Scope, peep sight or red dot??

Dr_Hunter

Very Active Member
I am from UT, where we are required to use only a 1X scope. I was going to buy the Pine ridge scope or the Alaskan Outfitters scope, but then started reading about peep sigts from past threads which I had never considered. Every Red dot scope that I have looked into has gotten terrible reviews.

Have any of you used the Pine ridge or Alaskan Outfitters scopes? Are peep sights favored over scopes and red dots?

I like a scope when shooting new loads for accuracy,but in most hunting situations the peep sight has served me well.

If legal, I'd go with a scope. If the scope is not legal, I would just go with the peep sight. I really like my peep and it is good out to 200 yards with decent light. But you can't beat the value of magnification. I don't know a thing about the laser sights., etc. I'd just stick with a Leupold.

I've used all three in Utah for muzzy. If you leave the red dot scope on while your hunting and not turning it off its not bad. (missed a beautiful buck one year) I have the Pine ridge and still have it. (retired it) Only problem was the dot was too large for far shots. I had the peep sight but again for far shots I couldn't do much with it. Probally my vision problems, can't see out of one and blind in the other. Only kidding! The 1X I've grown to like, and have done real well with it. Make sure you don't go cheap since the recoil will ruin the cheaper scopes. Go with one that is made for the muzzys. I currently have a TC hunter scope, figurered that made muzzys, so!!! (Actually a cheap scope) Good luck and happy hunting.

I have tried several, scopes and red dot, DO NOT do the red dot! By far the best 1X scope out there is the Burris. Unbeatable in my opinion.

Where did you find the Burris?? I don't think Cabelas nor Sportsmans Warehouse carry it in 1X do they?

I use the Nikon Buckmaster 1X scope when I hunt Utah. I find it easier to hold the cross hairs on the deer rather than iron sights. I bought mine at Natchez gun supply. It also has alot of eye reliefe.

Dr. Hunter,

I will say without any hesitation. PEEP SIGHT!!!!!

Went the 1x scope route and I shoot significantly better with my peeps. The scope was nice enough and of excellent quality (I also had the Burris)but I just couldn't shoot good with it. The crosshairs cover up too much at 100 yards.

Maybe I was just used to peep sights, but I was excstatic to take the scope off and buy a nice Williams peep. I will now never look back.

FH

Dr Hunter, I just did a google search of "Burris 1x" to see if I could find one. I found one for sale for $209 going that route. I PROMISE you that you will not be disappointed with it. I don't know what the other guy was talking about the crosshairs covering up the animal too much at 100 yards. It has the same plex as any other rifle scope. Crosshair vs. front sight as far as covering up an animal? I live in CO so I have to go peep sight here.....don't get me wrong I love the peer sight as well but if CO allowed a 1x scope those peep sights would be in the garbage in about two seconds.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-09 AT 02:31AM (MST)[p]The plex reticle on a 1x scope covers too much of a target because you only have 1x. On a scope set at 4x for example the reticle stays the same size but the target enlarges because of the magnifacation.

The best option by far in 1x is a quality red dot like the Aimpoint with a small 2 MOA dot. Covers less of the target, wider field of view, faster on target on close shots, can shoot with both eyes open and the red dot is more visible in low light situations. The Aimpoint sights are also paralax free at any range.

Battery life on the quality red dots is a non issue.

I understand the difference in magnification and the size of the reticle but it is still MUCH smaller than the front sight of any gun. I'll take a crosshair over a 1 1/2mm iron circle any day.

I've had the exact same red dot scope you are talking about and missed a 170 class buck at 80 yards because of it. They are great in low light, they are great at keep the aim point small but they suck when it's bright out like when I put the stalk on this buck during mid day while in his bed. And what do you do when you've accidently left the red dot on or it got turned on accidently while hiking around with it and you've drained the battery. Both of which have also happened to me, luckily I didn't see anything worth shooting at those days. Anyone want to buy a red dot scope for cheap?!!!!

I am in the same position. I drew a ML elk tag in UT this year. My reading vision (Close in) S*%$S. Open sights are out and have been for the last 3 years. What Red Dot do you have I may be interested. I know of lots of guys that use them with success.

Marley & Dr. Hunter,

I apologize for any misunderstanding. I did not mean that the crosshair covers up the "animal" at 100 yards. Instead, it covered up the entire 6" circle on a target. This makes it extremely difficult to KNOW that I was aiming the exact same point on each shot from the bench. A peep sight using a fine bead front sight, allows me to hold at 6 o'clock on the circle EVERY time and then I KNEW that my shot was consistent. As I shoot many, many, more shots at targets at the range, I felt like it was really frustrating to get "mediocre" results. I tried every different target imaginable to try and remedy the problem. Until I went back to the peep sight and front bead, I just didn't get the results I knew I could.

While hunting, the crosshair was fine due to the "larger" overall target image. I could line up on the front leg with the windage line and then adjust the elevation line where I needed. That said, the peep is significantly easier for me.

Hope that clears up what I said a little bit. At least as clear as mud ;>)

Good luck and most importantly "Aim small, miss small". This is why I like the peep sight.

Firehawk.

I have used all three and would not have a red again, they work well until you batt is dead or you need a quick shoot and are fumbeling to turn it on.

I now use a sightron 1x and love it. out of all the 1xs that i have looked through it is the truest 1x most are less so it looks like you are looking at an object that is farther away

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-09 AT 03:00AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-09 AT 02:57?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-09 AT 02:56?AM (MST)

You had an Aimpoint RED dot?? What model?? How old???

The Aimpoint comp 3 or comp 4 have rediculously long battery life-you don't even turn them off just set them on low, at 50% dot brightness (which I find I use 90% of the time in huting situations) the battery would last almost a month. Also the dot brightness is not a problem in bright conditions

You must have had a much older model. Also its not very hard to carry a extra battery thats only the size of two aspirns as a backup!

I have compared at 100 and 200 yards what the dot on my 2MOA covers verses the plex crosshair on Burris,Nikon and Simmons 1x scopes and I can see much more of the target. There is also the ability to turn the dot brightness way down in some situations at long range and actually see whats behind the dot.

Lets see a pic of you Aimpoint red dot Marley, say its for sale???

I like having a scope on my muzzy's. I just like having crosshairs. I have a nikon 1x and a T/C 1x they are both good scopes. I like the T/C more because it has a 32mm objective lens and the nikon is only 20mm. Both will get the job done.

I agree with marley on the burris scope. I have tried others only to be disappointed. I was able to pick mine up at kents shooters in ogden for $189.00, im not sure if they still have them but I would give it a try. GREAT SCOPE!

I also shoot with a aim point. It is a awesome scope never had any issues. The battery life is not a problem 2 years ago after the hunt I left my scope on went to sight it in one year later and still could see the dot on high power. I think they have like 50,000 hours of battery life. Go with aim point in my experience.

After a lot of investigating and looking into each of your inputs (which I highly appreciate) I decided to go with the scope. I really liked the aimpoint red dot, but was more than what I wanted to spend, and the peep sights also looked good but quite a few people told me they are no good in low light and the scopes are overall advantageous.
I looked into the Burris 1x scope and was very impressed and also the Cabelas Alaskan 1x. However they were more than I wanted to spend. So I went with the Cabelas Pine Ridge 1x. I know some people aren't going to agree with my selection but for the money and the performance so far, I have no complaints. I have used it on three different occasions and my groups have been within 3 inches each time at 100yds (at a gun range). The final test will be this fall. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for all of your advice.

I think Cabelas will let you return tha pine ridge scope.
I had one that came as a kit from Cabelas. Came apart after about 20 shots (and a kick to my nose). They are great about customer service though. The lady on the phone tried to blow me off so I wrote a letter saying I had already replaced it and just sent it back. 1 week later I got a check for the retail value! I sure wouldn't trust one on a hunt.
Ed

I think that I will continue target practicing with it and hope for the best. I have already put about a dozen shots through it and it's done well. The problem is, for just a 1x scope I can't justify spending over $200.00, but if I miss a great opportunity on a big one because of it, I can assure you that I will spend what it takes. What do you use Ed?

LAST EDITED ON May-18-09 AT 03:15PM (MST)[p]
>The problem is, for just
>a 1x scope I can't
>justify spending over $200.00, but
>if I miss a great
>opportunity on a big one
>because of it, I can
>assure you that I will
>spend what it takes.
>

Not to beat a dead horse, but what if you only get one chance? Will a "cheap" scope be worth it then? Only if it works, if it doesn't, then it definitely would have been worth the extra dough.

Check out the Sightron 1x or the Nikon 1x, possibly the TC 1x as they should give you better service and take a licking.

Good luck with the Pine Ridge, you may have years and years of good service with it. Shoot it a lot though, just to make sure.

FH

I have a Nikon 3-9 x 40. $169 at Gander Mountain. Hunted AZ and you can use a scope. I have always preferred scopes and would probably get a Nikon in 1x if I had to. It was the best bang for the buck. I looked at the MZ scope, had the BDC reticle which seemed to cover a lot of real estate. Also it was a short scope but offered about 5" eye relief. Seemed it would limit scope adjustment. I went with the regular rifle scope 3.75 eye relief and more length to adjust to fit me on the gun.
Ed

I am in the market for something to put on top of my Encore for my Fishlake elk hunt htis year. I looked at a Bushell Dot ast night and it was retty noce. Neat thing is it had three different reticle types in both red and green. It had a small cross hair, dot, and circle with dot inside. Anyone have any experince with it.

I prefer a scope to a red dot, but I prefer a peep sight to a 1x scope. I've had all three in the last two years.

Grizzly

I bought the bushnell halo sight love it if you leave it on more than 30 minutes it will shut off so you dont run the battery down I do put new batteries in it every year great sight.

I ended up buying the Sightron 1 X 20. Reviews are very positive and price is definitely right. Picked it up from Sportsmans wharehouse that included free shipping. Hope to check it out this weekend. I tried the Eotech which is a great sight but just now for me. I just couldn't get the groups I was looking for.

I had never shot a peep sight until I bought my Whites 50 cal. After FINALLY settling on a load of 120 grains pyro, with 348 gr powerbelt,(sandbagged on bench/100yards range finder verified)just so you know I'm not bagging about my shooting but the peepsights/gun ability to be accurate, I put 2 bullets through the same hole and the third a half inch above the first two. I was amazed and convinced about a peepsight's accuracy.

I would say agree red dots suck if you buy cheap ones i had big problems with them until i got my vorex and i have been able to shoot really well with it im good up to 175 yds making a 4in group. I love mine and would not trade it for anything.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom