Snipe Hunting

troutcarver

Here is a fun little post. We took our scouts out last Sat. for a little snipe hunt. I think they had a great time chasing the little buggers around. The story got really thick and deep. I even made up hunting Licences for them. The question is. What are some of you favorite snipe hunt memories that you have? What equipment is best. We used a bag and a long thick stick. Are there any other great ideas and how to catch them?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-07 AT 05:45PM (MST)[p]Because of the growing popularity of this sport, SCI is about to come out with a separate trophy book that will include snipe species from around the world and even have a category for those killed behind high fences, i.e. "exotics."

Perhaps someone will also start a dedicated web site called "Super Snipies" that will come complete with a reader-generated magazine telling the epic tales of trophy snipe hunts.

As a result of all of the above, this type of hunting will also be perverted and ruined by egos and greed. -TONY

I know there real but thay do not live in the U.S. I say GET A LIFE. See this is what happens to peple who can't kill big game thay hunt thengs that ant there. lol

On the contrary, a couple subspecies of snipe inhabit the U.S. Two most prevalent are the common and Wilson's snipe.

Now, here a trivia question:

What commonly used term came into being and is widely used because of these birds?? -TONY

Atually they live throughout the U.S. Nesting in the north and migrating south to winter.

I think if you read the original post carefully you will see it is all about playing a prank on the boys.

Our favorite way was to have the boys fan out and surround a swampy area. We would then tell them to beat the grass with there sticks while closing in making a circle. We would then tell them to charge in with there bags in the air. All of them ended up soaking wet and muddy.

Boy that was the good ole days.

Have bow will travel

>Now, here a trivia question:
>
>What commonly used term came into
>being and is widely used
>because of these birds?? -TONY
>

SNIPER. "The elusive nature of the snipe is well-known among hunters. In the days of market hunting, the most skilled hunters of all would often bring many Common Snipe to market earning the nickname "sniper" as a badge of respect for the difficulty in shooting this amazing little bird."-Wikipedia

"I think if you read the original post carefully you will see it is all about playing a prank on the boys."

Thats just mean. Why would you play a prank on poor unsuspecting scouts. Thats not very trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, or reverent. Some people's children. I shame you all! SHAME!! SHAME!!

Snipe taste great! They are much better than sand pippers, and lesser yellow legs. Ohhh, curlew and black ibis are great as well.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-07 AT 12:23PM (MST)[p]>Tuffbucker,
>
>Cheater! :D -TONY

I knew the answer, but Wikipedia had a better explanation than my confusing ramblings!

As others have pointed out, they are real and fairly common, but few hunters pursue them.

Actually, at one time snipe were THE most sought after and most harvested game bird in the country (late 1800s-early 1900s). For those who enjoy the history of the hunt, check out some of the writings by Worth Matthewson (frequent contributor to Gray's Sporting Journal). He even wrote a book entirely about snipe and snipe hunting. In a nutshell, snipe hunting was huge around the turn of the last century, but the tradition and history was lost when shorebird hunting was eliminated about 1918. The story goes that only a quirk of circumstance even caused the reopening of snipe hunting sometime in the 1950s - when the chief of the USFWS was hunting with a friend in Alaska who very much wanted snipe seasons reopened. Upon seeing vast numbers of snipe in Alaska, the chief conceded that snipe should not be lumped with typical shorebirds and seasons were reopened. Most states have a snipe season that runs concurrent with duck season and the normal daily bag limit is 8.

It sounds like there are quite of few people out there that need to go out on a snipe hunt. I just made up the awards Im giving to the boys for there excellent efforts. Its a certificate that has small picure of a Jackalope, bigfoot and the all elusive snipe.

California has a Snipe season. Back when I hunted them the limit was 8 per day. Don't know what it is now. I do know that it is physically impossible to carry enough shells to kill 8 Snipe in one day.:)

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-07 AT 10:04PM (MST)[p]Yeah, snipe are great gamebirds, good eating, just not much to them, maybe about size of a dove. In a lot of places the limit is 8, and mostly coincides with duck season, they occupy a lot of same habitat as waterfowl. Tough targets, great wingshooting challenge, a lot of fun if you find a good spot. My best day in recent memory was 8 with 13 shots, lost one, missed one. One hunt a long time ago I had a great streak going, shot 7 snipe in 8 shots, but then took ~20 shells to get last bird. Most days if feel OK if I can get 1 bird per 3 or 4 shells.

Here's a pic from last November, couldn't find a better picture of the bird.
46b93e2d3ee83a40.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom