snake identification

mntman

Long Time Member
Do any of you know what kind of snake this is? I seen it in colorado springs. I looked up the species of colorado but couldn't find a picture that matches. It was really agressive and was constantly attacking my boots, it was about 18-20" long.
Thanks.

6819photo0130.jpg

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

It'd be more easily identified with his head chopped off with a shovel, then it'd be called a "dead snake"!!

With the arrow shaped head it almost looks like a pit viper of some fashion. That snake needs to die.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

>With the arrow shaped head it
>almost looks like a pit
>viper of some fashion. That
>snake needs to die.
>
>"Courage is being scared to death
>but saddling up anyway."

I agree; that looks like a pit viper of some sort.

....some color variation of a garter snake

hold you cat down there close to check to see if it is venomous......

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

It's a small Plains Garter Snake. Can grow up to 40+ inches.
It's color phase will change a little bit as it grows.
Nice looking snake.

A Garter Snake with a head shaped like that?

Looks more like somebody's Exotic that has escaped to me?

I'd be VERY careful with a snake that has that triangular arrowhead shaped head. Most harmless snakes i deal with, their head is about or close to the same width as their neck. The coral snake would be a exception but i never have seen one.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

We were at my daughters soccer practice, so no shovel. My two youngest daughters wanted me to pick it up and bring it home, at first I tried but then it was just way to agreesive and like stated, that triangular shaped head had me a little worried. That shape doesn't match up to any garter snake variety, they have a more oval shaped head.
And I played with a lot of garter snakes growing up as a kid and only one ever bit me, this one tried at least 30 times in the couple minutes I was messing with it. I could even see some decent sized fangs sprout out when it would strike.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-12 AT 07:36AM (MST)[p]Slinginglead is right - it is a Plains Garter Snake in a darker color phase. The yellow line down the back is a dead give away for a garter snake. The head appears more triangular beause of its defensive pose. It is a "good" snake - eats mice, frogs, bugs, and a lot of other creepy stuff.

Here are some similar pics.

1401plainsgartersnake1.jpg

8156plainsgartersnake2.jpg

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Garden variety garter snake.

Most snakes heads become wedge shaped when threatened and they also imitate the rattle with their tails. It is a defense mechanism that obviously works.

Don't pick these up since they emit an oil that stinks to high heaven and is difficult to wash off your hands.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

1911's pic's matched up much better than Roy's IMO, and to my knowledge, it can't be both a Garter and a Gopher Snake. Didn't the OP say that he could see Fangs when it struck? Good point about the head changing shape when it becomes defensive but i'll tell you what, stink or not, i still ain't gonna pick that sob up on a bet! lol

I told the story of my stepping on a big rattler while going downhill in steep country with a gutted blacktail on my back. No mistaken identity in that case i'll tell you! :) Just have had too many close calls and figure my luck with them must just be about used up.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

GARTER SNAKE NO DOUBT. I WILL SAY I HAVE NOT EVER SEEN A PRETTIER SNAKE COLOR PHASE IN MY TIME.......THATS A BEAUTY FOE SURE........................YD.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-12 AT 04:42PM (MST)[p]Its a garter snake! If you would have picked it up it would have pooped all over you and thats about it.

No fangs in that one!!
I think some of you guys will see fangs in every snake you see.

This is a young one. You will see the colors match up. There are very few poisonous snakes in Colorado.

270220px-gartersnake2128.jpg

Can we update this forum so posting with a
phone is easier?

Well that proves it right there - you wouldn't recognize a garter snake if it did jump up and bite you Bess!!

Yes that IS a garter snake. And what the heck are you talking about Nick?? Get your reading glasses out grandpa!!

The original is a bad pic, but you can clearly see the reticulated banding, yellow stripe with red throughout the body.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

>Well that proves it right there
>- you wouldn't recognize a
>garter snake if it did
>jump up and bite you
>Bess!!
>
>Yes that IS a garter snake.
>And what the heck are
>you talking about Nick?? Get
>your reading glasses out grandpa!!
>
>
>The original is a bad pic,
>but you can clearly see
>the reticulated banding, yellow stripe
>with red throughout the body.
>
>
>
>HOOK 'EM!
>_______________________________________
>
>Since I am frequently asked about
>my religion on this site
>and others, I have created
>a profile that explains my
>beliefs. If you are interested
>in finding out more about
>my faith, please visit the
>link below:
>
>http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

I sure the ##### do recognize a Garter Snake when I see one!

That's an Exotic that somebody turned loose!

Round eyes or cat type eyes.
Round eye good snake, any other shape eyes kill it and bury it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Mormon is probably correct. I hear he has handled more one eyed spitting trouser vipers then anyone on this site. Lol

Can we update this forum so posting with a
phone is easier?

Eee-Gads, gives me the creeps!!

How about this? Garter snake, Gopher snake, escaped Exotic...i still ain't picking that sob up! :)

Joey

I think I see Similarities in the Snake & Wisz's Vernon Buck!

How bout you Guys?

549vernon_buck.jpg

2910snake.jpg

This is Wisz Singing:"The Buck & Snake of many Colors that the DWR saved for Me"!

That's more like it.

On second thought, that is not a snake at all, it is just a common gardenhose with a unique sprinkler attachment.

HOOK 'EM!

In my world there is only one kind of snake and I call it snake! I would've been running and screaming with my hands over my head.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-12 AT 11:59AM (MST)[p]What kind of gopher snake is this?

3478boacake.jpg

HOOK 'EM!

Could we please drop the Garter snake crap? And would someone please post a photo of a girl in a Garter Belt?

:)

Eel

Picture in question is a Western Garter Snake. Spent 3 years doing working with a Herpetologist and studied that specific snake for more than 8 months, seeing 100's of them. The one is the post before this with the long legs is not poisonous but in itself is every bit as deadly as a viper.

If you spent 3 years with them and cant tell that isnt one in that first pic you wasted 3 years,look at the head shape,the banding,the shorter,wider body......the triangular shaped/viper head is a dead give away.

a dead give away to what???..... a previously unknown viper species now inhabiting utah????

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-12 AT 02:04PM (MST)[p]Colorado Springs area actually, so yeah, it looks like there is a new viper there!

This is worse than "wolf or coyote" threads.

Western Plains Garter Snake

http://srelherp.uga.edu/jd/jdweb/Herps/species/USsnakes/tharadhay.htm

Pay particularly close attention to :05 and the comments. Typical garter snake defensive behavior - they flatten their heads, making them appear like a viper, yet they are not.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rdodson/3490609098/

http://140.247.232.200/pages/1055205/overview

HOOK 'EM!

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-12
>AT 11:59?AM (MST)

>
>What kind of gopher snake is
>this?
>
>
>
>
3478boacake.jpg

>
>HOOK 'EM!
>_______________________________________
>
>Since I am frequently asked about
>my religion on this site
>and others, I have created
>a profile that explains my
>beliefs. If you are interested
>in finding out more about
>my faith, please visit the
>link below:
>
>http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

I'd say that is:I'm gonna go-fer a Samich Snake.
I ain't buying the Garter Snake bs,that's a Biting son of a gun.

2574cummins.jpg

Don't know a thing about the 1st post but post 40 is definitely a "Hairy Split Tail Python Receiver" I'm not sure what the scientific name is... can anybody help with that?

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom