Southwest Montana bears

armybrat

We came up Mid-late May last year seemed about right for snow melt off for bears. Last year Montana got pound, not so this year. We also came up the last week of the hunt in June. We saw more bears in May. Seemed like the bears had a lot more feed and were harder to locate in June. Just wondering, because of the lack of snow this year should be coming earlier. We have planned the 23-31 of May but could come earlier. What do you expert bear hunters think. This is only my second year hunting spring bear and still have a lot to learn. Does Snow have a huge impact on when bears come out or do they come out pretty close to the same time, depending on the geographical area. We don't have a lot of bears in utah so it is pretty hard for me to judge for myself. Any bear help would be great

In the SW Montana area (and eastern Idaho where I hunt) the tough part might be getting to the hunting area because of snow. Island Park still has 40" on the ground in the flats; probably twice that much up high. Mid-May is fairly early to get started unless you can find some south facing slopes that are beginning to thaw and turn green.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom