tag numbers?

It seem like it's too late to do us any good now!

It would be nice to have a projection, at least, before the application deadline, especially for the new hunts. It will certainly make a huge difference this year but everything we did had to be a guess.

I don't have the answer for you but someone smarter than me might.

Zeke

If I remember right they come out usually around mid April or so. O am with Zeke at least a projection would be nice.

All I really care about as a non-resident is whether there is one tag or two for some hard to draw hunts. With lots of points, it would be nice to know if there was a bonus tag available so odds might be better.

The antlerless tag numbers come out May 28th. So they need the numbers for for the antlerless draw. So we should see them around that time.

>All I really care about as
>a non-resident is whether there
>is one tag or two
>for some hard to draw
>hunts.

Makes it tough to keep applying for those units that have only 1 NR tag. You can have 20 points but if there is only one tag available, you are no better off than someone with 0.
Throw us a bone and have each unit get at least 2 NR tags.

The problem is the flippin banquet is taking those tags. There would be a lot more units with 2+ tags if they were not w-horing them out.

>The problem is the flippin banquet
>is taking those tags. There
>would be a lot more
>units with 2+ tags if
>they were not w-horing them
>out.

+1

>All I really care about as
>a non-resident is whether there
>is one tag or two
>for some hard to draw
>hunts. With lots of points,
>it would be nice to
>know if there was a
>bonus tag available so odds
>might be better.

Nonresidents get the raw deal by not having the tag numbers available before the application deadline. This is exacerbated by the low tag numbers and the F&G propensity for odd tag numbers which screws up the bonus pool. Sorry!

Zeke

All unit permit recomendation numbers will be out with
the April RAC shop packet for the meetings...........

Probbly next week.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Goofy knows what he's talking about. The numbers will be out in a couple weeks, in April.

Not early enough to help anyone with their applications, but just enough time to decide what your real odds are of drawing a tag for the units you put in for... Lousy way to do it.

Also, I have to agree. I think there should be 2+ NR tags for each unit and each hunt. That way there is always a bonus tag. I believe the auctioning of tags affects NRs more than us "lucky" residents.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I get them having to gather and process data and getting it through the quota setting. But it would be better if the application due date was after the tag numbers are published. Moving the due date later shouldn't hold things up too much with computerized applications.

I agree Elmer Fudd. The truth is, if a deadline is set at 11:59pm on March 5th to have all applications in, they could run the draw in about .05 seconds as soon as the clock strikes 12:00am. :) I mean, its 2015 and computers are pretty quick these days. :)

There's no reason I can see why they come out with tag numbers after the draw is closed unless they use the tag applications as part of their determination on the number of tags allotted. We are repeatedly told they DO NOT do that, so, why the weird schedule..??

If they can't get tag numbers locked in until April, then don't have the draw end in March. Heck, don't even have it start until the tag numbers are in.

I don't get it apparently.

>Also, I have to agree. I
>think there should be 2+
>NR tags for each unit
>and each hunt. That way
>there is always a bonus
>tag. I believe the auctioning
>of tags affects NRs more
>than us "lucky" residents.

I'm at 18 pts for LE deer and an interest in the Henries muzzy and archery hunts, without a second tag for these hunts there's almost no chance of me drawing one eventually. If something doesn't change I'll have to switch over to the rifle hunt in 10 years so I can at least draw a tag before I'm too old to hunt.

>I agree Elmer Fudd. The truth
>is, if a deadline is
>set at 11:59pm on March
>5th to have all applications
>in, they could run the
>draw in about .05 seconds
>as soon as the clock
>strikes 12:00am. :) I mean,
>its 2015 and computers are
>pretty quick these days. :)
>
>
>There's no reason I can see
>why they come out with
>tag numbers after the draw
>is closed unless they use
>the tag applications as part
>of their determination on the
>number of tags allotted. We
>are repeatedly told they DO
>NOT do that, so, why
>the weird schedule..??
>
>If they can't get tag numbers
>locked in until April, then
>don't have the draw end
>in March. Heck, don't even
>have it start until the
>tag numbers are in.
>
>I don't get it apparently.
>
>"Therefore, wo be unto him that
>is at ease in Zion!"
>2 Ne. 28: 24

Per a conversation I had a few years ago with Jim Karpowitz, they have this weird schedule because the DWR wants to be one of the first ones vying for the western sportmens' hunting money! They figure the sooner they get it, the more they will get.

Secondly, now that we are managing the deer unit by unit, it's even more important to get the population and buck to doe ratios correct so we can also manage the hunters unit by unit.

Thirdly, the current contract with the Fallon Nevada drawing company states that they are only required to conduct the drawing by Monday, May 11th, so I guess that's what they do.

Finally, the permit numbers have to be approved by the Wildlife Board to be issued. And that means the DWR recommendations have to go through the RACs first where we are allowed to disregard their recommendations, the 5 year statewide deer plan, biology and common sense and change those recommendation numbers any way we want. :)

Thanks for the info elkfromabove..!! I really appreciate your insight.

My recommendation to the DWR would have been to wait until animal numbers are accurately documented, approved by the RACs and THEN have the draw open (with tag numbers listed). Our deadline would be May 10th, and the gambling establishment in Nevada would run the draw and we would have the results the next day.

But as you pointed out, their earlier application period is driven by a hope for more money.

Also... "And that means the DWR recommendations have to go through the RACs first where we are allowed to disregard their recommendations, the 5 year statewide deer plan, biology and common sense and change those recommendation numbers any way we want."

LOL

Again, The F&G has a knack of only giving 1 tag or odd # tags and this really hurts our NR friends.

If the F&G only want to give 1 tag for a weapon and species maybe they could/should give ie: 2 muzzleloader tags and 0 archery tags one year and 2 archery tags and 0 muzzleloader tags the next. That way there would always be a bonus tag issued and those loyal applicants would have some reward with increased odds and reduce the logjam at the top.

Think about that and see if you think it sounds more "fair".
With that said, there will always be tags that we want to draw but will never be able to do so because the demand outstrips the supply!

Good luck,
Zeke

I think UDWR should simply provide two tags each for the NR muzzy and archery hunts. The one additional tag per hunt is not going to harm the deer population down there and it allows one tag to go into the random draw and another to go into the preference draw. By doing that I could almost be guaranteed to draw in the next 10 years.

Heffe,

Those are the proposed numbers that were in the April RAC packet. The board usually approves the hunt numbers without very much discussion.

Good luck in the draws.

Dillon
www.dillonhoyt.com

Heffe. The answer is, yes, they kind of are during the rut. But as we all know, the rut seems to fluctuate a little.

These ML hunts are a better bet for a "rut hunt" than the regular rifle hunt is at least... If they were even one week later though, they'd definitely be a rut hunt.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom