Sheep Preference Points

FullCurlHunter

Instead of searching numerous state websites, I thought I would outsource to you guys for some quick information as deadlines are approaching.

I am looking to start building preferance points for Sheep in Colorado, Whyoming, Montana, Nevada and and Idaho.

Here are my quesions are as follows for EACH particular state.

1. Can I apply for preferance points only and use them for any unit or do I need to select a unit to build points in for each state?

2. What is the cost to apply for preferance points, do I need to pay the full license cost for a point or am I reimbursed a portion? How much?

3. Am I only allowed one preference point per year or can I apply for more for say rifle and bow or different units..etc?

Any other helpful information would be great!

Thanks!

Each state is different. Don't expect to ever be guaranteed a tag in any state--those days are over. If you are willing to pay significant price, points will eventually work in your favor in some states--but the odds will always be tough.

Of the states that you listed, the only one that allows you to buy point without fronting full application fee is WY. They charge $100 per point, but if you don't already have WY points you can simply FORGET IT--unless they pull pull a fast one on those of us that have been paying for points. They do put a few tags in random draw, but points do not help you for those tags.

Nevada makes you buy a $158 license, plus relatively small app fees to earn points for each of three sheep species. You do not have to front full app fee. Your chances of drawing are weighted by number of points--squared plus one. Everybody has chance to draw, its a pretty good system overall.

Idaho does not have point system, and is probably your best bet if you are new to the game and want a fair chance to draw tag. You will need to buy $128 licence, $7.50 app fee, and front full tag fee. They will refund you tag fee if not drawn. Some possibility that they would start a point system--that would have pros and cons for everybody concerned.

Montana makes you front full tag fee of $750 plus $20 if you want to earn points. They will refund your tag fee minus $3 handling fee. Your chances are drawing are weighted by number of points plus one. This is a workable system even if you are new to game.

Colorado also makes you front full tag fee to apply for sheep sheep points, but they do refund most of it. Your chances of drawing are zero for first three years, and then weighted by number of points plus one after three years. They have some archery hunts that have pretty good odds, if you are willing to pay your dues for three years. This is the only state I do not work for sheep, but it would be worthwhile if you have some money to work with. It is a workable system for everybody concerned.

The odds for new players are brutal in states that already have point systems because you will be fighting point creep until they day you die, but eventually the points will begin to work in your favor. With exception of a few random draw tags, WY has pretty much locked out everybody with less than nine points. On the lighter side, there is great potential to increase sheep distribution and numbers--theoretically speaking at least.

You need to skip the outsourcing and pay a service that will deliver the information in an organized way. Take a look at the Huntin' Fool or Larry Altimus TAGS.
Depending on your age, you may be wasting a lot of time and money. Odds of drawing a sheep tag as a NR are extremely low and you have to loan out a good bit of money at times. You may do better putting in for the various raffles.
With all that being said, I have drawn one bighorn tag. At 41, I hope that the draw gods will give me one more chance.

I have a question along the same lines. If I have zero points for NV - is it too late for me to get into the game? I'm 27 years old...

Maybe Warren is right, just send HF your money and they will get you the magic tag.

Yea, I'm 24 and if I could accomplish one thing in my life, it would be a sheep Grand Slam.

Are you saying to not even bother with Wyoming and trying to earn points for the future as they have locked out anybody with less than 9 points?

Tough odds...

IF A GUY WERE TO START AQUIRING POINTS NOW IN EACH OF THE FORMENTIONED STATES, HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE TO DRAW A SHEEP TAG BASED PURELY ON STATISTICS????

Statistically I think you will have to live to be 300 years old to guarantee drawing a sheep permit. Get into the game in states that offer you a chance at drawing. It will take luck regardless so don't get caught up in the odds or you will get depressed and quit. Set yourself a budget and stick with it. I suggest NV, UT, ID, OR, WA, MT, NM & CO. I think those states will cost you roughly $500-$600 in non-refundable app fees and licenses.

My prediction is that if you work at it for many years you may be able to get your odds up to 5% per year per state by the time you are 55 or 60 years old. I have been working applying for tags and accumulating points in MT (6 years), WY (9 years), NV (4 years), and UT (10 years)--but my odds are never more than 1%. If you can get your odds above 3% in several states you stand a reasonable chance of drawing a tag if you keep at it. Take care of your self and enjoy the ride, thats my advice.

With ages like 24 and 27, there is a good chance you will hunt sheep one day. I would also consider moving to a state that has sheep. The odds may be a bit better. I'll start my ten year old son on points soon and maybe he can draw a tag in the future, also.
I would also reccomend getting a bit of experience with other animals in the meantime. A shot on a bighorn defines pressure. It is hard block out the fact that this is the biggest shot of your life. I'll never forget my California Bighorn (Idaho) falling out of my scope. No Super Bowl winner has ever been more excited. Good luck!

I drew a MT bighorn tag my 4th year to apply. I apply in every state. I guarantee you will not draw if you dont apply.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom