Repealing Prop 117

KingCrow

What would it take to repeal the proposition that outlawed mountain lion hunting?

It seems like people are becoming more conservative-minded as they realize that lovey-dovey liberal policies don't float the boat for very long. Now may be a good time to propose legislation that would allow the State Department of Fish Game to manage mountain lions as a game species.

My biggest peeve about prop 117 is the fact that prop 117 earmarked $30 million annually to "protect and preserve" critical areas for mountain lions.

I wonder how much benefit has been reaped by the $600 million that has been spent over the last 20 years since the bill passed(Say it again, that's six hundred million dollars!).

Mountain lions are incredibly difficult to kill, even if they were hunted very few would hit the dirt. I can only imagine what all that money has been spent on...

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-11 AT 08:44AM (MST)[p]Well, I guess if you are going to dream, you might just as well dream big.

ALL hunting of EVERYTHING, in this state, will be banned before mountain lions are put back into huntable status.

It has nothing to do with Fish & Game anyway. Between the State trappers and Federal trappers in California, they already, annually, kill more lions than hunters do collectively, in several western states.

Good luck with this idea.

It would have to be approved by the voters or challenged in the judicial system. The real awnser is MONEY.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

The $600 Million was spent on supplying Cell Phones to all the CA Govt employees here.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I hear that the pig tags are the fish and game largest revenue not bad for being a non native animal.I guess it is all about money.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-29-11 AT 02:17PM (MST)[p]My grandpa has killed over 125 mountain lions in California over the last 30 years. He gets depredations from the DFG, he hunts the ones that kill farmers cattle and other livestock. He used to do a lot of lion hunting on the Tejon ranch. He didn't get a depredation for 2010 or 2011. He was, at one point, the best lion hunter in California. He would always get calls from rancheres who didnt have hounds to go take care of them, they would be calling from all around the state. Now he just gets his hounds on a lion run for fun. He mainly just trees the animals and knocks them out of the tree and gets them on run again. But I would love to have a mountain lion season.

That post was probably not the smartest thing to place on a public forum.....for so many reasons!

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

>That post was probably not the
>smartest thing to place on
>a public forum.....for so many
>reasons!
>
>
>"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much
>of a crime"

Are you referring to me? If so he had depredations so it was legal for him to kill lions if the rancheres had problems with them. They even had an article in the local paper about it.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-30-11 AT 10:06AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-30-11 AT 10:04?AM (MST)

"Now he just gets his hounds on a lion run for fun. He mainly just trees the animals and knocks them out of the tree and gets them on run again. But I would love to have a mountain lion season. "

I think Nickman was refering to this statement. Going out with your hounds and the intention to tree a lion is hunting weather you kill one or not and is illegal. Also admitting to knocking them out of the tree would be harrasment and is illegal as well. I know, I know...."we were coon,bear,bobcat,fox anything that is legal hunting". Would'nt be the first time a houndsmen used that excuse. I would tell your gramps to lay low especially if he is so famous.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Well, not that I really care, but harassing wildlife is against the law and harassing wildlife with dogs is even more against the law.

You probably should not ADMIT that it is happening.

I would not want to think I got my grandfather in trouble with DFG, or the "nature fakers" that think lions need their protection......but it's a free country, do what you want.

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

I meant when he had the depredation permit they would let him run the lions for practice. But he's too old to do that now. He actually hasn't done a link run in a while because he gay hit by a truck and broke his leg having to get screws and plates in it. But I didn't mean that he has run a lion recently. He gas hardly got his hounds out since he broke his leg.

>Well, not that I really care,
>but harassing wildlife is against
>the law and harassing wildlife
>with dogs is even more
>against the law.
>
>You probably should not ADMIT that
>it is happening.
>
> I would not want to
>think I got my grandfather
>in trouble with DFG, or
>the "nature fakers" that think
>lions need their protection......but it's
>a free country, do what
>you want.
>
>
This was a few years ago whenhe had the permit making it legal. But sorry I won't post any more of it.
>"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much
>of a crime"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-30-11 AT 10:54AM (MST)[p]And if he did get on a run he would have to tell the DFG exactly where it was how long he ran it and how many times he ran it. If he killed one that was a nuisance to a farm be would have to report what alll happened and as soon as he shot it he would turn the lion right in to the DFG.

I know a guy that is doing the same work for Fish and Game on a full time basis. Thank God that there are a few like him on the payroll or we would have even less of what we have left!

There is a goodly amount of established legal control of these animals, especially the "trouble" ones, that goes unreported. Fine by me!

Joey

Get a petition going I will sign along with aleast 3,000 others,and we will see what happens.............Buh-Raa

I'm outta touch with lion hunting cause i don't own hounds but don't they have a season where you can tree them with dogs?? I know when they initiated the Prop ban (Not the Regan ban) they could be ran but not killed. Did that change???

And I have 2 friends with hounds. One I know runs lions regularly. The other runs cats and occasionally the hounds will cross a lion track that is fresher then the cat. The cat hunter does catch lions in Nevada.

I talked to one of them yesterday. California did away with the "Training Season." He ran his dogs 3 days last week and caught 3 lions (Nevada) and took one bobcat in Kali.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom