Should drawn tags be transferable?

fishon

Very Active Member
Just curious how you guys feel about a permit you draw in a drawing being able to be sold or given away since it is yours?

Arizona lets a parent or guardian give theirs to a child or a sick or disabled child.

If you buy a voucher you can resale it or transfer it, why is a drawn tag not the same? And should you be able to do with it what you want?

Tony Abbott
www.myfreehunts.com
The next buck to have a fawn will be the
1st.

no

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-11 AT 09:13AM (MST)[p]Should party hunting be legal? This is not real smart if u do decide on this. Im so happy I dont live are hunt in Utah!

Tony,
I think this would encourage EVERYONE to make application and then just sell the tags.

Think about it.... It would be a huge stinky can of worms!

Oh, the horrible odds would even get worse!

I hope this is just a passing thought. Please, let it pass.

Zeke

Sounds like a great way to turn it into a lottery. Basically turning a tag into money would be about the dumbest thing I''ve seen. If you thought the odds were bad now just wait, people who have absolutley nothing to do with hunting will be putting in for every tag just so they can sell it. Transfer to your own children under the age of 18 or to a disabled kid or veteran would be ok as long as it was'nt done for money....maybe a tax deduction or something.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

No. It's a piece of paper allowing you the privilege of taking a state-owned animal, not the animal itself, and I think it would open up a whole huge can of worms. I suppose you could also make it illegal to sell it for more than the actual fee, but we all know that would not happen, and how would you regulate that?

It would be akin to the commercialization of wildlife all over again, in my book.

Pred

I don't have a problem with it if it's similar to Arizona.

NO way if the tags could be sold or traded for gain/profit.

"Yup.....
I'll pay you "face value" above board and 10K under the table!"

Pred, you hit the nail on the head!

Zeke

What if it was just regulated to be Transferable to immediate family with that being defined (example would be Wife/husband, kids, father/mother)? This would not allow the money piece to get into play as much.

Just a thought for discussion not bashing as I am just posting options.

BearCat

>What if it was just regulated
>to be Transferable to immediate
>family with that being defined
>(example would be Wife/husband, kids,
>father/mother)? This would not
>allow the money piece to
>get into play as much.

Perfect, I'll start having all my non-hunting relatives put in for the same hunts I do. Same problem you guys had with the $5 entry fees.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

This is exactly what wouyld happen. I would then feel the need to "cheat" and apply for all my non-hunting relatives too.

The more I think about it (and if anyone used a brain cell) this is a terrible idea. And... it should stay as a terrible idea!

What about making bonus points trasferable while we're at it? I have a friend who champions this idea but it's still dumb as well!

Zeke

The absolute only way I would be for it is if you draw a tag and have a medical emergency that prevents you from hunting. Then and only then you could transfer it to immediate family only. That means a son, a dad, daughter or wife. If that is not the design then abosutely not. Too much room for people to manipulate the system.

It's always an adventure!!!

As far as I know, With AZ you can only transfer a tag if it's a father or mother draws the tag and gives it to one of their children.
I can see both sides of this.

I have about 10 or 11 points for elk in AZ.

A father may have a lot of points, have shot some good bulls, May not have very good health or may just want one of his kids to get a thrill and have a chance to shoot a big bull, that dad has already had. Hunting is expensive. His 12 year old boy may not have many chances to hunt a big bull in the future, especially with his dad.

The flip side. More people putting in for tags, thinking if I don't want the tag, I will give it to one of my kids.

I would be OK for a Father or Mother to transfer a tag to their own child. Grandma who never hunts selling a tag, or giving a tag to anyone would be more of a problem.

Hell yeh!

Draw 'em and then sell 'em to the highest bidder!

That fellow from Minn that had the N.Mex Ram tag sold his for like $55,000.00.

Hell yeh make 'em transferable to anyone with the correct size wallet!

Robb

The only way I would be in favor of a transfer of a "controlled hunt tag" would be to immediate family "ONLY due to medical emergency" with a doctors signed certification that the hunter could not partisipate in the hunt.

I had this exact problem in Idaho back in 2000. Heart attack and by-passes. Got the doctors note, had to send back the tag and was reimbursed the tag fee but had to eat the non-resident license fee because they said maybe I could hunt later in the same year for some other type game.

Other than for doctor excused illness and to immediate family I would say "NO"

In the Regs one can not barter or sell fish or game meat. I don't think the States would ever allow a proposal like this to become law selling or bartering tags. That would mean a guy with big bucks could have twenty plus ++ guys put in for him to try and draw a specific tag. Then if the zone tag is drawn they could just sell the rest of the unwanted tags on the open market. It would become an enforcement nightmare, plus unless the States could find away to make some type of big extra profit... it would never happen....

)))).....>

NO.....unless I can change it to a Late Season Reservation Deer Hunt with no strings attached.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

The only reason I can think of is a medical emergency that came about AFTER you obtained a tag - with a doctor's certifation.

But, in NV, we already have that in that you can return the tag to the state and it goes to the next alternate.

I would like to see a clause that allows a person under the age of 18 to harvest an animal on your tag, provided you are there with the child.

Alaska has this rule, and I could see it being a good thing.

Maybe dad draws a sheep tag, and his son is terminally ill, lets his son shoot the sheep with him there. Something like that.

If I read the rule correctly you can only transfer an AZ tag to a "minor child", so your kid has to be under 18 yrs old. Also, I have a buddy in OR and he was telling me something about an adult being able to let a minor shoot their animal for them. I personally don't mind the idea of being able to give a permit to a minor child, but anything other than that I would be strongly opposed to.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

I don't think selling them is ok, but I would support being able to give your tag to one of your kids.

Arizona also allows a Grandparent to give it to a grandchild. And They allow the donation to special handicapped situations.

Tony Abbott
www.myfreehunts.com
1st.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-11 AT 06:00PM (MST)[p]I don't have a problem with the AZ rules. However, under no circumstances would I support being able to sell the tag or give it to just anyone.

I don't really have a problem with the transfer of a tag to a "youth," family member- someone under 18. I think Arizona has a pretty good program.

I don't have kids, but I've looked at the draw odd numbers like many of you.

There really aren't many le tags that will be drawn by individuals (kids) in their lifetime if they're just starting to apply now. They'll never catch up to point creep.

I think it is a great Idea to be able to transfer a GENERAL DEER tag to a minor. Lets get as many kids hunting as we can. It is a shame when youngsters cant draw a tag, and lose interest before they even get started. Having said that, NO WAY should any LIMITED ENTRY tags be transferrable.

------------------------------------------------------
"So... Now you got a little taste of what I do...pretty dang exciting, eh?"

I think it would be great idea. Use the SAME RULES that apply to the conservation groups. Why should they be the only ones to PROFIT off of the STATE OWNED WILDLIFE??? Sell them to the highest bidder donate some money back to wildlife and we all win.

I am against being able to transfer tags from person to person. I would be able to get my points built up through my wife who is not a hunter and then when I get the tag I want I would be able to have her hand it over to me knowing she would never hunt it. I don't think that is fair.

No Way. This is going down the road of hunter more important than the resource. I don't feel that it is right to transfer the tag regardless of situation. What about the fairness to all others in the pot, especially if we are talking point holders. If a medical arrises, refund 100% of money and let them keep current points moving forward.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-11 AT 06:36AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-11 AT 06:34?AM (MST)

So is this the way the Con Orgs and the DWR are going to address the fact that most of our youth will never-ever be able to hunt an LE or OIL species???

Put the responsibility on the Parent or Grandparent? that finally draws a tag with 17 or 18 points invested and now it is the Parent or Grandparent responsibility/decision to let the youth hunt or not to ever hunt? by transfering or not transfering the tag to the youth?

Robb

Good thing AZ has this rule. I'll be 90 and cant hunt when I finally draw a tag so now I can give it to my grandkids, or great grand kids.

Just say NO to transferring tags!

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

The transfer of a tag to a minor child sounds good, but if that was the case I would start having my wife apply for a tag (she doesn't hunt) so if she gets drawn she could give it to our son. I guess I could start getting my wife's grandparents to start applying (they don't hunt) and my mom could start applying (she's 82 and doesn't hunt anymore). That would give my son 4 times the ability to draw a tag than he would otherwise. Good for my son, bad for the system.

How about we just pass down the points we have to our children because we got too Fricken Old. I like this idea better.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Tony:
I'm the one who got that legislation passed in AZ for children with life threatening illnesses.... The provision for handicapped kids and grandchildren piggy backed on it a couple of years later.... Do you have an issue with kids, who may not live to ever get a chance to draw what is truly a Hunt of a Lifetime, getting a tag transferred to them?..... Terry

If it is done like proxy tags in Alaska, then I would have no problem. Proxy tags in Alaska allow someone to hunt for someone who physically can not harvest an animal and the proceeds of the harvest goes to the tag holder, not the person that made the kill. So if the person has a signed letter from a MD, and all the laws of harvesting game are followed then I would not have a single issue with it.
WVBOWAK

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-11 AT 07:16PM (MST)[p]AZstickman

I have NO issue with what you have done for the handicapped or the sick. To me it is a great program and I am trying to lay the groundwork for something similar in Utah.

I wanted people to voice an opinion and I think most would support something for sick kids. But you never know unless you put it out there.

I would love to hear about your process and success story with it.

Thanks for chiming in.

Tony Abbott
www.myfreehunts.com
1st.

>There really aren't many le tags
>that will be drawn by
>individuals (kids) in their lifetime
>if they're just starting to
>apply now. They'll never catch
>up to point creep.

+ 100

I'm fine with transfering a tag to one's son or daughter.
The system is broken for our kids.

Sounds good Tony, but I think it is important to note the tag transfer program in AZ only allows the tags to be transferred to the kids, as noted. They may not be sold and they cannot be transferred more than one time...... I will send you a PM with my contact info and would be happy to talk to you further..... Terry

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom