Strategy

D

drcalderwood

I wanted to pick some of your brains for hunting strategy on my limited entry rifle hunt for elk. This is the first time I will have been able to shoot a big bull, and the first time I will have been able to hunt elk in the rut.
I have scouted out my area and am now really familiar with it. There are tons of elk in this area and not much pressure from other hunters due to it being further from the roads. (We have hunted near here for years during the general hunt) I have seen plenty of bulls this year, and I spotted a huge 360+ bull in the area last month. I'm hoping for a 340 or bigger bull, but will definitely lower that standard as the week goes by.
Up until now my hunting strategy has been to sit and glass a hillside, ridge line, or canyon bottom until the elk pass by. We have had good success doing this on our spike hunts over the years. The problem with this area is that the elk hang in the aspens in this basin. They have tons of feed in the aspens and cover all the way to the water holes. The basin is about 3 square miles. There aren't any ridge lines or hillsides that are under 600 yards from any vantage point, and the canyon bottoms don't provide any good views. To be honest, it's a great archery area due to the cover. There are some good water holes (3 that I know of in some thick cover) that see quite a bit of elk traffic. But with me having a rifle, I'm not wanting to just sit on a water hole if there is a better way.
So I was wondering if come opening morning I should sit on a ridge, listen for the bulls bugling, and then spot and stalk. If it is a bull of size, shoot him. If not, back away carefully and go stalk another bugling bull. My question with this is how close I will be able to sneak up on them if the cows are surrounding the bulls. I'm afraid they might bolt if they detect me. I was also wondering if I should just go to some meadows on the edges of the aspens and try to call them out into the open. How have you guys hunted the LE elk hunt for rifle?

There is no perfect answer to the question that you pose. There are lots of factors that go on during the rut that can affect the hunt. The moon phase can affect rutting activity. The weather can also affect things.

I personally think that you have to adapt to what the animals are doing. Last year for my brothers LE rifle hunt we had hot dry weather conditions and the rut was very weak. We could get bulls to answer occasional bugles but they would run from cow calls. My trail cameras last year showed the bulls hitting wallows almost exclusively at night during the full moon phases which can affect hunting activity. If the rut is in full swing you can definitely sneak in on bugles to check out the size of the bull. Having multiple bulls bugling is great because there are many possibilities to choose from. Calling can work but there are many different situations involved in calling for the right scenarios. In summary, if you go into your hunt prepared to adjust to the animals activities, you should do very well. I hope that helps you a little. Just give it your all and you will get your bull. Good Luck!!

Like foxskinner said, there is no perfect answer. You must adapt to the situation. I have yet to hunt a unit/place where I could plan my entire day out and know exactly what I was going to be doing before the hunt. Yes I always make plan a, b and c but usually I end up with plan z before I have success.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Like others have stated you need to adapt. Sounds like you have done your homework and know the area. One thing that stands out to me, is you've done pre season scouting and have hunted the area before, but between now and the spike hunt, you have the rut. Have you been in the area while the rut is going? If not I would sneak in there during the dark and just listen, see if you know where the bulls are, play the wind and go from there. Depending on the area some bulls will travel from summer grounds to there rutting grounds, which could be miles apart. But if you have seen good bulls during the spike hunt you should be in good shape. Good luck, and post some pics of your hunt.

I agree that you need to let the elk dictate your moves. If you find yourself needing to move in on a herd when there are a lot of eyes on you, this is one way it can be done. Customers have been having a lot of success moving inside 100 yards on large elk herds, slowly "feeding in" like a beef cow with this unit. And you can take your shot off the top of it.

Since it easily converts into a trekking pole, you can walk in and out of the canyon with it as well.

Send me a PM for discount codes on this versatile decoy system

blind3-1_zps359636e4.jpg

meadowmoosmall_zps4a876204.jpg

Best of Luck,
Jeff (MM Sponsor)
http://www.elkmtngear.com

The old pump shotgun and cow umbrella has always been one of my favorite techniques when it comes to LE elk.

Seeing as how you have never hunted in the rut before I would be inclined to encourage you to get right in on the action. Glassing may be good if you are solely interested in finding a good bull and killing him. If it were me hunting and I knew that the area held quality bulls, I would try to put myself right in the middle of them and have fun with it. I cant think of anything more exciting than being right in the middle of 6 bulls all going crazy. You may not end up with the biggest bull in the unit but I guarantee you will have fun chasing em.

Like the others said, you can go in with a solid plan but the most important thing is being able to adapt to what the animals are doing. Have fun and let us know how it turns out for you!

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Thanks for the advice guys. That's what I needed to hear. I'm not looking for the biggest bull out there, though it would be nice to get a monster and post pictures on here to prove the anti-wasatch unit guys wrong.
As for the decoy, would that even be legal to use during the rifle hunt? I love the idea of using the slip system to sneak up on the elk that are hanging in the aspens and not willing to come out. There is no way I would use one of those in the open during the rifle hunt. But I'm thinking that with the LE hunt having fewer hunters and if I only used it once I was in the trees, I could confidently use it without getting shot by some yahoo.
It sounds like opening weekend I will spot and stalk and then change it up the following days if that isn't working. You guys are the best.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-13 AT 11:02AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-13 AT 10:57?AM (MST)
ARMoo_zps77928a23.jpg

Still not the correct weapon, but getting closer ;)

I certainly wouldn't use the Elk Decoy Covers during any Rifle Season...even in the trees.

I would use the Moo Cow Cover. Do people shoot range cattle during elk Season out there on a regular basis in those units?

Best of Luck,
Jeff (MM Sponsor)
http://www.elkmtngear.com

I think people shoot anything that moves during rifle season in Utah unfortunately.

I think your question was answered in the first post or two.

DON'T COUNT ON A STRONG RUT THIS YEAR. THE DATES ARE SUPER EARLY.

Spot and stalk, listen, work in on a good bull, pull back from those smaller ones and PRAY it isn't as hot ans dry as it was last year!!!!!!!!

Go with the flow. You can make all sorts of plans but the elk will determine the tactics required if you want success.

Remember, lots of guys don't fill LE tags. It really can be tough and physical. Don't bank on the bulls being silly in the rut!

We'll be back up after the elk again this year. Man, I hope it's cooler!

Zeke

PS: You described exactly where we'll be. See you there!

Dang you guys!!!
Giving away my secret "elk honey hole"!!!
Man that chaps my keeester!

Zeke, I'll be following you and your bro to that "honey hole"!!!

LMAO, you mean there are still secrets on the Wasatch? You could have fooled me!

I won't talk about some spots because they were shown to me by trusting friends. The spots are not a secret, the spots are just not mine to share.

Come on LBH, you and I will probably be hunting baby bulls together this year (along with a thousand of my closest friends) and you know all my secrets anyway. No need to follow me when you can just ride in my truck!

Zeke

If they will talk, run and gun. You will find this much more fun than sitting a water hole. You should see many more animals if you can keep your finger off the trigger. If they won't talk then it's glassing or water holes. GOOD LUCK!

If you're in the shape to do it run and gun.

I'd say don't chase every bugle because you'll get tired, but you'll often need to get down into the canyons to hear them. The should be moving around enough to glass them up when they move through openings, even if there aren't that many. When you find a bull you like, go after him, or try to pattern him as they'll often keep fairly routine patterns if they're not disturbed.

Just don't overdo it and end up sitting at camp with tired legs.

WYmoose

>The old pump shotgun and cow
>umbrella has always been one
>of my favorite techniques when
>it comes to LE elk.
>

This made me LMAO!!!

I found out somehow what area you talking about in your post. I have hunted archery there for 7 years. It has gotten super crowded up there and so you should beware that you are going to be hearing and seeing lots of hunters. That being said, the elk do the same thing when they see pressure. They head for the north facing, deep canyons. I have loved hunting up there but have had to venture elsewhere because of so many people. Even if you don't see them now, they will be there during the hunt. Good luck!

Advice from a Grizzly: Live Large. Take
what is yours. Scratch what itches.

Find a vantage point where you can glass a ton of country, and glass, glass, and glass. Once you find a bull you want a closer look at, start your stalk.

Wasatch Bow Hunter, PM sent.
Everybody, thanks for the advice. It's been helpful.

Wow, I just checked the UDWR site and the early rifle hunt dates are especially early this year. I have an early elk tag for another state and it goes from Sept 18 to Sept 29th and I hope these dates fall perfectly into the rut.

Good luck to all!!

Your dates are better than the Utah rifle dates for sure!
The Utah muzzleloader LE elk hunt is just right this year.
We'll all have a great time regardless of the dates because we're HUNTING!
Have a great season guys!
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom