SITKA 45 BIVY PACK

B

bgmhiker

WOW Just received mine today and I hope Badlands,Horn Hunter and others are paying attention. Note: I havn't used this pack yet but just from the look of it, it will be the pack to have.Waterproof shell, 4500 ci @ under six pounds, meat shelf,
detachable hood, actually has usable pockets on the belt (unlike all badlands), sleeping bag compartment, and many other cool features. All in all this seems to be just what I asked for, a regular backpacking design than is capable of HUNTING and hauling meat. All you guys that have a daypack and then an extended trip pack(like me previosly) should seriosly take a look. This is the first piece of Sitka gear that I own and I'm pretty impressed they really put alot of thought into this one.I'm curious to see how durable it will be, the fabric is much different than say badlands,eberstock,horn hunter and others therefor the lighter weight. I will be using this starting Thursday for archery elk in Wyoming, I will post how it does, and hopefully how it handles a load of elk.We will be 5 + miles back in. Also interestingly I really wasn't planning on buying this pack for $350.00, I had my eye one the hard core hunting pack by Jansenns which just happened to be out of stock so I ended up with this. I am really pleasantly surprised I have never really liked the Sitka clothing line but I really think they have a winner here. Also I will be trying some of the new under armour outerwear and will report on it as well. It is calling for snow possibly tonight and tommorrow above 8000 ft so it seems fall has arrived in the cowboy state. Good Luck everyone!!

Bgmhiker

I just recently got one and love it too! Very well designed. I much prefer it over my previous Badlands 4500.

Mrkrabs, the packs could easily pass as a larger daypack as it compress down nicely.

It's lighter to begin with. The waist belt is more comfortable. The back stays cooler with the ventilation system. I like the pockets better and it's waterproof. Also, after I dump my camp gear I can still wear it compressed down as a daypack. It's more sleek than the Badlands.

Don't get me wrong the Badlands is a great pack too, I just think the Sitka has some advantages.

I've been really curious about this pack as well but haven't had a chance to get my hands on one yet. I've got a couple questions about the material. First of all, is it quiet? And second, what is everyone's impression about the durability?

Hi guys new to this site thought I would give a little report on this pack that I've had for a little over 3 weeks now. First let me explain that I'm a little overweight alright a lot over weight. Initial impression I have been hiking up and down hills about 3 miles every night carrying between 30 and 40 pounds sweating my ass off by the way this pack is awesome, weighs about the same as my Badlands 2200 except you can carry twice as much gear. Take the top pack off and it compress's down to the size of the 2200. First thing I noticed was how your back does not sweat hardly at all compared to the 2200 great venilation and comfort with this suspension system, I'm usually soaked within about 10 minutes with the badlands but not with the Bivy pack. Seemed to carry the weight much better also. There is also an orange meat shelf that folds out and a rifle holder, the rifle carrier is pretty slick it holds your rifle really tight and you know how when you attach your rifle to a pack it always seems to unbalance your pack and you can really notice its there but with this system you can tell there's extra weight but it does not feel unbalanced at all. The pack material I believe will be completly water proof it seems to be made out of the same material as the nimbus rain gear. First impressions I really like it time will tell. Should be a great back for you sheep,goat,mule deer, elk and caribou hunters. I will try an attach some pictures showing the compressed mode with rifles attached and the meat shelf shown. By the way I have lost 14 pounds.

DSCF0049.jpg

DSCF0047.jpg

DSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

Oldlogger

DEERSLAM

View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts Aug 28 2008, 04:25 PM

The material is a different from the usual hunting pack material. First of it is waterproof material, so its not completely silent but by no means is it loud. The belt is much better than any hunting pack I have tried. I have no hips so it has always been hard to get a hunting pack belt to tighten up enough to rest the load on my hips,not a problem at all with this pack. For the same price as the badlands 4500 you get this pack for less weight and the ability to compress down to a daypack. It really is looking like a no brainer to me at this point. Hopefully the durabilty question will be answered satifactory this week.

Bgmhiker

Does Cabelas, and or Sportsmans carry them in their retail stores, I'd like to take an up close personal look at one before I drop $350. Looks like the pack I have been wanting for a while.

-Hghcountry

thanks for the great pic. Do you happen to have any pics with the pack on or maybe some of the inside of the pack? thanks

Does anybody know if this pack would compare to a 2000 ci jim horn western pack cinched down all the way? Any size comparisons would be helpful
thanks
bowhunter3,
Go big or go home

Not quite, I'd say cinched down it's pretty close to a Badlands 2800 in size. Definitely manageable though.

I just got my Sitka pack and it was the worst pack purchase I have yet to make. After reading this review I picked it up and was shocked at the lack of quality. I love the look of the pack but this pack was not to the level of quality or technical know how that I would expect from Sitka. I took it out for a quick trial run with minimal gear and the seams in the side of the pack are already ripping through the fabric. Also where the shoulder strap connects to the pack the fabric is ripping out. I would hate to see what would happen if I actually had to depend on this pack pulling out a kill. I am also shocked that no one has mentioned how loud this pack is. So in short Sitka should stick to what they know best or at least do some research before putting crap out on the market.

Used mine now for about 30 days of hunting hauled out 2 deer and an elk and no tears or problems. Sounds like someone works for a competitor to me. This pack is not loud either, its not the quietest pack but thats what you get for a waterproof shell. Still hands down the most compfortable pack I have used.

Bgmhiker, I just ran an IP check and you have been pretending to be a number of different people on this web site, like for example you are the same person as Oldlogger. I do not have the time to check all of the IP address but I imagine that you are also a few other people on this site. I do not know if you work for Sitka and I am not going to make that accusation because I do not know you or your intentions, but I am sure they are quite untrust worthy. You have used underhanded measures to make this pack look great and I trusted you and bought one. You have however, taught me a great lesson and that is always take a review at face value.

After reading through my posts I have come to the realization that I have been very harsh on Sitka where most of my frustration was actually for Bgmhiker. I do not believe posts should be arguments between people who know nothing of each other but should be constructive reviews about the products themselves. When I wrote my first post I already knew that Bgmhiker was using multiple accounts and it frustrated me that he talked me into buying a pack that I may or may not have bought without his post. Again, I apologize to everyone who has had to read my angry words; it was not the best way to introduce myself.

The Un-Angry Review
I want to give a more objective and clear view of the Sitka 45 Bivy. I hope that this will be a better explanation than this product is crap (which really does not a help anyone). First for the likes.

1. The Sitka 45 looks pretty good which helped solidify the desire of must buy now.

2. The little details like the cuts in the gray material, the yellow straps, and the plethora of loops and attachment points.

3. The side pockets, they are a good size to fit your random odds and ends.

4. The meat shelf is a nice addition but I am concerned with how narrow it was and the side clips to hold it in place are a pain.

My Dislikes

1. The fabric is my number one dislike. The fabric is already ripping out and is extremely loud for spot and stalk hunting. I think Sitka is going to have some major warranty issues.

2. The pockets were very useful, but they stick out too far and would catch my arms when I walked.

3. The pack fits odd. The top does not come up high enough to pull the weight off my shoulders but is too long at the bottom and rubs against by bum.

4. The pack does not carry weight well; all of the weight is on your shoulders. You can really tell when you can unbuckle the waist belt and you feel no difference when carrying the pack.

5. The pack claims to be so versatile with the compression system but they are just remarketing what any good pack already does. Pulling off the lid of a pack and tightening the straps does not make a new pack.

6. I like all the connection points but I am concerned my bow string may catch on some of the stuff on the shoulder straps.

I hope that this review will be of more use to those who are considering the purchase of this pack.

>
>My Dislikes
>
>1. The fabric is my number
>one dislike. The fabric is
>already ripping out and is
>extremely loud for spot and
>stalk hunting. I think Sitka
>is going to have some
>major warranty issues.
>
>2. The pockets were very useful,
>but they stick out too
>far and would catch my
>arms when I walked.
>
>3. The pack fits odd. The
>top does not come up
>high enough to pull the
>weight off my shoulders but
>is too long at the
>bottom and rubs against by
>bum.
>
>4. The pack does not carry
>weight well; all of the
>weight is on your shoulders.
>You can really tell when
>you can unbuckle the waist
>belt and you feel no
>difference when carrying the pack.
>
>
>5. The pack claims to be
>so versatile with the compression
>system but they are just
>remarketing what any good pack
>already does. Pulling off the
>lid of a pack and
>tightening the straps does not
>make a new pack.
>
>6. I like all the connection
>points but I am concerned
>my bow string may catch
>on some of the stuff
>on the shoulder straps.
>
>I hope that this review will
>be of more use to
>those who are considering the
>purchase of this pack.

Hey man,

You mind grabbing a digital camera and posting some pics of where the fabric is tearing out? I have the same pack and I'd like to see what is going on with your pack. I ordered my pack direct from sitka and they promised to give me my money back if I could break it, and I'm hard on stuff. I haven't packed out a deer in it yet, but have packed it full of ducks/geese. I'll be mountain hunting with it for the month of november for Sitka Blacktails and we'll see how it holds up to weight. Everything is still holding together so far. I really like the fabric as it doesn't absorb water and get heavy. I've been waterfowl hunting in extreme rain and winds in SE Alaska. I've taken it through clear cuts, timber, tide flats, and waded through chest belly deep water. It's nice and quiet if you do your part. I take the top off and it's a handy day pack. Just enough pockets to keep you from diving through the bag to find something. I have no clue how you could catch your arms on them, but I suppose you could if you tried hard enough.

Calvin, I would love to post some picts. I will take some tonight and post them tomorrow.

I gave my pack a 10 minute inspection and everything is still intact. The stitching does look a little weak, I must admit. It's blowing 70mph right now and I'll be out on the flats tomorrow chasing ducks. I'll try to break it.

48ff4c342c6d220c.jpg

I thought that the strap was ripping out but its actually where the mesh panel meets with the bag that is ripping. This was with only minimal gear on a short trial run.

48ff4db93a39e4b6.jpg

I can't get a picture good enough to show how the threads have pulled through the fabric so I am adding this second picture where I put a pencil tip into the hole (and I did not force the pencil in).

48ff4e163d5aabc2.jpg

I am sure these would hold for a standard hunting trip and even a deer or two but I was not carrying a lot and the rips looks to be about 1-2mm long. This is also only on one side of the pack.

Calvin good luck on your duck hunt. I live about two blocks from a lake and my neighbor is always bringing some home while I am leaving for work. I don't know what he does for a job but it makes me envious.

sorry lambo I'm not sure what all that computer lingo means but I have one account on here. Good try though!! I believe it is you who is the imposter. You can review my posts I do not work for Sitka and said plainly above that I do not like the clothing line at all and would not reccomend it. I aM A GEAR nut and thats what I post about. It is pretty low to throw out pretty stupid accusatory accusations to me, it seems you where a little touchy with my comment. This is a very good pack and if you knew anything at all you would understand that. I have used many packs on many hunts and this is MY FAVORITE. Thats it I don't care if you like it or not go buy another pack because you are the one who has to wear it. One last thing please, it is childest to make up stories please refrain from doing so in the future and happy hunting
Bgmhiker and only Bgmhiker

First off Lambo III I'am not Bgmhiker and second my review of the pack was just my opinion not a sales pitch I thought some of the guys on here would like to see some pictures because they are no good pictures on sitka's site. I will admit that I have not packed any game with the pack yet and the most weight I have carried was around 40 lbs. I hunted with it everyday for a week and did not notice undue noise or the pockets on the belt getting in the way of my arms, in fact I really like the pockets for carrying small items and its perfect for my digital camera. Checked out the pack tonight for any stiches coming loose and everything looks fine, another thing I like is the pack does not seem to absorb rain like my 2200 which is another plus, also i've been out in some good rain storms here in western wa. and no leaks at all. I wish I worked for Sitka but I do not, again these are just my opinions take it for what its worth.

Oldlogger

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-08 AT 09:55AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-08 AT 09:30?AM (MST)

Monster Muleys made it really easy to check. All you need to do is click on the computer icon next to your name and if the numbers match with that of another one than they are from the same computer (kind of like DNA). The number you had the same was 146.23.68.23 but with this last post you tried to use a different computer but in doing so you have now matched a second 24.19.230.235. It could have been possible that one of these was some freak accident, but two is impossible. However, I really don't care if you are the same person or not it doesn't really effect my life one way or another. Lets just move on so this post can go back to being a review of the good and bad of the Sitka 45. I would love to hear from some others who have had some experiences with this bag. Oh and as a side note I own a little company that makes board game accessories (I had listed the name but I just removed it realizing that may not be the smartest thing to do.)

Sorry once again, but what ever you think you are figuring out it is wrong. I have much better things to do than pretend to have multiple personalities. Lets get this straight I have my opinion of the Sitka 45 you have yours, misguided as they are. Please stop accusing me, somehow your computer knowledge is flawed. Thanks for your time and enjoy packing out that elk with whatever pack you decide to use(granted you even hunt)

Bgmhiker

One more thing, Lamboo you said they pack does not carry weight well, and has all the weight on your shoulders. I would suggest you go to an REI or equivilent backpacking shop and learn the proper way to put on a backpack. Believe me this pack leaves NO weight on your shoulders it was designed I believe by people Sitka brought over from Arteryx and others. I also would never purchase something that costs 350 plus on the appearance. I think this shows your lack of knowledge and explains why you would attack me with stupid accusations.

Bgmhiker

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-08 AT 12:03PM (MST)[p]bgmhiker, thanks for your comments on Arc?teryx. This is how I feel this conversation should be and that it should be all about the products. I happen to be an avid backpacker and I would love to know who did design this pack. I heard the rumor that it was Gregory (which I know is not true since I am friends with one of their designers.) I am also very aware of Arc?teryx and am a big fan of their clothing and used to be a big fan of their packs. Unfortunately they have not updated their pack designs in over 10 years except for applying some jacket welding technology into their packs. As for the weight issue I think the issue we are running into is the one size fits all mentality. I am normally a large torso in packs and you may be a shorter torso length so the pack fits you a little better. Any good pack company should provide at least two torso lengths plus micro adjustments between all of the sizes. The problem I am having with the pack is that the load lifter straps (straps on the shoulder straps) angle down pulling the shoulder straps down on my shoulders instead of angling up pulling the shoulder straps off of my shoulders. As any good backpacker knows you should be able to slide your thumb easily between the shoulder strap and the top of your shoulder. Oh and as a side note, I have only once talked to a person at REI that really knew anything about packs (and I think he was a manager). I would suggest a small local store or someone with years of experience. Thanks again for your comments and happy hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-08 AT 11:37AM (MST)[p]Oh and as a side not bgmhiker I never once said that you worked for Sitka. I apologize if it sounded that way.

I just want to be clear that I never posted as someone else. I am usually a md torso and the regular size fits me great with the shoulder strap completely of my shoulder. The fit of this pack is very similar to my osprey. Perhaps you need the large size of this pack. I live in a small town in Wyoming so small shops are all the choices I have
Bgmhiker

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-08 AT 06:36PM (MST)[p]If that is the case, then Lambo, you are all three alias'. THe IP number 146.23.68.23 was listed on your last reply(#31). And it matches with the IP adress from reply #6 by oldlogger and the IP information from bgmhiker. Time to call Myth Busters???!!

you guys need to go back to school.

MM shows me as using 4 different IP's. I have one laptop, one username, and one ISP, although I connect at 2 different locations.

It looks like you guys are right. Sorry, Bgmhiker and Oldlogger it looks like my anger was unfounded after all.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom