Spot and stalk?

idahoan

I want to hunt bears but am not sure where I can go to spot and stalk? I have only hunted bears once, and was wondering where i could effectivly put my time in. I am married and I am going to college. I get out to hunt but dont have time or resources to bait them. My buddys went up to the sellway last year but no luck, and so just wondering if anyone has any tips that they would share? I live in Rexburg

I hunted around Black Mountain just east of Palisades Reservoir a couple of years ago, shot a nice 6' cinnamon. You can glass alot of country, take a wheeler, spotting scope. Look for elk, they should be down lower, you'll find bears in the same spots. Down low on the east side there is alot of private land, with little access, but you can get to it from a couple of wheeler roads, I shot my bear down low, in fact that's where we saw all the bears and most of the sign. Plenty of places to camp or you can stay in Alpine, it's pre-season so hotel rates are pretty cheap.

I know there are alot of bears up by Ashton and Last Chance, I've just never hunted there.

Good luck.

Thanks Smitty I will look into that. I have wanted to go and try that area I just wasnt sure if it was open to spot and stalk. What other than scat can I look for as far as sign

I would get up on top of Black Mtn. there is a radio tower there with a wheeler road, there should be some snow left, you will find tracks heading down, either side, tons of country to glass. You will see some alfalfa fields and cabins down and to the south, most of the bear sign I found was down there. There is private land but there is a wheeler road that gets you in there from the Salt river. I did find an enourmous track in the snow after I had shot mine, 6'+ bear. On the other side of Black Mtn is where alot of guys will bait, I wouldn't waste my time trying to do that though. It can get expensive and it's very time consuming. PM me if you want some more extensive details and I will get you my phone number.

Go to ashton/island park lots of area...i had a cin run across the road in front of me..be prepared they arent like a deer and just gonna let you get a good look. I had a inch of brown that i could have shot..but a wounded bear didnt sound like fun to me

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom