Ruger M77 Question

ORsouthpaw

I have been looking for a smaller rifle for my wife and eventually my son. I have the opportunity to pick up a M77 MK II Compact in 7mm-08 with a Burris 3-9x40mm scope on it for 525.00. Do you think that this is a fair price for this rifle. It has had less then 20 rounds through it and appears to be in great shape. What do you think?

If possible, test fire it first. Might be a reason they are getting rid of it with only a few rounds fired. One reason might be BIG GROUPS.

RELH

Good advice, I've sold A LOT of guns over the years, not one of them grouped under an inch. the really crappy shooting ones still had cosmoline on them.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-07 AT 04:21PM (MST)[p]I won't be able to shoot it before I buy it so what else can I look for that might keep me from getting this gun? How about the rifle itself, is 525.00 for a like new Ruger Compact 7mm-08 w/ a Burris varible a decent buy?

I don't know used gun values. I have only bought 2 rifles before, Brownings in .270 and .300 Win Mag. I didn't get to shoot these before I bought them either, both turned out to be incredibly accurate.

Should I pass because I can't shoot this one?

I would pass, 525.00 is not a bargain for that combo, and when it comes to a M-77, they are not in the same league as a Browning on the chances of getting a accurate shooting rifle.
I know of more guys dumping M-77's due to poor accuracy then I have seen with other brands.

RELH

I know guys that buy deer/elk rifles and throws a fit if they don't shoot 1 inch at a 100 yards at the range off a leadsled. I don't know to many guys that can shoot a rifle while hunting that good anyway..( ok maybe one )..What kind of accuracey do you need..Minute of elk does fine most of the time...any way you can always blame the bad shooting on the gun......RIMROCK

I'm not really looking for a tack driver as much as I am sommething that will produce consistent results. If my wife or son could shoot sub MOA groups then I would be a little more finicky. As it is I think anything that will produce 2" or less groups consitently at 100 yards is probably going to accurate enough.

Your logic is backwards, if the person is only capable shooting 3-5 inch groups from a hunting position, and you give them a rifle that is only capable of 2 inch groups, you end up with 5-7 inch groups. if you like the rifle, buy it, but you are not getting a bargain which is what you asked about.
The ruger ultra lite rifle is running about 300 bucks in good condition, 380 in excellant condition, That Burris scope is not worth over 90-100 bucks used. 480 bucks tops, you better get them to lower the price or walk away and do some more shopping.

RELH

I understand where your coming from. What I should have said was that a sub MOA isn't a requirement in a first rifle for my wife and son. Certainly as they shoot more and become more acustom to the recoil and such a more refined piece of equipment would be in order. I will try to talk him down a bit when I take a look at it tomorrow. Here's a photo:

Ruger7mm-08.jpg

With that photo I can see one problem right off the bat that your wife, and your son will have shooting that rife. It appears that he used a high set of rings to mount that scope and your wife is going to have problems getting a proper cheek weld to the stock while shooting. that is unless she has a neck that is longer then normal. You may have to figure in a new set of rings to lower that scope. Also check it for clearance with the bolt to see if you can lower it.

RELH

I agree with everything RELH has said.

Before you buy this rifle check into the Remington Model 7 and model 7 youth. JMHO

horsepoop.gif

Another vote for pass, especially if you can't shoot it first. If this is an older rifle and the barrel was made by wilson then your chances for any accuracy are even lower. I'd buy a T-3 and call it good.

Thanks guys, for the good info! I decided to pass on it and hold out for a Browning Micro Hunter. I have had only good luck with the Browning line.

>Thanks guys, for the good info!
>I decided to pass on
>it and hold out for
>a Browning Micro Hunter. I
>have had only good luck
>with the Browning line.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom