San Juan Bear Hunt

M

MrBaitnFish

Does anyones know why they restricted the use of dogs in the San Juan unit this year during the first part of the hunt?

I downloaded the 2003 bear info yesterday and don't see what you are refering to amigo. I don't read well but what I can see tells me that dogs are ok for the pursuit season this spring and restricted for pursuit from 8-24 to 9-29. If you have a tag that doesn't apply. Kind of sucks for us non-kill guys though. If you are a non-kill guys Arizona is open and Idaho has tons of bar' to chase.

The way Idaho works is you go to the bar, find a drunked up native and pack him or her with you while in the woods. All them guys are lightweights so just keep feeding them beer for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They'll stay drunk a long time on just a couple of beers. This is much less hassle than trying to draw a limited non-resident pursuit permit.

Ed

The Proclimation says that bear persuit is closed from 8/23-9/28, on the San Juans and a few other S.E. units. The reason I think this is, is for the limited entry elkhunts archery/any weapon/ and muzz are during that time period, But it's also because the elk are in the rut usually somewhere in the middle of those dates and the DWR doesn't want hounds in addition to the limited nuimber of hunters also disturbing the elk during the rut. That's what I understand anyway, maybe there is more to it then that.

Plenty of bear though, those that draw don't need dogs on the San Juans.

Travis
Blanding, Ut.

B_P,
We're planning a spring hunt up your way and would like to run the bears in the San Juans. Got any suggestions on areas with lots of bears where dog recovery is possible?

Ed, www.shwounds.com

B.P. I also assumed that the reason for no pursuit this fall was because of the ongoing archery hunts, but I wasn't sure. It was open to pursuit last year. Were there any conflicts you heard of. I probably wont draw with three bonus points anyway. Last year the odds were 14-1. Do you know if the Forest Service permits baiting on Elk Ridge?

That was kind of my thinking. I'm not traveling up to shoot with anything but a video camera. Maybe the running will keep them from munching so many fawns? If the San Juans aren't good to go I'll be in the Dawg Train on the LaSals. I'm hearing he took up the train business since the passing of Mr. Robb. All the UA's hook with him and drive around rigging bears.

Ed

Mr.BaitnFish
I didn't hear of any conflicts, in fact we were guiding two different elk hunters and quite frequently could hear hounds in the distance and saw several camps, they didn't bother us any really.

I've got 4 points so I'm holding my breath, but it will probably take 6, unless we are lucky.

San Juan is open for baiting but only for Limited entry archery, and then it takes tons of paper work and red tape through the
DWR in order to do so.

If you happen to draw though, look me up, it doesn't take bait or dogs on the San Juans, from memorial day to columbus day las year I saw over 20 myself, so I'd be happy to help.

Travis

Ed,
If I'm reading hte Proc. right their is no persuit for bears on the San Juans or the LaSal's or LaSal Dolores triangle, or the book cliffs, from June 5th-Sept. 29. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

But bring your camera and come in late July and early Aug. that's whent he berries are on, lots of video and pics, lots of bears.

Travis

I'm headed up during the pursuit season the end of May. No berries at that time I'm sure. We've found them eating grass and pulling stumps before. I've never been in the San Juan unit. I've heard there are lots of bears but recovering dogs takes a trip to Lake Powell. Don't know, that's just what I heard. Last year a spring fire shut down the mountain and some guys lost dogs they never did recover.

Ed

Ed,
If you are comming in May, lets go.

Recovering dogs isn't hard if you know where to turn them loose.
If you want send me a message or email when you finalize your plans. We usually take our two campers (one on north elk and one on south elk) by memorial day, that would make a fun weekend.

Travis

WELL,WELL,WELL,IT"S ABOUT TIME THE DWR MADE SOME RULES THAT MAKE SOMEWHAT SENSE.AS LONG AS IT TAKES TO DRAW A SAN JUAN ELK TAG,LETS GIVE THE GUYS AND GALS A QUALITY HUNT.
LETS ALSO GIVE THE HOUNDSMEN SOME QUALITY TIME.
JUST TRY HUNTING THE UINTA"S IF YOU WANT TO SEE EVERYBODY PI$$ED AT EVERYBODY,THEY DONT GIVE THE HOUNDSMEN ANY TIME WITHOUT BEING OVERLAPPED WITH BIG GAME HUNTS,THEN THESE GUYS HUNTING COW ELK GET PI$$ED AT THE HOUNDSMEN.THE HOUNDSMEN LIKE TO HUNT JUST LIKE BIG GAME HUNTERS.THE DWR CAUSED ALOT OF THE PROBLEM WHEN THEY HAVE THESE COW HUNTS FOR SEVERAL MONTHS.I"VE SEEN THE DWR EXTEND THE COW HUNTS THROUGH DEC. AND ON SOME YEARS THROUGH FEB.{KILL & TRY AND EAT AN ELK THIS TIME OF YEAR,I"LL PASS ON THEM STEAKS.
WELL BOYS,WITH ALL THE GOOD CHANGES {ONLY SEEN 3 GOOD CHANGES IN MY DAY} IF WE ALL LIVED A 100 LIFETIMES WE"D MIGHT SEE THE MULE DEER MAKE A COMEBACK,BUT I KNOW I"M NOT GOING TO LIVE THAT LONG. LATER bobcat.

Proclamations are to wipe your butt when Ed forgets to bring toilet paper to camp.

I could care less what they do to the pursuit or kill season, I'm going to go chase bears whenever and wherever the hell I feel like it.

I'll say it again, the only way I'd get a ticket is if the bear leaves the mountain and they tree it in front of the Circle K in Monticello.

I could care less if the DWR wants me on the mountain with my hounds or not... and I care even less what deer or elk hunters think.

Close the stuff down, it just clears out the hills for me and my buddies. And save your breath giving me a lecture about laws and rules. When hound guys are treated as equals with deer and elk hunters, I may consider changing my ways.

Until then anyone wearing a badge given to them by the DWR can bite me. And if one day I decide that my dogs need a bear shot down to them, I don't care if it's July or October, that sucker is gonna meet it's maker. Otherwise I'll just shoot it with a camera like I usually do and send it on it's merry way.

I got enough other laws I need to obey. I gave myself a Lifetime Governors Tag Fill in the Blank on the Species, and that's my license to hunt. Spring bear Ed, you name the spot and I'm there buddy... getting my fat dogs outrun by lean bears!! I'll bring the toilet paper and in case I forget you round up one of those Utah Proclamations and we'll all use it.

-Dawg

Dawg- I'm totally with you. I couldn't have said it better myself. These fishcops couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were on the heel. These fishcops are nothing more than a bunch of pencil pushing dipshits. I'm fed up with babying the elk and deer hunters.
And for these deer and elk hunters; I had a run in this fall with some bowhunters. They ruined the last two weeks of bear season for me. I wasn't scared of what they were going to do to me but I was afraid of them getting ahold of one of my dogs. I have had it with these camoed up dipshits. If I ever run into those stick flickers again I'll be joining you in the pen,(dawg) cause this sorry sack of crap won't live to tell another story. And if Mr. bowhunter that met me in the hills of Idaho should happen to read this you can definitely take this as a threat. I will be back in the same place the same time this year. See you there.
Beartree

B.P. you're right about not needing dogs there. I've been videoing bears there the last two years. Infact, my father-in-law killed a nice one last fall, with no bonus points. He lives in Blanding also. As of today it looks like I'm just going to put in for a bonus point because I'll be spending september filming Brown bear hunts for an outfitter in Alaska. The odds should be better this year if the dog guys wont be able to hunt it.

Houndawg: I just gotta say, I love your attitude. And I'm not being cynical either. Black bear, come on now, not all bowhunters are bad. What happened in Idaho?

I wonder where I can get one of the "Lifetime Governors Tag, Fill in the Blank on the Species"... :7 :7

You have to attend the DAWGS annual hound doggers fund raising banquet!! The tags are auctioned off to the person who can supply the most beer and the best looking women;-)

Thanks for the Heads up Catmando - Tell me who won last year and what they brought... I think I have a couple of cans in the garage that I can bring, and my neighbor has a daughter that he was looking to pimp out, she is 48 years young, bald, with one tooth - Does that get me close to the Top of the Competition?

Hey Ed, all we are doing in Idaho is pushing out of staters into Utah so dawg can deal with them! I do like how you were able to get an out of state pursuit permit, I was hoping that you would of kept that a little quiter. Don't worry beartree that stick flicker, his time will come! until the tree

Keepemtreed

Treed,
I prefer to pick up the Idaho men to be truthful. They will do anything for another drink and slapping a pop knot on their forehead just improves their looks. All are super lazy so leaving them at the truck isn't a problem, their too trashy even to steal the stuff. I'll I do is tell them I've got some smack hidden on the outfit and leave for the tree.

Idaho women however are a pain in the hindend. They are so undersexed that all they want is a man at attention. They take twice the alcohol to keep happy and if there blood content ever gets less than .2% they want the man right now. Can't even get a full day hunting done with a Idaho woman in the truck.

We're setting up for the hunt in Utah amigos. It's so hot down here I'm sure we have bears out in the low country right now. My dogs will be ready to run.

Ed

Ed,
I just talked to the DWR from Monticello last night,
He said that one can persue and chase during the aug-sept. if the have a persuit permit AND also someone in the group with a valid bear tag.

But he said that guys that do not have a valid bear tag in their group and were persuing with a persue permit only would be ticketed if caught during the Aug23- Sept. 29th.

But that is only on the west side of hwy 191, their are plenty on the east side as well if you want to come chase them in the fall. But if you do come in May let me know.

Travis

We are looking forward to the utah trip, the weather up here has made a 180 turn. We went from high fourties last week to the teens this week with a little bit of snow here and there. I wouldn't be talkin to trashy about these idaho women at least we can get a little! I have heard that arizona boys will do about anything to try and get a little, I mean if you are scoutin down in gallup that alone says it all! I hope your dogs will be ready to run because you may be the only one catching da bears.

keepemtreed

Treed,
The only thing I can say about AZ men is they know how to treat ladies. That's why so many of you Idaho guys show up to marry them. We raise them right and treat them right. If straying is on our minds we always go to New Mex. Them Gallup women are similar to the Idaho ones. That's why every fall the Dawg drive 12 hours to hunt with the finest bear hounds around during the day and sleep with the sleeqiest women all night. Can't argue with that Mexican food either.

Ed

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom