Shot by a 45-70 round

kilowatt

Since we don't have a Safety Forum here on MM guess the next best thing would be under General Hunting since a lot of us read this first...or should.
Here is the text that came with the picture, all I can say is this young guy was very lucky.

Shot with a 45-70

> This guy and a buddy were sighting their rifles in. One of the guns was
> leaned up against the 4 wheeler he was standing on. The gun started to
> fall and I'm not sure if his buddy grabbed it, or something on the bike
> caught the trigger. Either way, he caught a 325 grain .45-70 round right
> under the collar bone. I think it goes without being said, how lucky he
> is to still be here.
>
> The big hole around his shoulder blade is where the bullet entered and
> it traveled under his skin and exited right there on his neck, above his
> spinal cord!
The ballistic tip mainly just burned the edges of the skin of the wound that you see in
> the picture.. He's getting better & better every day, last night he was
> even doing pushups!! He's finally able to use his arm again! Somehow it
> didn't hit anything major and basically ended up being a really bad
> flesh wound! It is truly a miracle that he is alive and not paralyzed!

958245-70shot.jpg

Brian

244s9dx.jpg

Ever since I've had kids I've been much more paranoid, worried, or aware (not sure of the right word to explain but I'm sure you get my drift) of some kind of accident like that happening to one of them.

Sometimes I even visualize scenarios happening. So am I a total freak for thinking that or do any of you ever experience what I'm talking about?

deadibob, I do the same damn thing. I take every precaution and then some now. Those flashes of something bad happening to one of my little ones just kill me. I wouldn't be able to handle it if something happened to one of them.

"Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints"

THATS ONE REASON I DONT CARE IF MY KIDS HUNT OR NOT, (THEY DONT). I DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE ACCIDENTS/WORRYING........DONT KNOW IF I COULD HANDLE THEM ANYWAY......NASTY STUFF......YD.

>Good Gawd,
>You sure that wasn't a stray
>338 Lapua slug?
>LMAO!

HEHEHE
------------------------------------------------------
"Yeah, I'll shoot him"

I'd have to say that bullet did a great job. Good penetration, obvious expansion, and it left a nice exit wound for easy tracking and recovery of the animal!

I might be spending too must time in these pages... Ya think? :)

Joey

NO SAGE.....I WOULD SAY ITS JUST ANOTHER CASE OF BAD JUDGMENT ON YOUR PART. IF THAT WAS MY SON I WOULD BE THANKFUL HE WAS ALIVE.....YD.

Dall, Hey do i feel for the kid and few if any are more careful around firearms than i am and make everybody near me be. I also Worked many years of my life in the emergency room at hospitals and as a firefighter EMT. Sometimes the guys need to lighten up...and we do by making jokes even in the saddest of situations otherwise we can't go on to the next job with a open mind!

You may not understand my way of coping with humor, fine. There are those that will and, IMO, you've always been one of the biggest a-holes in these pages anyway so i really don't care what you think about me!!

Joey

Just to change the direction this might be going, and keeping in mind that this is NOT someone's trophy, I am skeptical that this picture is real anyway. Either that, or we ain't getting the real story.

I have seen bullet wounds in human flesh and that entry wound just don't look right. You might get that at point blank range with no shirt on but........

That said, real or not, there is no such thing as "overly" safe when it comes to firearm safety.

PAID FIREFIGHTER/EMT FOR 30 YEARS HERE JOEY, IMO YOU COME OFF LIKE A BIG DBO THAT HAS NO CLUE.....AND YOU RUN YOUR MOUTH TOO MUCH. TOO BAD YOUR FROM MY HOME STATE...........YD.

Exactly my point Dall, you're a first class a-hole! You've took your shots at me before, you continue to do so whenever you get a chance. That why i don't take any lip from you when you spout off about me as you did above.

Like i said, i don't care one bit what YOU think of me! :)

Joey

Yukondall;

Are you telling us that as a firefighter/EMT for all those years, you have not stood over a crispy critter and not cracked a joke. I find that hard to believe. Cops and firefighters, medical personnel are noted for their sadistic humor in order to keep their sanity over all the human suffering they have to witness on a daily basis.

RELH

I think there was a pretty famous TV show that was based on humor keeping the doctors from going nuts. I think it lasted a little while and it was called MASH. The humor kept them from going crazy, at least until the end for Hawkeye!

Hes damn lucky to be alive. I shoot a 45/70 and have taken two cow elk with it and neither one of them took one step after I pulled the trigger. Thats one gun that can do some serious damage.

Seems to me that there should be a bluish streak of 'bloodshot meat' between the holes. A bullet that wide ought to leave a trail. It just doesn't look quite right.

Looks like they had it wrapped pretty dang tight. That might be a reason why yo cant see a streak? or its swollen? who knows but this feller is lucky! You guys dont think this is acctually photoshop do you? or you think something else happened?

I too was a Firefighter/emt-I from Oregon for 20 years. I saw my share of gun shot wounds, not pretty and all preventable, I don't see this forum as a place to bash each other espically over a safety issue like this. The fact is that gun safety is number one. As a former Hunters ed instructor each one of us should know( if you were taught like I was) is you are always aware of your muzzle and treat each gun like it is loaded.
Sad, but glad too see that the young man is live. I know many that didn't make it.

Very bad wound and hopefully he will recover. I also have a hard time believing the story. I have seen many bullet wounds from .22 cal to 12 slugs and I do not think the shoulder wound is an entry.

I for one hope that this was photoshopped or something other than a firearm accident. I think the thought of this sends a chill up everyones spine. So let's hope none of us ever has a hunt ruined by the likes of this. Accidents can and do happen. It would be hard to live knowing your own personal carelessness caused something like this or worse that could have been prevented.

I think if I caused an accident like this to someone I love (or anyone for that matter) would be the only way I could willingly give up guns.

I agree with Beanman there should be a blur streak going from hole to hole, you're talking a pretty big wound canal and not from the top of the skin.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

In my opinion, if the exit wound is anywhere near the size of the entry wound, not clear from the pic, which it should be, the bullet would have hit and destroyed his spine. Your spine is not too far from the surface of your skin on the back of your neck. There is no way the bullet did not touch his spine. I'm calling fake.

I have seen numerous bullet wounds on humans and animals. I have also seen many of them caused by a 45/70 since I do most of my hunting with that caliber.
I do not think it is fake or photo shop. The article stated it was a 325 grain bullet. that should be the Hornady bullet with the plastic tip and I have seen similar wounds on hogs that look like that one when they were hit in the neck.
If you look closer, the bullet exited out of the neck above the area where the spine is very close to the skin. He was very lucky as that bullet came within fractions of an inch of nicking or hitting the spine.
I have seen a person that was hit one inch below the left nipple with a 45 ACP HP. The bullet traversed his body between the rib cage and skin and exited below his armpit. Both entry and exit were about the same size and just a little smaller then the injury in the photo above. There was no blue streak in that wound either.

RELH

That is a real bad wound, the boy is lucky to still be alive and not dead. REMEMBER- SAFETY FIRST-ALWAYS.
Also I would think that the doctors would close up the wound to avoid infections or operate and open it up, theres got to be some damage there inside, or bullet fragments? but I'm not a doc.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom