Stansbury Bighorn Tag

katorade

My dad was lucky with 3 points to draw the Stansbury, Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep tag!! Can't wait being our first experience hunting sheep! Any tips or advice on anything Sheep or about the Unit will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I don't know the unit well but I do have 3 tips for you about the rare opportunity to hunt sheep:

1- Have fun!
2- Have fun!!
3- Have fun!!!

You'll have a great time so document as much of the preparation and the actual hunt as you can. I try to video and snap photos as much as possible without letting it disrupt the hunt. I also write in my sheep journal before, during and after the hunt. It'll help you remember details and in years to come it's fun to read about the hunt.

Good luck,
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-12 AT 08:16AM (MST)[p]Congrats! You guys will have a great time. The big question will be if your dad is willing to take one with a collar. Almost all of the older rams do have collars but there are getting to be a few real nice ones without too. I can't wait to help you guys out as much as I can.

Zeke has it right. The one thing I regret not doing is keeping a journal of my hunt. I didnt think it would last as long as it did, looking back now its hard to recal everything that happend and when.

First congratulations on a great tag!
I don't think you can have a bad experience out there and Zeke's advice will come naturally.
Ridgetops knows that unit as well as anyone alive and I would take advantage of his offer to help. Also, I know the other tag holder and I am willing to help you both if you are interested. My son and I were able to tag along with ridgetops on his hunt and he killed the state record Cali off that mountain.
As Zeke suggested, go have a blast because it won't happen again.

I really enjoyed seeing ridgetops pics and feeling his excitement before, during and after the hunt! I remember that sweet ram of his! He had a great hunt and wish I would have been there. He's certainly the guy for fresh intel in that unit! Had I drawn the tag, he would have been my first call for help.

Don't be a bit bashful about reaching out for all the help you can get. I do it on every hunt, and in return, try to help others. It's kinda what sheep hunters do. It's hard to have too much information.

Zeke

+1 Zeke, you can never have enough info.... seemed like i spent as much time on the phone as i did scouting...plus you get the benifit of talking sheep with alot of guys who know what you are going thru and lived what you are about to experience.

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

And the friendships which are developed! I know we make a friendship because you had a sheep tag Mr Treed.

It's amazing how common interests bring us together.

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom