Shooters

Thunderclapper

I shot this group at 300 yds the other day. I was all by myself so I would take a shot then walk to the target and mark it.
5021img_0207.jpg

I got greedy and thought I'd shoot a five shot group. Here's shot #4.
7710img_0208.jpg

And #5.
2743img_0209.jpg

Curious, I added a sixth shot.
3667img_0210.jpg

What happened? I thought I had been allowing enough time for my barrel to cool. Temps were in the low 40's and my barrel always seemed cold. Ever seen this before?

Everything tight? I would check my bases and rings first then maybe the load? Factory or hand loads? Give us a little more info Thunder.

It's always an adventure!!!

I too would check and make sure everything is tight. Not sure if you started with a clean barrel, but it looks as though maybe you got to a point where is started getting too dirty.

I havent checked the bases because the gun has shot pretty consistant (I usually only shoot 3 shot groups) over the years. After every time at the range it's cleaned. After it's cleaned I usually put one fouling shot before I try a three shot group. On this day the gun only had 7 shots fired through it since its last cleaning.

I'm shooting 180 gr Accubonds, Federal 215 magnum primers with Winchester brass and 70 grns of IMR 4350.

With the gun shooting well after each cleaning I thought maybe this would be caused by copper fouling or barrel whip. Would those things be potential causes after only a few shots?

Barrel is a #3 contour Hart.

Your barrel may have gotten warmer then you think it did and because of the expansion it is making contact somewhere on the stock. I would check the left side of the stock since the later rounds were kicked off to the right. You should allow 15 minutes between shots for the barrel to fully cool down.

RELH

I would tend to agree with 1911 in that we're talking about a 300 yard target, not one at 100. Those shots are not that far from the first three at that distance and I wouldn't be that concerned as I would if it was only at 100 yards.

I thought the same thing as 1911 and TOPGUN at first and just didn't want to say it. Those six shots at 300 yds are very close to being MOA. A MOA hunting gun is a good thing!

I hoped the first three shots would help rule out shooter error but you guys are probably right. I keep thinking with the semi circular pattern of the last three shot the problem would be more along the lines of what RELH described.

Does an individual tend to be consistant when they flinch? Or do they pull shots in every direction?

>And since when is 1911 worried
>about "fluffing" feathers?!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

Well it's kinda like this here!

I've been known to JERK the throttle on needed occaisions!:D

Sometimes I can't JERK it Quick enough!:D

It's been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
But this is still the place
That we all call home

Many things could cause your group to open like that. Did you chrony the shots? Inconsistent cheek weld or grip of rifle. Was there any wind?

Thunderclapper, the reason I did not suspect shooter error was because on your first three shots you did everything right and put all three into a tight group for that yardage. Unless you developed a flinch all of a sudden, I find it hard to think you did something wrong on shots 4-6.
I suspect, but not always true, a problem with the rifle based on experience that if you have a bedding problem, it will start to show up at round #4 or #5 due to barrel heat.

Bottom line is if your rifle will shoot the first three shots like that everytime, you are good to go. I have seen very few game animals that will stand around for you to shoot 4 or more shots at them.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom