Talk me out of a Monster!

dang302

Ok, somebody really needs to talk me out of getting a Mathews monster. I need a new bow because I just drew the NM ibex tag. And I might as well get something really awesome (of which there are of course many options).

I just can't seem to get over the fact that if I am going to spend a thousand bucks on a new badass bow, I might as well get the fastest thing out there.

For some reason I keep telling myself that it will shoot very well...Can this be true?...or should I get something a little more forgiving.

My current bow is a 8 year old PSE package deal that was less than $300. Great bow, but no comparison to the things they are making these days.

No amount of info given here can replace you going and shooting as many bows as you can. Doesn't matter if everyone on thise site recommends one bow, if it doesn't feel good for you, it won't matter. When you find a few you like, start asking opinions.

You don't need to spend a grand on a bow to get a good one, but if you must, you could also look into the PSE Omen, its also extremely fast.

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

I haven't ever been in an archery shop that had much of a selection of things to shoot so I am not holding out any hope of being able to shoot a top of the line bow prior to buying it. I will get out there and try as many as I can find though.

I also doubt that anyone in my shoes could go pick up a high quality current manufactured bow and not like it.

How come they don't make everything in an 80lb version?

I am fat and weak and worthless and 70lbs is almost a joke. I could easily work up to an 80lb bow.

LAST EDITED ON May-05-12 AT 08:53AM (MST)[p]I don't know where you are located, but The Bow Shop in Nephi has the 2012 Prime bows, and let me shoot one prior to purchasing

}}-SLIVER-->

Do you have a scheels near you? They usually carry mathews, hoyt and PSE. If you really want fast then go with the omen pro from PSE. You can get it in 80lbs. Just try one and see how it feels because I would say don't spend a 1000 dollars on a bow blind.

Do try and shoot them first, also you might wan't to check the classifides over on archery talk. A ton of bows are cycled through there daily. I just picked up a Mathews Heli-m off a member there for 675.00 shipped.

Richard

A Mathews monster is just about the best bow out there it super fast and just an awesome bow. I would also look at the heli-m though its super light forgiving solid backwall and smooth!! The Mathews z7 magnum is also a good bow! Go try any Mathews out and you will love it!

I have wanted a Monster since I shot one, I am waiting until I get through with college to get one.
WVBOWAK

Be sure and give the Bowtech Insanity a try...just bought one a month ago and i cannot put the darn thing down...super fast

Thanks guys,

I appreciate the responses. I will do my best to shoot as many of these things as possible whenever I get to town next (ABQ). I was just in phoenix a month ago and I wish I would have done some looking while there. This is a new itch. I have been good with a bow at times, but really only hunt with it when I have to (its usually my 3rd choice on applications...just so I do get a tag). The reason for looking at the high end bows is because I have a bow that I can use now and only want to buy a new one if it is a serious upgrade.

This is for the NM Ibex hunt this year and I want as much speed as possible, because it will be a very difficult hunt and shots can be at extreme angles and unkown distances and long distances, etc. I want as much forgiveness as possible for range estimation. Even If I limit myself to say 60 yards, this should make hits much easier than my current bow (which has separate pins for 40, 45 and 50 yards). Its dropping like a rock out there. I know all bows start dropping fast out there, but minimizing it seems wise. I can shoot a light and fast arrow because these things are small animals.

LAST EDITED ON May-07-12 AT 01:00PM (MST)[p]You don't need to worry about speed with any of today's bows. I shoot an AM35 at 285 fps and have shot things much farther than 60 yards away and had nothing but good results. Not saying I don't like speed but get a 60 speed bow and you will have a easy drawing bow that still delivers great results. I really want to get the new vector turbo from hoyt and do just what I mentioned, buy 60 or 65 lb limbs and still get far more speed than my 70 lb AM.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

You are not going to go wrong with any of the top end bows. They are just all very good.
Shoot several and make a choice.
I am personally fond of Hoyt, but I have a great Hoyt shop near by.

Shoot them, and feel comfortable with the support you are going to get, then buy one.

Good luck!

Mike

Most of the bows are fast. From what you desribed to me is a hoyt vector turbo, Insanity, Pse Ds Evo and a mathews MR7 or 6. Most bows are fast and 6" Bh bows are more common and just as forgiving. You really need to shoot a bunch though!

Get whatever bow makes you happy I would just recommend saving yourself 3 or 4 hundred dollars and buying a 1 year old model. If you've never checked out the classifieds on Archerytalk.com I would take a look.
Congrats on the tag!

Buying a bow because it's the fastest out there is going about it all wrong. Buy a bow because it feels the best in your hands. End of story.

+1 BigPig.

Some people get too caught up in the numbers and not in what really matters, which is how it performs while you are holding it.

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

>Buying a bow because it's the
>fastest out there is going
>about it all wrong.
>Buy a bow because it
>feels the best in your
>hands. End of story.
>

Yes, most bows are plenty fast and if you buy on speed it can be a bad decision but I got a omen pro to have along with my evo is because I wanted better performance and I am very used to their bows and like the feel.

I've got a MR7 and a MR6. I honestly shoot the MR6 better I believe, but they are both good bows. I'm shooting a 420gr arrow at 305 fps with only 66# of draw weight with the MR6. The draw length of that bow is about 29.5", but has the 29" modules installed.

>MrKrabs
>
>Did you ever shoot the MR5?
>

Yeah I've shot it and didn't really care for it. It's a little faster than the MR6, but for me it doesn't shoot as well. I think the MR6 has a good blend of speed, forgiveness, and accuracy.

"Even If I limit myself to say 60 yards"

Congratulations on getting a tag for Ibex! Was there last year and it was the best hunt I have ever been on! Oh, and you might want to start polishing up on your 100yd pin- LOL

Oh, and you might
>want to start polishing up
>on your 100yd pin- LOL
>

No doubt...but I didn't want to stir up that debate!...I am excited too cause they are a really neat animial. I was up there about 15 years ago with my dad back when he was drawing qualifying tags (two years in a row). That was a tag for 2 female/immatures, and if you got them you could take them to game and fish and they would give you an either sex tag. He shot three one year and didn't even hunt the next!... I was pissed. Now there is no chance in hell of getting a tag down there...unless you bow hunt, and even that has taken me several years to draw and from what I hear all the outfitters have made a mess of things by chasing and trying to herd animals all over the mountain while your trying to hunt.

Really fun animal to get to see though and I think there are so many now that they are pretty easy to find.

I don't expect to harvest necessarily, but it will be fun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom