Taxidermy Suggetions for Big Bull?

Hazmat

I just got the call that the taxidermist is ready to get going on my 2007 bull. Now I have to make a big decision. My bull is pretty big and I have been told that it is difficult to get enough offset from the wall to make a big bull look good. I hate some of the Cabela's bulls mounts that seem to be staring at the ground below.

I'm thinking about a semi-sneak with a slight left hand turn. The bull has 56 inch main beams and 57 inch outside spread (45") inside.

You guys have lots of experience with taxidermy and what looks good. Please give me any suggestions you have. I'll probably never get another bull like this one so I'd like to do it right. Thanks in advance for the help.

Here's a pic of my bull.

47f30917664985af.jpg

47f309a06a710165.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-08 AT 11:40PM (MST)[p]I don't foresee a semi-sneak form working with that rack, unless the head is tipped down a lot. I would go with a fullsneak, McKenzie AC series.

Thats a tough question Hazmat. Thats why I don't kill big critters. Congrats on an awesome bull.........

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-08 AT 06:28AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-08 AT 06:19 AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-08 AT 06:17 AM (MST)

You could always add on to your house, lol! You have a problem I only wish I had. The pedestal mount as mentioned might not be a bad way to go???
If you have kids around though you might want to keep it out of reach.
(I can't spell today)

GO TAR HEELS

Very nice bull! Talk with your taxidermist. He will know how much room you will have. I would go with the semi sneak. You want to keep the head up as much as possible. I have one similar and my taxi was able to keep the head up just enought to give me about an inch of clearance between the wall and the antlers. Hatrick

AIN'T NO DOUBT!!!

THATS A BIG STINKY SOB!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Thanks for your suggestions. I have considered a pedestal mount, but with 5 kids I'm afraid of what might happen. My wife really likes the idea of building onto the house, but that's a few years down the road. Taxi says that a sneak/semi-sneak with a slight turn will do it. I caped him back to the middle of his belly, so I have plenty of hide to work with.

I just wanted some opinions from people who have seen a lot of mounts and aren't afraid to share their opinion. Thanks. If you have pics of mounts you like, I'd love to see them. Thanks.

If you cant do the pedestal, I would go with a 90 degree it is my favorite wall mount. Because you would see it from the side it would show off the mass and tine length of your bull, alot better than a slight turn would.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-08 AT 08:36AM (MST)[p]They make a form for bulls with longer beams that will allow them to be shoulder mounts and on the wall. The form is very very nice IMO. I have a pic I will have to find of a friends mount with that form. I personally think its the best elk form out there and compairs to the pedestal.

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

I have mounted a lot of bulls on semi-sneaks, and the majority of bulls 300+, had to have the head cut off, and tipped down. Just depends on the bull, and the pitch of their main beam.

You want a lot of mounting options? Shoot a ragbull, LOL.

Congrats to you on a great bull! Personally I'd get a pedestal mount with a slight turn to either side with the bull flemming or bugling. I think that would realy show the spread and tine length.
-Raptor

Here is the pic.. the form adds a little more shoulder and some off set for tine clearence. This bull is a dandy and has some long beams. I have some different angles on another computer. The mount was done by Paul Pennie.

47f3b08b0fc41ed3.jpg

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

Awsome bull hasmat! I would vote for 90 degree turn or pedestal mount. I think a 90 degree they may have to add more to the back of the for with the width your bull has. We need to see the pictures after the mount please.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-08 AT 01:48PM (MST)[p]Hey Birdbuster, I can help you with that...as a matter of fact I think you're going to have a hard time keeping me away. Two more weeks and you'll know for sure. Yee Haw!

I would do a pedastal mount of coice. If you have no room for pedastal on the ground use the method in pic.. Then you always have the option to put it on a pedastal. Plus the advantage to this bracket is you can turn the mount every so often to give you a dirrent look. The picture doesn't show it well but the bracet sticks out off the wall a ways then turns up into pedastal sleeve(round), and swivels allowing room for mounts that would generally hit the wall.

jessyelk.jpg

Utah, of course. I have to brag since we finally have something good going. But the DWR just boosted the number of tags so who knows what that will do to the quality.

Thanks for all the nice words.

Haz,

My bull is on a pedestal and my wife's is on the type of form Browtine has posted. If you want it on the wall go that route. Pedestal will go anywhere if you have room. Send me an email and I can attach a mounted picture if you want?

Dandy bull for sure!;-)

Wow I bet that thing was heavy. Hope you shot him close to the road. Great Bull

Jason,

You asked me some more questions, but I do not have both emails still. If you could send me an email with your new email and wife's email, I will do my best to get answers for you regarding the form. Browtine may even know who makes those forms that Paul Pennie uses?

Good luck on your choice. You definitely have a great bull that deserves your detailed attention!;-)

I have been looking into the same thing for my arizona tag. I Finally have it narrowed down to two taxidermists and one mount with my own modifications, including some prickly pear cactus and manzanita, considering where i will be hunting. That and it just seems like somthing ive never seen before. this is the closest to what i want that i have found.

47f66d2d066b2fb3.jpg

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -- Abraham Lincoln

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom