Sighting in a scope

LouieT

Just curious when you sight in your rifle do you put the scope on high or low magnification? I like to sight in on the higher magnification so I can have the same aiming point, easier to see target. Does magnification affect point of aim?

Thanks,

Louie

I usually sight in at high power, 9 in most cases. Some scopes will change POI, shoot yours and see. Its the only way to tell for sure.

A good quality scope should not change your point of impact. I believe Parallax could come into play at higher magnifications. That being said, I like to shoot at higher magnifications. I think you can be more precise.

Sight in at the hightest power as errors at lower power will be maagnified when power is turned up. I've heard some say that all scopes POI will change when the power is changed. I'm not sure I buy this, or if its true then the difference is negligible. But, I've had two scopes that changed POI significantly when power was changed. Neither was a Leupold.

One of the nice things about sighting in on a high or the highest power is you can see any gun movement if you're not in a solid rest. Sighting in is no time to have any shaking or possible movement. If them cross hairs are shaking even the slightest, get a better rest.

Modern scopes have just about eliminated any change in POI as you navigate thru the power levels. A shot or two on 4x might settle any doubts you may have.

Joey

The problem with shooting on a high power is not error with the scope as much as error with the shooter. Natural movement has a magnified perception in proportion to the amount of magnification used. The natural consequence for most shooters is an over compensation which makes the shooter less consistant. Unless you are using a vise to completely eliminate movement from breathing ect., I would not use a magnification over 4X to sight a rifle. If you cannot get it done at sight in ranges with 4X you have bigger problems that heavy magnification is not going to fix. Also, as a general rule, anything over 4-6X max in the field causes the average shooter more problems than not.

497ef7695e02bf46.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-09 AT 10:56PM (MST)[p]And vice versa, if you cant sight it in on 14x you have bigger problems that cant be solved by going to 4x

as to poi change, it depends wether your recticle is in the 1st or 2nd plane, doesnt matter much unless you are using mill dot or a B&C type crosshair, your owners manuel should tell you what you have, most leupold B&C and swaro's tds will change poi with power settings, so sight in at highest magnification, if you are useing the drop system, it will be a long shot anyway, and you'll likely have the scope turned up.

Reddog said it. First or second focal plane. Most American scopes are in the second plane, the reticle remains constant regardless of image size. First plane reticles are constant WITH image size, normally European scopes. sage said it, most modern variables don't change POI enough to be noticeable at normal ranges. I sight in and check zero with my scope on the highest power simply because I can see the target and bullet impacts better. Especially if I forget my spotting scope. mtmuley

+1 mtmuley & reddog.

If you can't sight your rifle in with your scope at a high magnification you sure don't have any business hunting with it...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom