Recording Elk Bugles

idhikker

I want to record elk bugles for a couple weeks in September prior to my elk hunt. I hunt big country and it would be really useful to know which ridges/basins they are using. I would like to have 3 set up.

I would like something cheaper than a trail camera and audio capability to capture bugles up to 1/2 mile to a 1 mile off.

I could use a simple recorder. I think it might work but I'm not sure it would be able to capture far-away sounds. I could get one that only records when there is sound to lower the amount of data and then sift through to find the elk bugles.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Is that illegal to use during hunting? We can use them for spring snow goose season.

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

I don't plan on playing them back to the elk as an electronic call. Just a location tool.

How do you record the snow geese?

Oh, I think I understand now. Your wanting to use a recorder to try and determine the location of the
elk when your not there, like using a trail cam, but this way you can get some data without the elk
having to walk in front of the camera.
Cool idea, let us know how it works!

I have a question though. I suppose you are going to set multiple recorders out in different ridges, etc., with a time stamp......what sets the recorder off as to not just record thin air?

DW is right. Snow geese are a nuisance so in the spring hunts we can use electronic calls, take the
plugs out of our guns, etc.

Good luck with your with your idea!

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom