RMB unit?

wackandstack

I would like to get some opinions on what unit is better for RMB here in UT? Newfoundland or Nine mile range creek. Ive never been to either so I need some help before I put my name in the hat. Thanks

Don't know much about either unit. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Newfoundlands are Cali's and Range Creek is Rocky's. I have 18 points going into the drawing so I'm checking my options as well.

>Don't know much about either unit.
>Correct me if I'm wrong
>but the Newfoundlands are Cali's
>and Range Creek is Rocky's.
>I have 18 points going
>into the drawing so I'm
>checking my options as well.
>

Your correct. It just depends on what you want to hunt.

There's always next year

Nine Mile and Rattlesnake are the best in the state for RMB. Lots of sheep and a awesome hunt. No other units compare in quality.

Thanks for the info guys. So it looks like there will be two seasons for the Nine mile Range creek unit. What season will be the best one to draw? Thanks

Range creek is the best of the two units by far. Later would be better for rut activity but sheep will be rutting for both hunts.
Early hunt will be better if you plan on packing in to the northern reaches of the unit. Weather can be a factor in accessing the northern end. You will see lots of sheep on both hunts and killing a respectable ram won't be a problem.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-14 AT 09:05AM (MST)[p]> Range creek is the best
>of the two units by
>far. Later would be better
>for rut activity but sheep
>will be rutting for both
>hunts.
> Early hunt will be better
>if you plan on packing
>in to the northern reaches
>of the unit. Weather can
>be a factor in accessing
>the northern end. You will
>see lots of sheep on
>both hunts and killing a
>respectable ram won't be a
>problem.

+1^^^^

I'd take either tag, no worries.
You'll have ample opportunity with either the early or late hunt. They're just different dates and a little different approach to hunting. Both will require lots of glassing and wading through lesser rams.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Zeke

The Newfys are a much easier draw, but hunting the California sub-species of Rocky Mountain Bighorns, is always a step down in horn size. They are still Rocky Mt Sheep and there are plenty of good Cali rams on that mountain.
I'd say your decision depends on how soon you want to draw. No doubt the Green River sheep get most of the attention in Utah, but any sheep hunt is a true adventure, especially if you are willing to make it so.
There are 300 sheep on the Newfys right now. They took 9 (almost all ewes) off the mountain yesterday to supplement the New Oak Creek herd. I volunteered Saturday but the turbulent weather wouldn't allow flying so they didn't get any sheep. They were hoping to take 30 more off, but will have to wait until next year.
Good luck on the draws regardless of where you put in.

LBH said; "The Newfys are a much easier draw"

I guess it depends on how you define "much easier"!

True draw odds, removing the max points applicants and tags, works out to be 1 in 149 vs 1 in 131. There's not enough different to put in your eye! But, either tag is just a lightning strike away! haha

If a guy wants a Rocky v Cali, or the other way around, just apply for what you want since a guy really cannot play the odds when the odds are that close.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-14 AT 01:00PM (MST)[p]You got me there Zeke!
"MUCH better odds" is an overstatement for sure! But here is my point:
Top RMB point holders almost all go for the Green River Sheep. So applicants with less than top points but still have top tier points, may shave a few years, to a decade, off waiting by going for a Cali ram.
The average Newfy ram will score 160ish. Honestly that is about what most Wyoming Rocky Rams score, so it's all relative.
Drawing any sheep tag is hard!

>Top RMB point holders almost all
>go for the Green River
>Sheep. So applicants with
>less than top points but
>still have top tier points,
>may shave a few years,
>to a decade, off waiting
>by going for a Cali
>ram.
>Drawing any sheep tag is hard!
>

All that^^^ is sooooo true LBH.
We just needed to define; top points holders v top tier points holders v all the rest of us dogs!!!! LOL

Unless you're in one or the top two groups it matters nothing where to apply. It's all a matter of chance... 1 in 140 chance!!!

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom