St.Patricks day party, Texas style

elkhunter49

Here is how we spend time after hunting season when the wind is blowing too hard to fish.

St.Patricks day turned out to be lucky for the Baker's but not so great for one paticular Scimitar Horned Oryx in Webb county. I was able to take my wife and my son on a 1 day hunt in South Texas on the Diamond G Ranch yesterday and we had a blast! The Diamond G was my first hunt in south Texas and I loved it. I've read for years about the thick/thorny south Texas brush but I was still amazed at how in most places it seems almost impenetrable yet animals the size of an oryx can move thru it with ease. The Diamond G has a 20+ year old herd of Scimitars that know every catus and mesquite on the place and how to use them to escape. We started the hunt at daylight yesterday and my son killed his bull about an hour before dark. We hunted from a high rack truck for several hours and were allowed to ease around a few of the senderos for about half a day on foot to try and cut off several different groups of Oryx. Logan was able to make a fantastic shot (270 yards with my trusty 300wm, Hornady 180grain SST superformance) on an old solitary bull that was feeding along with a small herd of Axis near a waterhole. The shot anchored the bull in the clearing and prevented a drag thru the catus. The ranch has 2 tanks on it and while both had water they could use some rain. Total for the day was tooooo many javalina (one less than before) 1 Oryx bull down for my son and probably 25 or so more that were spotted, 15 or so axis, 1 group of Ibex, 3 elk, and lots of whitetail deer. Logans bull is 38.5" and 37" with one side broomed off from fighting I guess. It's not often that you get to spend a day with your wife and son and you know everyone will remember it for years if not forever. It was a great to have my wife get to join the boys for a day in the field and the only thing that could have made it better is if my daughter could have joined us but LSU's springbreak is not until next month. I'm posting a few photos of the hunt and while some are a little bloody I wanted to show off my son's shot placement on his bull. He punchend him low and right behind the shoulder just as I had been coaching him to do. Later Taters' Baker
9460oryx_hunt_3-17-2012_007.jpg

7386oryx_hunt_3-17-2012_010.jpg

3626oryx_hunt_3-17-2012_012.jpg

8220oryx_hunt_3-17-2012_016.jpg

CONGRATS, THATS A GOOD HUNT FOR SURE. THE ORYX ARE SOMETHING I WILL NEED TO CHASE MYSELF. BUT......YOU REALLY SHOULD HAVE CLEANED UP THE BLOOD IN THE 2ND PIC. YOU STILL COULD HAVE SHOWN WHERE HE WAS HIT, ITS STANDARD PRACTICE. BEAUTIFUL ANIMALS, AND I KNOW THEY EAT WELL..........CONGRATS........YD.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-12 AT 12:27PM (MST)[p]Good job!!!!

Great your son got one before the ban :)

I got mine a few weeks ago too.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm a hunter and I have been since I was a very young boy. I'm not going to apologize for my son making an outstanding shot and an ethicial,legal kill. If anyone is offended by a little animal blood then stay away from the hunting forum's and especially threads started by Elkhunter49. I'm out to kill and eat some speckled trout. Later Taters. Baker

Looked to me like the bull hooked himself when he spun around but thats just a guess. I couldn't see anything very deep when we skinned him.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom