Smokey Hunting CLothes

cheeseheadinOHIO

This will be my first year hunting out west that we will camp. I was watching an Eastman's show and they were mule deer huntin in southern Utah sitting around a camp fire cooking steaks. Is hunting in smoke filled clothes a problem? I suppose sometimes there may be a fire and they smell it but it might be a danger smell to them. Any advice on sitting around the fire this year? Thanks.

I don't build fires when hunting. I just won't take the chance. Smoke is a pretty strong, distinguishable smell.

Maybe I just think differently or could it be that we've been somewhat 'brainwashed' by the hunting industry? I don't think that it is possible to completely romove your scent. I do think that some things can help, but nothing can get rid of it all together. I've read that the Native Americans used just what you're speaking of as scent control......if the game is smelling smoke....it's NOT smelling you. Sounds reasonable to me. Let's look at this from a logical viewpoint...why would a deer...or any game for that matter....be afraid of the smell of a campfire? Seriously...it's a natural, sometimes normal scent is it not? The hunting shows would lead us to believe that a deer is terrified of the smell of any petroleum product....BUT, since they don't drive or operate a vehilce to know that it may contain a firearm....why is that? I'll prove that wrong by this observation...On several occasions we have been clearing land for a food plot and left the bulldozer overnight at the sight only to find that the deer had walked right up to it....and even LICKED the diesel fuel off the side of the dozer...seen it happen several times with my own eyes. Guess they don't watch many hunting shows to learn that they're supposed to run hell-bent from any smell of gasoline or diesel fuel. I truly don't think that campfire smoke smell will hurt your hunting at all.....but that's just my opinion.

NOW, NOW......A WHITETAIL WILL SHOW UP TO A JACKIE BUSHMAN FOOD PLOT & LICK DIESEL FUEL OFF A RIG........BUT A MULEY BUCK IS WAY TOO SMART FOR THAT CRAPOLA.....BUT I THINK YOU ALREADY KNOW THAT....BUT I AGREE ....SMOKE IS NO BIG DEAL IN THE WOODS............YD.

Did Teddy wear Camo? Did your Grandfather wear CAMO? I think you get what I mean.
Go hunting and keep the wind in your face and the sun behind you.

Brian

One year on the bowhunt I woke up to a mule deer standing over my smouldering camp fire sniffing the smoke out of curiosity. Another time during the rifle elk hunt, we were all sitting around oour campfire at night telling about our days hunting experiences when a muley walked up behind my dad about ten feet from him before it snorted and took off. So they are a curious animal. Every year I hunt I probably smell like smoke, but I still get into the animals without using all that "scent lock" crap. Don't get pulled into the brainwashing talk that most hunting shows base all their footage on, with their must have "frills and bells" if you are to be a successful hunter. Success comes with experience. You do what works best for you. There are alot of ideas out there, Most of them are garbage. Play the wind and use the sun to your advantage. Goood luck.

Glad to hear that AWLB...when it comes to scent control and all that sort of thing.....you have to consider who is telling you to buy all this stuff and that game is terrified of all these certain smells. I totally agree with your statement about breathing.....I do believe that your breath is one of the major problems we have in the woods. I think that the longer you are out in the wild, the larger your scent pool becomes....up to a point......however....it seems that some 'professional' hunters on TV are exempt from this rule. LOL

Have to agree with a few on here. Scentlock and wafers, and pine perfume are all crap. You can't get rid of your scent. Period. Hunt with the wind in your face at all times or you're just asking for trouble.

Saw this over and over and over this past weekend. Hunters just aren't taking wind into account any more. Maybe it's rifle hunters that have switched to archery and they just don't get it or the archery industry has brainwashed these people to the point where they just throw on the scentlock and think they no longer need to worry about wind.

+1 AWLB & firemedic!!
Save your money and keep the wind in your face ;-)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I also agree with keeping the wind in your face and using the sun to your advantage. I use the scent killers and scent blocker technology though. I think that it can only help, it certainly wont hurt. I dont know if fire smoke would scare the animals or not, but why risk it? Lets face it, most game animals do not smell smoke unless they are around humans. Most game animals are afraid of humans. Now a yaerling buck may not associate those smells but a mature buck might. A mature buck whose been chased around by campfire smelling humans definately will. Also, old smoke on clothing smells different than fresh smoke. When there is a natural fire, animals run like he** from it, they dont sit around and sniff it (I've seen Bambi, I know!). They are very curious animals, thats how they learn to associate certain smells with humans. They also know that humans= DANGER.
I used to smoke cigarettes and so did all of my hunting buddies, most of the deer that we ever seen were running like he** away from us. I did not harvest a deer for about the first 7 years I hunted. I quit smoking and so did some of my friends and have lost touch with the ones who still smoke. Since I have quit smoking... I have harvested a deer EVERY year but one! I am certainly not saying that's the only reason i have harvested deer, but I am sure that it helped. Tobacco smoke is a "natural smell" also. BTW, I never smoked while I was hunting but it was in my clothes. I also know that alot of smokers shoot deer, I just think that it can affect the way the deer react.

"Tobacco smoke is a "natural smell" also."...ya except for the 100s of chemicals being burned it is all natural....

Build a fire..smoke your clothes out with truly natural pine/fir/oak or even sage brush. Camp fire smoke is a good masking scent and is better than armpit scent. We make it a point to smoke out our clothes after a day or two of sweating. It has worked for us for many years. And the guys are right...you can smell like a armpit, but if the wind is good, it doesn't matter much...unless you're very very close.

HK

I've learned to ignore the effects of smoke. No matter which side of the fire I sit on, the smoke always follows me anyway.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom