Takin the West for granted

P

patience

I've got to confess to you guys: I have taken the West for granted. I moved from Boise to South Carolina this past June and will be here till April/May of 07' and I am having withdrawls.

I have always been an active outdoors man going out hiking at least 2 times a week with my dog. Shed hunting, scouting, hunting, wildlife viewing. I do most of those things everytime I'm out there.

Don't get me wrong the islands down here are pretty as hell, but nothing in my opinion compares to smell of wet sage in the morning, watching the first rays of sunlight hit ridge across the canyon your sitting on or taking that first big breath of cold mountain air.

I have even had dreams of where I'll be shed hunting the next morning only to wake up and realize the closest muley sheds are 2,000 miles away in western Texas or Kansas, still another 1000 miles or more to Idaho. I have to admit I will never move east of the Rockies after I get back to Idaho.

How do you guys feel about the west and what are some of your favorite things about living out here?

I hear ya. I went to Basic Training in South Carolina, then to Texas (not a western state), then Germany, and it took me 6 years to get back out west.

Of course the women in Europe made passing the time a little easier. They're a little more adventurous than our American girls ;-)

Couldn't get me to live back East though!

Each morning and evening whenever it's possible I try to take at least a second and watch the sunrise and sunsets. At those times I think about how lucky we are to live here and have all the things we have right at our finger tips.

We really are VERY lucky...

NvrEnuf

>Don't get me wrong the islands
>down here are pretty as
>hell, but nothing in my
>opinion compares to smell of
>wet sage in the morning,
>watching the first rays of
>sunlight hit ridge across the
>canyon your sitting on or
>taking that first big breath
>of cold mountain air.

Yep. Ditto all that. I lived in Missouri for 2 years and couldn't stand it. There was just nowhere to go roam freely unless it was a state park or rec area. Not the same. And I give sole credit to our beautiful mountains and that fresh mountain air for luring my husband back here to live. He will never leave these mountains behind again either.

I really know how you feel. I had a terrible longing and an ache I'd never known before knowing my beloved sagebrush flats and pine covered mountains were a thousand miles away. I just cut some fresh sagebrush to make wedding decorations for my little bro's wedding. Want me to send you some? lol ;-)

Jenn

Maybe you just never met the RIGHT American girl. ;-)

>Of course the women in Europe
>made passing the time a
>little easier. They're a little
>more adventurous than our American
>girls ;-)

yeah i hear ya, from 99-04 i was in the marines in cali/iraq, 04-05 i was in idaho, met my wife married her, back to army 05 got stationed in colorado, in may came back to iraq next month on my way home...oct 07 back to iraq for a year trust me i know

I have lived in Florida and currently in Texas - they are nice but they ain't home. There is not a day goes by that I don't miss the mountains and the cool evening breeze. It is great to go play on the beach at South Padre on New Year's Day - but it doesn't beat Thanksgiving in the Bookcliffs.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

My wife want's to move from the center of the Colorado rockies to the midwest. For family. I told her to have them move here! Pretty simple I thought. I'll miss her when she goes.....I ain't ever leaving, period. I caught a 18" german brown on my lunch hour! She must be nuts to want to move!

JJ

I moved from my front porch, which is in a river bottom, to my couch inside, and I just started outside the rest of the night!! I am never gonna leave this place, I live in NE Oregon, and am within minutes of salmon/steelhead/trout and white tails/muleys/elk and some good upland game too!! I am very thankful I live where I live........ and cant wait to take my daughters hunting/fishing/shed hunting/hiking/camping!!!!

I grew up in Florida for the first 30 years of my life. My Dad who is a Florida native, had come out West where he met my mother a Wyoming native, and took her to Florida. While I was growing up we made several trips to Wyoming and Montana to visit my mothers side of the family and I fell in love with the West. I moved to North East Nevada at 30 and now I'm 43. I got into horses and spend every minute I can in the mountains. People in the West do not realize the freedoms that they have out in this desolate country. When I lived in Florida it was a big deal just to go pay a fee to go shoot your rifle at a rifle range. Camping was always in designated camping places in Parks. And you can't go out your back door and take a whiz outside. I know that many of you do not like the BLM but to me its the greatest thing on earth. When all the land is privately owned you cannot use it unless you are related to the land owner or you have lots of money. The West is where its at and I'm here to stay.
Of course there are a few things that I miss about Florida. Like for instance, bass fishing, the great food, serious water skiing, and FLORIDA WOMEN. But Western Women are pretty darn great themselves. fatrooster.

I have lived in NM for 14 years and never consider living anywhere east of here. If and when I ever move it will be North and West. Things to love:
1) Being able to see landscapes with nothing but nature
2) Huge skies
3) Having enough land to get lost on
4) $89.00 Bull elk tags
5) LOTS of Forest service roads.
6) 330 days of sunshine a year
7) Clear air and clear streams
8) Being able to go and cut firewood on public land
9) Peeing in my backyard

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom