Six Elk poached up by Patterson Pass

lvgrizfan

GAME WARDENS SEEK INFORMATION ON SIX ELK SHOT, LEFT TO ROT

poached-elkGame wardens at the Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW) are seeking the public?s help to solve the illegal killing of at least six elk, including four cows and two calves, in two different incidents in Lincoln County.

One group of elk was found on the west side of Mount Grafton and another group was discovered near Patterson Pass. Although the two different incidents were discovered near one another, game wardens do not think the cases are related.

"This level of senseless wildlife crime is unacceptable," said Tyler Turnipseed, Chief Game Warden at NDOW. "People wait years for the opportunity to hunt and harvest an elk, and it is unconscionable that some thoughtless person would shoot so many of these animals and leave them to rot."

The incident at Patterson Pass involved two cows and one calf. The Patterson crime scene was found on October, 5. The Mount Grafton crime scene was detected a few days later. This case also had two cows and one calf poached, with almost all of the meat left to rot. Illegally killing a big game animal is a felony in Nevada with fines ranging from $250 to $30,000 and can also include one to four years in prison and additional civil penalties. Leaving the animals to waste is a separate crime on top of the killing, punishable by up to a year in jail and $500 fine.

"There were many people hunting in this area, so we think someone may have seen something that might help us catch these criminals," said Turnipseed. "We depend on sportsmen to help us solve these kinds of crimes because we can't be everywhere at all times. This kind of egregious act should prompt outrage from the hunting community."

The Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW) protects, restores and manages fish and wildlife, and promotes fishing, hunting, and boating safety. NDOW?s wildlife and habitat conservation efforts are primarily funded by sportsmen?s license and conservation fees and a federal surcharge on hunting and fishing gear. Support wildlife and habitat conservation in Nevada by purchasing a hunting, fishing, or combination license. Find us on Facebook, Twitter or visit us at www.ndow.org.

Posted on 10/22/2014 11:58:35 AM
Explore Nevada:
Hunting
Fishing
Boating
dreamtag subpage

I'll say it. Start talking to the cattle ranchers. I had one tell me while I was cow elk hunting in Ely. He said "kill every damn one of those elk. They eat all of my cows feed".

Why would somone kill Elk for fun when there are Hundreds of Wild horses costing taxpayers over a million dollars per year. DOG FOOD!!!!!!!!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom