Selling Guns

• Thread starter Gun Nut (Guest)
  • Start date
G

Gun Nut (Guest)

I was thinking about selling some guns in a classified ad and wondered if anyone here has ever bought or sold guns through the classified ads. Do you need to run some sort of a background check on the person buying it? If you don't how do you know the guy isn't some kind of psychopath that isn't even supposed to buy a firearm? Does it cost to run a check? If you don't get one and the guy robs a bank and shoots the guard with your old gun are you responsible for getting him the gun?

Thanks!

Here's my suggestion.....talk to some of the different gun stores near where you live. SOme of them might let you sell it in their store on consignment....that way, a background check will get ran, and you dont have to worry about all the problems. Also, I would contact the Bureau of Criminal Idenfication and ask them what steps you would need to take to have a background check ran on someone...if you do decide to sell it in the classifieds. Also you could could contact your local ATF (Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms) office and talk to a someone there about liability and getting transfer of ownership paperwork.....

Gun Nut, what type of guns are you selling? Any deer/elk rifles for sale?

KP

Better yet, why don't you go list it on auctionarms.com? I think they even have some FFLs on there who will help with the transaction. The seller can find his own FFL (or sporting goods store by him), who will send YOU a copy of the FFL liscence, so you know it's on the up and up, then the buyer has to jump over some paperwork hurdles with the FFL to get the gun from him.

I put a gun in a store on consignment once (Model 12) and it didn't sell. I found out why a couple months later when I picked it up and tried to pump it, it was jammed!! Dang store. Plus they wanted something like 20% consignment fee. The heck with that, try Auctionarms. I've bought only 1 firearm thru them and was happy as heck with the whole deal..

P.S. good luck in getting a good price for your rifle(s).

I was interested in this question, but I don't think anybody answered it directly. So what are the legalities of selling used firearms? Sure, everybody suggests selling through someone licensed who can do all the background checks and paperwork. Probably good advise. We hear crazy stories about gun manufacturers getting sued when a gun gets into the wrong hands. I've only sold guns through dealers or to my relatives (even that is a little scary when you think about it.) So am I breaking the law?

Where do you live? IN most states you are not breaking the law.

CA and a few other states, yes you broke it.

I live in Salt Lake City. You'd think a conservative state like Utah would favor gun owners, but I had some serious concerns when our past Mayor, Ms. DeeDee Coridini, put a bounty on firearms and destroyed piles of perfectly good guns on the 10 Oclock news.

It is against the law (at least in Utah) to do a background check on someone unless you are a FFL holder or invloved with law enforcement, in fact you can try but you need credentials not just anyone can call and get private information on someone unless they have the proper credentials.

here in Iowa you don't need to be a lic. firearme dealer or do a back ground check (IF YOUR AN INDIVIDUAL DOING THE TRADING/SELLING.)
But a dealer must do the check if he or she is selling the item,
and i have to go thru a lic. dealer to mail it.
and inturn it must be received by a dealer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom