Spotting Scope for Backpacking

drake2h

I'm ready to purchase a spotting scope but am debating between the standard models (~65mm objective, ~3-4 lb) and compact models (~50mm objective, 1-1.5 lb). I understand the compact models offer a serious weight advantage (which is important because 80% of my hunting is in a backpacking situation), but I'm hesitant to compromise too much on light gathering ability, image quality, and additional zoom that the standard models can offer.

What have your experiences been? Which way would you go? Any models you'd recommend? For reference, my budget is going to limit me to around $500-600. Thanks.

Check out the Leupold Gold Ring 15-30X50 spotter. The optics are unbelievable for a scope of that size and price. I use mine all the time for our early hunts here in California (July)

Vortex Nomad 20-60X60. Compact and it's lightweight. If your in Salt Lake, I will have one for people to look through down at Antlerfest. We will also have a bunch of other Vortex Optics for people to look through on June 7th.

CS

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - VIP Optics

I second checking out the Leupold. My dad has it and loves it. I am super impressed by its clarity. On the other hand, I have a bigger scope because I didn't want to sacrifice the light and power. I had the vortex and didn't care for it, but a lot of guys do. Best of luck.

I have a few different spotting scopes that I use depending on the type of hunt I'm on. My favorite is my Swarovski when I don't have to carry it far. However, when I backpack into the wilderness I use the Nikon 50mm ED spotter with straight barrel. The clarity is superb and you can't beat the weight (16.1 oz) or packable size (8.2" x 2.8"). The magnification is 13x-30x.

This is Nikon's high end glass and I believe they retail somewhere around $700.00. A bit more than what you wanted to spend, but a perfect scope for backpacking, IMO.

NKFS50Z.jpg

BOHNTR )))---------->

For a compact, I use the Brunton Eterna 50 ED 18-38x. It weighs 24oz, 8" long, good eye relief, large ocular and has excellent clarity. I've seen them as low as $420, but usually sells a bit over $500. I got mine at a hunt show on the last day from a Brunton rep for $350.

With the Vortex High Country tripod at 2lbs, my pack scope/tripod comes in at 3 1/2lbs total.

I agree with BOHNTR that the Nikon compact is a great scope as well.

Ed

4831bafb7063c77c.jpg

The Nikon 13-30x50 ED is available through Doug at CameraLand as a demo unit for $500.

The Nikon XL Spotter II 16x48 has been a great one for me. Both hunting buddies use them as well. We pack them all over Hells Canyon and NW Montana. Great glass, very happy with the choice.

I 2nd what BOHNTR & hntnfool said. I went with the Leupold Compact 15-30x50mm though....mainly because of price. I saw it @ the ISE Salt lake show and it was amazing. I however didn't look through the Nikon, but doubt you could go wrong with it either. I've had the leupold out and it is awesome....no darkening when you zoom to 30x (which I thought might happen), image stays crisp edge-to-edge, and it's small. I've had the mid-size spotter (15x-45x) and I always left it at the quad/truck cause I didn't want to pack it in. I will not even hesitate to pack the Leupold this year. Good Luck with your search! I was doing the same thing about a month ago.

Check out the Pentax PF ED in the 20-60 x 65. Super compact and fairly lightweight. Excellent glass right in your price range.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom