Scared Stiff

Bow6x6

My Uncle tells a "story" of a buck he shot years ago that I thought I would share with you guys. My Dad and my Uncle used to go to the same area every year on opening weekend, rifle. They both killed many, many nice bucks over the years. My Uncle still uses the same old model 94, 30-30 that he shot all those bucks with. He has this big granite rock he sits on and uses it like a tree stand. Well one year he had just climbed down off his rock and was going to cross the creek and head back to camp. The creek bottom was covered with willow bushes and the deer had made tunnels through it. As he entered the tunnel he came face to face with a buck coming toward him. He took one quick shot from the hip and the buck drop straight down. My dad, hearing the shot, joined him shortly after and helped him get it back to camp. Why this is so intriguing is because they never did find a bullet hole. Even after skinning it and searching for a clue. So, is this a bunch of bull or have you guys ever seen or heard of something like this happening before? Do you think it is possible that it just scared it to death? This happened many years ago and they both still tell the same old story. I have no reason to believe they would make this up. What do you think?

Bo

My guess would be the buck was shot in the face... thats why they didnt uncover the bullet hole when they skinned it. If you have ever witnessed a slaughter company kill a cow, you would know what I am reffering to. I bet the bullet went in, and never came out.
I have NEVER heard of a buck dieing from being scared.. these animals have to constantly be on their gard from predators.
buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

A buddy of mine and I had a similar experience with an elk. My buddy made a shot on the elk that was slightly quartering to us and the elk went down. When we walked up to it, we didn't see any entry or exit holes. My buddy said he aimed for the chest so we looked all around but didn't find any bullet hole at all. I joked that my buddy killed the bull with his butt ugly face. Once we got back to camp and started skinning I noticed a small trickle of blood coming from inside the bulls ear. Turns out it was a snowballs chance in hell that the bullet went thru the bulls open mouth and out its ear. The were no noticable signs of a wound unless you opened the bulls mouth and looked at the back of the throat. We would have never figured it out if I didn't notice the small trickle of blood coming from the inside of the bulls ear. That was the craziest shot I've ever seen.
-Raptor

The fight or flight instinct would have kicked in before he died from shock or being scared. I agree with Browtine - a face shot or grazed him in the head and knocked him out.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Ive seen the same thing with a muzz killed muley, shot right at the base of the eye, just a few drops of blood below it.

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

My dad got a buck a few years ago that when he shot it the bullet barely skinned the top of the head and must of knocked him out; who knows. But, you can see where the bullet cut away the hair on the skull.

PH

A friend of mines dad shot a buck and they swear to this day that it died without being hit. I'm a little skeptical but know I've heard it from you so maybe.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom