Rocker Ted Nugent pleads no contest to California deer hunting violations

270hunt

Published: Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2010 - 12:00 am | Page 1B
Last Modified: Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2010 - 2:12 pm
Rock star Ted Nugent, a 1970s guitar hero for hits including "Cat Scratch Fever," has recently created a successful second career as an advocate for hunting and outdoor ethics.

His television show, "Spirit of the Wild," is a four-time "Golden Moose" award winner on the Outdoor Channel. He has used his celebrity status to help promote better pay and working conditions for California game wardens, and consistently rails against poachers and other wildlife criminals.

So it was with a double take of disbelief that two California game wardens sat down in February to watch the show, and witnessed Nugent allegedly violate several California hunting laws.

The Feb. 9 episode showed Nugent killing a young male deer with bow and arrow near the El Dorado County town of Somerset.

The wardens were alarmed because the footage appeared to show Nugent killing a "spike" buck, or one whose antlers have not yet grown long enough to fork. Killing such a young deer is illegal in California.

It also appeared to show the deer feeding on a powdery material spread on the ground before it was shot.

The Department of Fish and Game launched an investigation, spokesman Patrick Foy said, which later revealed this material to be a commercial deer bait. It is illegal in California to hunt with bait.

"We looked at it and we just shook our heads, saying 'I can't believe he actually aired this episode,' " Foy said. "We were all really disappointed to see this happen with a guy who is a representative of hunters."

Nugent was later charged with 11 misdemeanors related to events that unfolded on his own television show, Foy said.

On Friday, following a plea deal with the Yuba County district attorney, Nugent pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in Yuba Superior Court: illegally baiting a deer, and failing to have a deer tag signed by a government official after a kill.

Nugent did not appear in court. He was represented by Yuba City attorney Jack Kopp, who did not respond to a request for comment on Tuesday. The 61-year-old rocker, who lives in China Springs, Texas, was penalized with a $1,750 fine.

Attempts to reach Nugent and his business representatives Tuesday were unsuccessful.

The hunt occurred in September 2009 but was not broadcast until February. The charges were filed in Yuba County because Nugent was accompanied by a guide and cameraman on the hunt, and that is where they live.

The guide, Ross Albert Patterson, pleaded no contest to taking an animal illegally and was fined $1,225.

Foy said the investigation revealed that Nugent killed three deer on different occasions in El Dorado County using bait.

Nugent, long an outspoken defender of hunting and gun rights, has been a board member of the National Rifle Association for 15 years. Ironically, he wrote an opinion article on one of the association's websites in 2008 arguing that hunters send the wrong message when they constantly tout their ethics.

He said this "does nothing but cast a dark cloud over the entire hunting community as if 'ethical' is a rarity and must be emphasized. ? Ethical behavior is still expected where I live, work and play. There is no need to claim it."

Nugent's violations have caused an uproar in the hunting community. Baiting is a controversial practice, even in states where it is allowed under certain conditions.

As early as October, some observant hunters on an Internet forum suspected there was a problem when they noted a description of the hunt in question that appeared online. It included a commercial bait in the list of gear Nugent used.

"I've heard from a couple of our members about it, and they are, quite frankly, shocked," said Jim Lidberg, a board member of the California Deer Association, a hunting and conservation group. "I'm very disappointed in him. He's been a very strong advocate for hunters' rights and really looked up to by a lot of people."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/08/18/29...link=lingospot_related_articles#ixzz0zKSFPRKd

Regardless if Mr. Nugent was using the services of an outfitter/guide, it is his responsibility to be familiar
with the game laws governing the state he is hunting in.
There is no excuse for him not knowing that baiting and
killing a spike is illegal in CA and for his guide to have
allowed him to do so is equally reprehensible.
I hope Mr. Nugent will use this incident as a learning mo-
ment and redouble his effort on behalf of hunters and wild-
life.
Sometimes being a passionate and vocal advocate can be a
"#####", especially when you have been caught on the wrong
side of your advocacy.

ELDORADO

Thanks for the heads up Manny.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LOL....

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Why would you travel to California to hunt? Why would you hire a guide to shoot a spike buck? Do you really need to bait in spike bucks, are they that smart in Cali? The poaching aside, what kind of hunter is he really if he has to hire a guide to shoot a spike buck over bait? I can not get over someone traveling to California to go hunting for a spike buck!

I have obtained a transcript of the plea from Uncle Ted his lawyer read in open court. Here it is:

Court clerk:"Case Number 09 1235-003-State of California v. Theodore Nugent."

Judge:"How does your client plead Mr. Kopp?"

Mr. Kopp:"I have a statement from my client to read,Your Honor."

Judge:"Proceed,Mr. Kopp."

Mr. Kopp:"The Motor City Madman meant no harm,O Regal One. The powder on the ground merely attracted the Spirit of the beast with it's siren song of 'C'Mere Deer'. The beast responded and Uncle Ted believes all bloodbrothas are duty-bound to launch the mystical flight of the arrow at any creature which possesses the succulent backstraps of life-even if the spikes adorning it's brow are not deemed kosher by the great State of California. I am merely a Stalker of the Beast who was victimized by the primal,inborn,innate,predatory God-given instinct to slay the Beast that dwells within each of us-even you Your Majestic One-if you will simply tap into it.

Therefore while I plead 'No Contest' to this trivial charge brought against me by those who would silence the blood-loving,gun-toting,backstrap barbecuing, liver-of-life predator known as good-ol' Uncle Ted, please know I will never surrender or retreat on our rights as God-loving Americans to whack and stack the Beast wherever he may be found!

PHI-SLAMA JAMA KNICK KNACK PADDY WHACK GIVE A DOG A BONE! THE BEAST IS DEAD LONG LIVE THE BEAST!!!!!!"

End of transcript.

Or something like that....

:)

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-10 AT 06:53PM (MST)[p]That's good CBeard! Really Good!

I wonder how people would react if Uncle Ted had gone into their state, in their hunting areas, killed illegal deer and broke the Game laws to put on a TV show??

OH, it's Uncle Ted, it's OK?

Joey

Joey just to be clear and protect myself from a lawsuit you should know I made that up....

I understand why the troops appreciate him coming over and that is indeed a good gesture, not sure it makes up for him pooping his pants for 3 weeks to get out of Vietnam though.I did not make that up.

;-)

Troop supporter YES
Sportsman NO

I'd be pissed if he came to Montana and blatantly broke a bunch of our game laws just to kill the beast. He can shoot all the farm animals he wants but leave the hunting to us.

He broke a law, it happens. I would guess that there is not one person on here that has not broke a law or two in their days. Not talking only wildlife violations. He still does more for our gun rights than anyone. I don't condone what he did but he still is someone that does great things for every hunter. I have way less of a problem with what he did "against the law" then how the big money guides hunt "legal".

He makes hunters look like slobs and that's good??? He didn't accidently run a stop sign for God's sake.

If we are so desperate to ever NEED someone like Ted then we are in really sad shape.

Pathetic!

Maybe he just wanted to stir the pot and dislikes California.I mean most tv shows are whitetail hunting over food plots and huge trophy bucks,and he takes a spike over a bait pile.In one way they are the same thing,a dead deer.no more,no less.It may be a silly law to him.

>
>
>Bean Man is right on!!
>pc

Did you miss your AA meeting this week? lol

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

>Thanks for the heads up Manny.
>
>
>"A well regulated militia, being necessary
>to the security of a
>free state, the right of
>the people to keep and
>bear arms shall not be
>infringed."

sorry that wentover my head

makes you wonder how many of the alpha male hunting show hosts are actually lazy unskilled hunters. A while back I watched the Pig Man hunting elk in utah in deep snow and he was out spreading the hay all over to bait. I challenged him about it and even went to some of his advertisers and told them about his baiting elk in utah. He lost an advertiser. I then got a notice from the pig man threatening a lawsuit because baiting was legal in utah. Upon contacting The UDWR I was told "baiting is legal, but considered highly unethical". I then got to apologize to the pig man, because I said it was unlawful, and it wasn't. A lawsuit to defend his lazy, unethical practice I thought told me everything I needed to know about that guy. How many more of the experts are in this vein?

I'm not familiar with this "Pig Man" of whom you speak.He sounds appropriately named though....

BOGUS I SAY BOGUS C'MERE DEER DOESNT EVEN WORK UH ER UH SO I HAVE HEARD WINK

cowhorn, do you truly believe that Nugent or anyone else
has the right to observe any game law that they wish and
violate those that they feel are "silly"?
Then if you do, you are then describing a poacher. There
is no justification period for what Nugent or his guide
did and to suggest that he had a "motive" or "right" to
choose what game law he saw fit to respect or violate, is
just lame.

ELDORADO

Nah,I didn't mean that I agreed with what he did.He is a "great tv hunter" and so he may think he can do whatever.And probably doesn't care as much as us regular hunters,no matter what he says or does.Us hunters in the real world know the laws and if you don't follow them you are wrong.

i honestly dont think he was out there blatantly breaking all of the fish and game laws that he could. like someone said... why go to all the lengths of hiring a guide and flying to california just to shoot a spike over bait? you could do that anywhere in the USA. just turn your headlights off and drive up the canyon really fast. It is our job, like others have stated, to kow the rules and regulations of hunting in the states that we either hunt or desire to hunt. Thats always the first thing i do when the new proclamation comes out. Ted, if you are reading this, i do enjoy your shows, i do enjoy your help with fish and game preservation etc around the country.

hopefully they aren't doing this just to make an example of him...that always sucks. they should only do it to paris hilton. :) if you are reading this paris... well i dont think she can read... never mind! :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom