Stewart Udall dies

piper

Long Time Member
Im a little tired of health care, so Im mentioning this, and because he was a politician that I admired, and I got to listen to him speak about eight or nine years ago in Elko Nevada at the annual cowboy poetry gathering. Elko is known for being a hotbed for the anti-government, anti-public land, anti-wilderness crowd, and of course before his arrival some of the locals gathered signatures saying the city didn't want to hear him talk, idiots in my opinion.(my dad signed it when he was in the Lamoille bar). He drew a large crowd and a bunch of them didn't like what they had heard about this person, him being a politician and an author of the 1964 wilderness act and all. Anyway his talk wasn't about anything in particular, but after fascinating 45 minute speech everyone in the place gave him a long standing ovation, well everyone except Nevada state congressman John Carpenter, who remained seated, his sour face looking at the floor, and I can tell you that I really enjoyed seeing that sight. He was an amazing speaker and very interesting person. There is a good article in USA today about Stewart Udalls life.

well....that's a start.

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

You should move to Elko, 13er, you would fit right in, sometimes the chukkar hunting is good you know.

Aspen - you give me the creeps. I hope your not an example of the majority of the younger generation, It doesn't bode well for America.

People like Stewart give me the craps..I mean creeps.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

"When last we visited at his home, I asked the liberal Udall what he thought about today's politics and the congress. He quickly responded that his major surprise and disappointment was that environmental protection was no longer a bipartisan policy. He recalled that during his almost two decades in Washington the two political parties were in full agreement about preserving and protecting the landscape, particularly in its most pristine and critical condition.."

Read the full story here: http://bit.ly/cisMIe

He's also responsible for more then 50 wildlife refuges . . .

"If in our haste to 'progress,' the economics of ecology are disregarded by citizens and policy makers alike, the result will be an ugly America," Udall wrote. "We cannot afford an America where expedience tramples upon esthetics and development decisions are made with an eye only on the present."

good thing he rescued animals

they had nowhere to go

except maybe the 500 million federally controlled acres already in place before mr udall

i really hope obama gets his land grab in utah....it would be a prefect tribute to udall....

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom