Rattlesnake question

what would you do if you got bit by a rattlesnake on the mountain? Do you hurry back to your truck or call for help? I have heard to move as little as possible. Lets here what ya think.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-08 AT 03:35PM (MST)[p]There was once a tale of THE LONE RANGER and Tonto out in the Wild West. THE LONE RANGER dismounted his steed and was bitten by a coiled rattlesnake. THE LONE RANGER looked to Tonto and relayed the situation explaining that the rattler had managed to bite him in the arse. THE LONE RANGER instructed Tonto to quickly ride into town, find the local doc, and get instructions to save his life. THE LONE RANGER lay there sweating and in shock as Tonto rode off toward town. When Tonto reached the town he found the doc who instructed him that he must suck the poison out with his mouth in order to save THE LONE RANGERS life. Tonto rode back to THE LONE RANGER and surveyed the snake bite on his arse. THE LONE RANGER in panic asks Tonto...well, what did the doc say??!! Tonto drops his eyes and says...doc says you're gonna die.

Your best bet would be to ask your doctor and not depend on twenty different answers that may be bad advice. Location of bite has different effects on the body and you may want advice that will include what to do depending on the bite location.
If you are by yourself, you are going to have to walk out, unless you have some sort of communication with outside help.

RELH

If it doesn't immediately hurt like hell.....wait, they can give a dry bite but is rare. If it is a venom bite you will know it immediately, don't panic and get to medical attention asap. Put ice on it if possible....hardly anyone reccomends tourniquets or sucking the venom out anymore.......but mostly don't panic and get to medical attention as soon as possible, they are rarely fatal.

JB

>There was once a tale of
>Zoro and Tonto out in
>the Wild West. Zoro
>dismounted his steed and was
>bitten by a coiled rattlesnake.
> Zoro looked to Tonto
>and relayed the situation explaining
>that the rattler had managed
>to bite him in the
>arse. Zoro instructed Tonto
>to quickly ride into town,
>find the local doc, and
>get instructions to save his
>life. Zoro lay there
>sweating and in shock as
>Tonto rode off toward town.
> When Tonto reached the
>town he found the doc
>who instructed him that he
>must suck the poison out
>with his mouth in order
>to save Zoros life.
>Tonto rode back to Zoro
>and surveyed the snake bite
>on his arse. Zoro in
>panic asks Tonto...well, what did
>the doc say??!! Tonto
>drops his eyes and says...doc
>says you're gonna die.

That was the lone ranger and tonto you dipstick....LOL

JB

due to cavities in your teeth you're only going to make things worse by trying to suck out the poison.

i was always told that if your bit on a extremity the best thing to do is sit down and try as best as you can to control your breathing, rattle snake venom is a animal protien just like an egg from a chicken is. since a snake is a cold blooded animal and your blood is warm it will thicken the venom and make it move slower through your body. and the control your breathing thing is to slow your heart rate.

i have no idea if this really works or not that just what i was told in a first responder class a few years ago.

KILL THE DANG SNAKE FIRST - Then go seek medical attention. The below article sums up how I feel about snakes.

Trooper bitten by snake shoots his way out of rattlesnake jam
By Ed Kemmick, of Montana Lee Newspapers - 06/09/2007
Montana Highway Patrolman Steve Wisniewski poses for a photo, Wednesday near his home in Boyd. The Columbus-based trooper was working last Saturday when he was asked by the Bozeman office of the Highway Patrol to check on reports of an oversize load coming his way. About 8 p.m., a mile east of the Columbus exit on Interstate 90, Wisniewski pulled over a Suburban pulling half a mobile home. He was supposed to get a photograph of the load, so he walked with his camera up a slope to the fence. He heard a hissing sound, looked down and saw a rattlesnake making a lunge for his leg and deliver a bite. Paul Ruhter / The Billings Gazette.

BILLINGS ? As much as Montana Highway Patrolman Steve Wisniewski would like to have shot the rattlesnake that sank its fangs into him Saturday night, he had no time for revenge.

??I didn't get the snake that got me,?? he said. ??I shot the one that was in the way of me getting out. In the Army they call it plowing the road.??

The Columbus-based trooper was working last Saturday when he was asked by the Bozeman office of the Highway Patrol to check on reports of an oversize load coming his way. About 8 p.m., a mile east of the Columbus exit on Interstate 90, Wisniewski pulled over a Suburban pulling half a mobile home.

He was supposed to get a photograph of the load, so he walked with his camera up a slope to the fence. He heard a hissing sound, looked down and saw a rattlesnake making a lunge for his leg.

Wisniewski, 40, jumped back, dodging that strike, but landed on another snake. That rattler, and another one right next to it, both struck at Wisniewski?s left leg. One hit his boot and the other struck flesh just above the boot.

Wisniewski was making tracks toward the highway when he saw yet another rattlesnake directly in front of him. His first thought was to jump over that snake.

??Then I thought, that would really leave me exposed, if you know what I mean.??

That's when he pulled his .357 automatic pistol and squeezed off two shots. The first shot killed the snake and the second one missed.

When the snake struck his leg, he said, ??It felt like somebody rapping me with a stick.??

A couple of seconds later, it felt like somebody was pouring hot grease on the spot. He said he saw four or five snakes, all of a few feet long.

Wisniewski ran back to the road and told the people with the Suburban to get into the vehicle. Once inside his patrol car, Wisniewski contacted dispatch and reported what happened. The dispatcher sent out a reserve sheriff?s deputy to take Wisniewski to Stillwater Community Hospital in Columbus, and the deputy arrived within minutes.

Wisniewski, a 13-year veteran of the patrol, said he made the deputy wait while he finished dealing with the driver of the Suburban. He said he wrote him a citation and ordered him to stay in Columbus until he'd obtained a truck big enough to legally transport the mobile home. Then the deputy thought it was time to go.

??It was burning right where it bit me, and I guess I was sweating really bad,?? Wisniewski said. ??And the deputy told me, ?Boy, you're really pale.??? Wisniewski was at the hospital within 15 minutes of being struck by the snake, and they soon had him hooked up to a couple of intravenous lines. They did blood work and had him connected to monitors.

??The treatment was almost as bad as the bite,?? he said.

There wasn?t much pain, he said, but he was nauseous and sweating and he never did get to sleep. About midnight, when his vital signs started fluctuating, showing that he had been hit with venom and had not suffered a ??dry bite,?? he was treated with antivenin. He was released Sunday morning and returned to work on Monday.

Wisniewski said he heard lots of ??snake lore?? while he was in the hospital. He was told that snakes tend to bunch up in the spring but their venom is weaker than it would be in the summer. His own theory is that he startled the snake as badly as it startled him and it didn't get a good shot at him.

??I don't think the snake gave me a good solid bite,?? he said.

Back at work Monday, Wisniewski took part in a quarterly qualifying target shoot with other troopers. He didn't do as well as he normally did, he said, but he figures that was less the result of the snake bite than the lack of sleep. He also had to endure some ribbing. His fellow troopers wanted to know why he managed to kill only one snake.

Wisniewski?s supervisor, Sgt. Pete O?Loughlin, has been with the Highway Patrol for 26 years and said he'd never heard of a trooper being bitten by a snake. He took the long view of the incident.

??Well,?? he said, ??a guy?s gotta have memories, you know.??

"That's when he pulled his .357 automatic pistol and squeezed off two shots."

Sounds like one of my nightmares coming true. at least he had his .357 automatic pistol with him.

I don't doubt that there is such a thing. Desert Eagle makes one i believe, but it's huge. Haven't heard of any H.Patrol troopers using them though???

Joey

Your right...probably a journalist error and error was not caught before it went to print. All them snakes in one place gave me the heebee jeebees, and I didn't give to much thought to the handgun description.

In regards to your question. ( What to do if you get bit on the Mountain?) Well I am not sure if I know what part of the body is the Mountain.
Rut

My uncle was bit by a copperhead on his hand back some years ago back east. He was in town and was able to get medical attention easily. The Doc told him what you should do when bit is to wrap a shirt or something around your limb between the bite and your heart, not a tourniquet, just something enough to slow bloodflow. Try to keep your pulse rate down, don't panic and try to get to a Doc as soon as possible. He said tourniquets and sucking the venom out only make things worse.

Sageadvice;

That trooper may have been armed with the Sig .357 auto. I have heard of several departments going to that gun and I worked with a Det. that carried one. If I remember right, it is a 10mm necked down for a .357 dia. bullet. Pretty much has the same power as a 357 mag. with a 125 gr. bullet.

RELH

RELH said;
"That trooper may have been armed with the Sig .357 auto."

Fair enough, Thanks!

i have read of that round now that you mention it. Sorry to hyjack the thread there a bit. That phrase caught me off guard, struck me as odd.

Joey

That Tonto is one SOB. The story goes the Lone Ranger and Tonto where in being attacked...the Lone Ranger looked at Tonto and said. "Tonto, we're surrounded by Indians !!!" Tonto thought a bit, then replied "Who's we white man ?".

No idea on the snake bite.

You don't have to worry about that if you wear Snake proof boots.
The Ogden area is full of Rattlers this year. My freind and I clear at least 5 Rattlers off of the Wasatch front trails each time we go. It's almost to the point where no Buck is worth it. I hate snakes!!!

That is true if you are by yourself then apply a constricting band{at least 4 inches wide} and try to keep bite site below your heart.But it's not going to do a whole lot of good to just sit on the mountain and hope someone comes by

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-08 AT 05:26PM (MST)[p]i have a question ? When do rattlesnakes hibernate i have saw a few in ocotber in the first part of the month...Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread i just was wondering.

In the early 70s I lived in central CA. At the time Don Pedro Reservoir was still pretty new and hadn't filled to capacity. As the water rose, the wildlife (including rattlesnakes) were forced to move to higher ground. One gentleman went fishing on a creek that dumped into the reservoir. He failed to return that night and the next morning they found him laying face down in the water at the mouth of the creek. An autopsy later showed he had 32 rattlesnake bites. I can only imagine the horror that poor guy went through.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom