Spring Bear Hunt Access Problems?

nebo12000

I've had a few people say that they are having problems accessing bear hunting areas via improved Forest Service roads. Most gates are still locked. Is it a problem for hunters? Need your opinions and feelings on this--

I think it is a problem. If I had a bear tag right now and wanted to get out, it would be very tough. But I also see the other side of the fence too. You will have dip sticks going out and trying to pass a 3 foot drift of snow and get stuck, tearing up the road, and making things worse. So it is a problem. This is a reason you DONT APPLY FOR A HUNT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT AND WHERE YOU CAN HUNT with the current access' you have.

What if the FS allowed successful bear tag holders to call them and do some type of registration with them that would allow them to take two wheel motorcycles and/or a 4 wheeler around the gates. This would apply only to improved/hard surface roads and they would have to stay on the road-- no off-roading. What do you think.
If the FS doesn't want to deal with a system like that, then maybe a little disclaimer on the draw application to draw applicants stating that access via hard packed roads on public/FS administered land may not be available during the Spring Bear hunt.

Most FS districts in Utah are ok to deal with.
Common sense prevails in ares away from the Wasatch front.

The Wasatch unit its self is the worst I've seen.
The SF and PG districts have got WAY worse over the last 5 years...

Didn't used to be this way.
NEVER had gates unit resent years.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

This issue effects State Licensed turkey hunters, bear hunters, late LE elk hunters, antlerless elk hunters, shed hunters with a State cetification, and I'm sure other people too. There is an area I enjoy turkey hunting which is a 5 mile hike one way when the gates are closed-- and most years they are closed through the end of the turkey hunt.

On one hand you have them trying to protect the roads (there are many dirt roads leading off of paved roads) and the resource. On the other hand, some years they could open the gates sooner than the specified "Date". One solution may be to allow motorcycles, atvs of a certain width, and snowmobiles around the gates. I don't think they should allow one person and not another who may also have reason to use the resource in a comparable manner. In the end, we have a personal responsibility to know what can effect the tags we draw.

>I think it is a problem.
> If I had a
>bear tag right now and
>wanted to get out, it
>would be very tough.
>But I also see the
>other side of the fence
>too. You will have
>dip sticks going out and
>trying to pass a 3
>foot drift of snow and
>get stuck, tearing up the
>road, and making things worse.
> So it is a
>problem. This is a
>reason you DONT APPLY FOR
>A HUNT UNLESS YOU KNOW
>WHAT AND WHERE YOU CAN
>HUNT with the current access'
>you have.

Exactly!
Zeke

This has been a problem for years and getting worse. They use the excuse to protect the roads, as should be but over the years non hunters have been allowed to move up in the fs. The dwr has been working on this issue with no success. Key management people in fs on the Wasatch do not like hunting. More and more is going to get shut down till spring hunts are over.

It seemed that the FS was beginning to be more accommodating of the public. It seems that the last few years it has started going the other way. Not sure how to work with them. It certainly seems reasonable that if the road is clear of snow, they would open it up. It seems that they're going back to the "travel plan" and having hard fast dates. I understand that they are making some adjustments on the new "travel plan" that hopefully will have some less restrictive use in regards to this issue. I hope we don't find that they are in the "silo" mode.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom