Taxidermy Question

LoveBigRacks

Ran into a small problem while trying to get a black bear hide tanned, am hoping someone can help. I harvested him up in Juneau in the spring, salted the hide heavily each day until I was able to get him into a freezer (three days). He was sent off to the tannery frozen a few days later. I just got word from the tannery that they could tan the hide because of excessive hair slippage. This is the first hide I have sent to be tanned, and my first bear. I'd like to know what I can do now to preserve the hide, if anything. It might be too late but I'd like to be able to keep it for years to come. Appreciate any input.

LBR

If you salt a hide, DON'T freeze it. If you are going to freeze it fold it flesh to flesh, fold it up and keep it cool till you can freeze it. It should last at least a week in an ice chest with ice before freezing.

JB

I guess that explains my first mistake, I salted it and then folded it flesh to flesh before placing in the freezer. Lesson learned. Anything I can do to salvage it at this point?

LBR

Was the bear fleshed before freezing? If the bear wasn't packaged properly for freezer storage it may have freezer burnt and fleshing on some areas were impossible.. Also sometimes when a pelt is rolled up and froze, the center doesn't get a chance to freeze and starts to rot because of the great insulating qualities of fur.. In the future do this..
1. Flesh the bear of major meat and fat.
2. Wash dirty, bloody spots with cold water.
3. Dry the fur and salt the hide until all moisture is removed and pelt is hard.

Or, if you don't feel comfortable with that.

1. Remove major portions of meat and fat.
2. Cool all parts of the pelt in freezer..
3. Roll pelt flesh to flesh when all cool, fur out and wrap with towel.
4. Double bag with air removed and freeze until pelt can be fleshed and salted properly.

This should help you out in the future..

Jer

This is pretty good advice. The only thing I wouldn't do is the washing in cold water. Water always helps promote the growth of bacteria, which is what causes slippage. I always wash after salting, before I tan. The tannery will wash for you. If ther is and excessive amount of blood, use rubbing alcohol to remove it. It takes the blood off, evaporated quickly, and will not cause any bacteria to form. But always salt until completely dry before sending to the tannery. As long as the dried hide is left in a cool, dry area, it can keep for years until you are ready for the tannery.

I wonder, did you skin the skull, turn the ears, turn and flesh the lips, or flesh around the eyes? I think you realized your mistake so about the only thing you can do now is maybe tan the leather, or pitch it.
"SEMPER FIDELIS"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom