Scary AZ Hunt!

H

Huntinfool22

LAST EDITED ON Sep-23-10 AT 02:41PM (MST)[p]This last week my cousin Robert asked me if I would go hunting with him. Robert mentioned to me that he had never killed or called in a coyote and wanted to experience it. I decided to take him to an area where I could do some scouting for my wife's deer hunt in late October. We arrived in the hunting area late Saturday afternoon and we made our first stand. We hiked in about a 1/4 mile and set up on a point over looking some ridges and fingers below. We had an excellent view of all the country below us but where we were sitting the brush was really think. I began calling using a small jackrabbit hand call. After about five sets of calls my cousin Robert pointed to his ear and whispered he had heard something. I stopped calling and began to listen for the noise. I could not hear anything at first but then I heard slow footsteps of an animal that was very close to us. Suddenly out of no where this mountain lion appeared about five yards in front of me!!!! I was scared and nervous and excited all at the same time! The lion was staring straight at me with its ears pinned back and I could only see the front half of his body. The other half was behind the brush and I could see his tail flickering back and forth above the brush.
The lion was crouched down ready to attack. I couldn't believe what was happening! I slowly raised my gun and turned to the right and shot. I didn't even aim down my scope because the lion was to close. I simply pointed my barrel at its shoulder and shot. The lion immediately dropped! I was so so excited!!! So many emotions were running through me I was happy but I was also in shock how close it was to me. Robert and I got really lucky that the lion came in front of us and not behind. I shot it right through its left shoulder and it exited its right shoulder blowing out his lungs. The lion was a large male tom and I had a tag that I had bought a few weeks prior when I went deer hunting with my Uncle on the AZ strip. It was a dream come true! To have a lion come in to a coyote call is absolutly insane and very rare I am just grateful that nothing bad happened to us. It was a rush! My cousin Robert has the fever to call now but I am pretty sure that this will never happen to him again. It was a once in a lifetime
experience!

9474preston_i_phone_pix_021.jpg

5196preston_i_phone_pix_025.jpg

1914preston_i_phone_pix_024.jpg

Yeah I was planning on doing a rug but my dad is talking me into doing a full body mount so I guess we will see what happens.

Great job. I have been trying to call a Lion for over 10 years now without success. I can't count how many days I have spent tracking to canyon rims and calling . It is on my bucket list as the way I want to kill a Cat. Way to get it done.

Heard a story about a guy calling with his back to a cedar tree, when a cat reached around from behind and grabbed him in the face, apparently when they come in on a call they can be pretty fired up, still waiting for one to show up for us

Awesome story, congrats !
Get it mounted correctly, read the mt lion thread in the taxidermy section. Don't ruin that cat.

Also, there was a spring turkey hunter in northern CA that was attacked by a lion while he was sitting against a tree and calling turkeys. The lion broke off the attack once the hunter began wrestling with him.

awesome cat. Get the body mount with the call in the scene somewhere.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Preston,

You stud! That is truly one of the coolest things I have ever seen on this or any site...you deserve it, you work hard. Thanks again for all of your help on the strip this year, I am glad you bought the tag "just in case" way to GO!!

Tom C.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom