Sheep Wall Pedestal Mount

Cozmo8

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-07 AT 09:51PM (MST)[p]Would anyone that knows taxidermy well be stone cold honest about this mount. I want to know what you think.

DallPed2.jpg

DallPed1.jpg

DallPed3.jpg

im no expert but ive seen a lot of mounts and that one looks fantastic! beautiful ram. lets see a better pic of the harli behind him :)

It sounds to me that you don't like this mount. I think it's very well done. Beautiful mount. Be happy with it.

Very nice ram!
I'm not a fan of the mouth position. Doesn't look natural to me.
I do like the form you chose and will be getting back a Stone's sheep soon with the same form (no rock on the mount). I'll post pics when I get mine back so you can compare.

Just curious if that's a fannin or is his cape stained dark? Maybe just the lighting in the pic??

SSS

First off let me say wow...that is a nice ram. Mass like that on a dall is not very common these days. I'll go out on a limb and say that ain't no Brooks Range dall.

Dalls are just one of those animals that look so cool in the wild and then months later you get the mount back and you go hhmmmm? Not talking about your mount here, but generally the eyes look bulbous, the ears seem to be in a funny place and the nostrils are just ...well..strange lookin.

From what I can tell by your photos you have a great dall mount. That staining on the shoulders is common depending on the soil the animals bedded in. A taxidermist can paint or bleach it away to some extent but that wouldn't be in the long term best interest of the mount. The body lines from the shoulder blades and brisket into the lower neck look really good. The attitude of the horns looks natural the eyes and ears are on the spot. Can't really say anything about the nose or slightly open mouth without seeing it in person. From your photos he looks super.

If you are having doubts about the appearance of the mount take it outside and take several photos. In a room where you cannot see the mount compare photos of the mount with field photos of your ram. Hope you are happy with the outcome.

Is the mouth open? Never have seen a sheep mount with the mouth open. Everything else looks first rate. Hell of a ram, too!

Thank you all for your candid comments. He is an Alaska Range ram. His coat is stained and that intitially bothered me that it was not pure white. I went back and looked at the field pictures and sure enough this is the color of his cape when he died. The taxidermist told me he did not want to bleach it. I now love that aspect of it. What do you guys think of the horizontal white line on his lower lip. It looks unnatural to me and I have checked a lot of dall sheep photos and everything in that area is black. That is kind of what I was fishing for. The Rocky Mountain Bighorn mount these guys did for me has no lower lip showing so I am not sure what to think. So if any of you have comments I would appreciate.

The comment about getting a sheep back and being unsure of the nostril, eyes etc. is so true. I mainly grew up hunting deer and elk so it is easy to pick out something that does not seem right on those species but animals that I have not put my hands on a lot are tough to critique. Again thank you all and I am fortunate to harvest such a great ram on probably my only dall sheep hunt.

Congrats on a beautiful Dall Sheep. Its kinda tough to really scrutinize from an internet pic, but from what I see the job looks very good. Ususally the eyes are a problem area for some taxidermists...they do actually have a direction to install them depending on how the mount is done and the direction it is supposed to look. I don't see any bulbus area in the eyes, and they appear to be symetrical and looking oin the proper direction. The ear, neck, hide, etc. all look very, very good. But, like you said, the mouth seems odd. I don't see alot of sheep mounts, but from the from pics, the mouth appears to open slightly. From the 1st side pic, it really stands out ot me, but it is a natural pose. Personally, I wouldn't call it anything that I would be upset about, its just a feature of your particular ram, just like the slight coloration of the hide. I can only say that because i don't know what it looked like specifically in the field. As was stated earlier, compare to your pics and see if its a mistake on the taxidermists end, or if its acurate.
Either way, great mount, great ram!

PR

If I used my microscope I'm sure I could find more flaws but you can't do that. You'll go nuts in no time. Sit back on your recliner, sip your wine, and enjoy that beautiful ram and the great memories of your hunt. Its a gorgeous ram on a primo mount. Very well done and congrats. Any one of your visitors who would comment on that is a loser.

Thanks mistertwister. I kind of felt the same way. As I look at the mounts I have had done it is not the animal as much as it is the memories. I have found that I have become hyper-critical of the animals that I have had mounted. I probably need to mellow out. I think that it is human nature to think they will all come out perfectly, whatever that "perfect" is?

Dang C-8 that is one great looking mount!

The Ram aint to shabby either!

Ya done real good and should be very happy and content!

Robb

Could someone post the form maker or model of this form?

I am having a mount done and REALLY like this one.

Archer

Still looking for in information about what form was used on this mount.

Any help appreciated,

Archer

Cosmo:

That is about as beautiful as a dall ram gets. In 2 months, I will be on my first sheep hunt. If I saw a ram like that, I would slap myself thinking I was dreaming. I remember reading your story and looking at the pics. Good times indeed!

>Still looking for in information about
>what form was used on
>this mount.
>
>Any help appreciated,
>
>Archer

Not sure which form was used for this ram but my Taxi is using a "Lancaster" wall pedistal form. He's pretty happy with those.

SSS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom