Rifle for son

couesbitten

Was looking for some opinions and thoughts regarding a rifle for my son. First, he is coming up on his 10th birthday, is 4ft 2in tall, and weighs about 65 lbs. He just passed his hunter safety and is thinking he might be ready to go on his first deer hunt. I have been trying to decide what kind of rifle/caliber to get him, and have been looking at Winchesters and Rugers because I personally like the three position safety. For calibers, I have been looking at the .308 because I like the selection of bullets available for .30 cal. A friend at work suggested that I might try loading a 30.06 or something like that on the light side, so as to reduce recoil and then as he gets older and bigger I can just increase the charge as he grows. I've just begun reloading, and although this sounds feasible, I just not sure. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, Scott/couesbitten

Hello couesbitten. A Ruger 77 would be a great starter rifle. I got my wife set up with one. You can cut the stock down easily on a Ruger 77 to help fit him good. As far as caliber I would look at the 6.5x55, if you handload. A few members here have 6.5's and my wife just loves her's. It's gaining in popularity as of late, maybe not so much out west here. Very light recoiling and a little better ballistics than the 7mm-08 that a lot of women/ kids start on. If you handload then I would go that route. Good luck.

Remington and Federal now make reduced recoil ammo for the .270, .30-06, and .308. They are supposed to reduce the recoil to about half. I will probably buy my son the Ruger compact in a .308 and shoot reduced recoil ammo in it for a couple of years. He is seven. Last year, my Son shot a .223 single shot. There is no recoil and he enjoys shooting it. It would be great if you could get a light rifle like that with a scope on it for him to practice with.

For a starter rifle for a 10 yr old for deer sized game try a .257 Roberts, a 7mm-08, or a .243. Less recoil and bite than 30 calibers. Several models to choose from in both new and used markets. Both my kids started on a .257 Ackley in a Win mod 70 featherweight. If you go with the .243 be sure to use 100gr. bullets for deer. Bullets less than 100 gr in .243 are designed for varmints.

Phantom Hunter

If you look at the 7mm-08 ballistically you will find that it is plenty of gun for most North American game. The recoil is surprisingly mild. Reloading is easy too, plenty of bullet weights to choose from. I like a 120 gr. Barnes X for deer and hogs.

Do not be afraid to go with a lighter caliber such as the .243 or .257 for deer like game (unless you are going for hogs also). My brother just dropped a buck last year at almost 300 yards with his 243. Many people underestimate these caliber's abilities. It would be perfect in a youth/compact rifle with a nice recoil pad. It would also double nicely as a varmint rifle. I haven't tried any reduced recoil rounds, but still wouldn't start off a 65 lb kid with a .308. I was about 150 lb kid when i first started shooting my first and only rifle (30-06). I developed a hell of flinch that took a lot of rounds to shake off.

I agree with the 7mm-08 as a great choice. For my son I first got a remy youth model 7 in that caliber, but after I bought my tikka t-3 I sold the remy and got him a tikka t-3 ss/syn in 7mm-08. It was a great move. He shoots it well. Likes the smooth action, detachable mag and it is light, so he can hold it steady. Don't forget that most young shooters don't have a lot of arm strength so it's hard for them to hold the gun up for long. Make sure you look at the tikkas before you buy. They are a great gun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom