The Expo and a Little Math

grizzmoose

Very Active Member
Hi Guys,

With the release of the expo odds, I thought Id try to put some perspective on what the odds mean. Before I do that, let me state that I am not a statistical expert, though the statistics in this case are fairly simple. I only looked at the deer and elk odds considering that they are the most popular species.

The deer tag with the best chance of winning is a Book Cliffs Archery tag, which is .16%

The elk tag with the best chance of winning is the Central Nebo Muzz hunt at .24%.

The average chance of winning a deer tag is .09% or 1 in 1175.
The average chance of winning an elk tag is also .09 or 1 in 1175.

Now here are some more interesting statistics. We all know that there has been a history of people winning a tag in consecutive years. I also recall a person who won both a deer tag and an elk tag in the same year. People in here kept saying how statistically impossible that is. Say a person wins the "easiest" deer and elk tag in the same year. That chances of that happening are .00039 percent possible. That equals 1 out of about 258000.

The average chance of getting a consecutive deer and/or elk tags is about 1 out of 1,184,000.

And just to make it fun, the following things are more likely to happen to you than drawing consecutive deer and/or elk tags:

Becoming a pro athlete
Getting a royal flush in the first 5 cards
Dying from a terrorist attack
Dying in an airplane crash
Getting injured on a toilet
Your kid dying in a car wreck
Being declared dead by a Social Security data mistake
Being murdered
Dying in a plane crash
Dying from an asteroid hitting the earth in the next 100 years

Hope you enjoyed the read.

(P.S. I actually do have somewhat of a life.)

>So are you saying I have
>to experience all the things
>you listed before I draw
>my dang expo tag?

No, not at all. You can omit several of the items if you choose one of the death stats first.

Didn't one guy draw the Henry's Deer and Beaver Elk in the same year? And another guy on the SFW board draw an elk tag one year and a Desert Sheep tag the next?

Grizzly

I've heard the expression "The lottery is a tax on those who flunked math".

Seems these raffles are following suit.

In the words of Jim Carey; "so your saying I have a chance!!!!!!"

Good read, thanks for putting it in perspective.

It really does happen. I drew back to back Expo tags 2008 and 2009. Manti Early Elk and Beaver Early Elk.

Ok, explain it to me. I know you have to be there in person to purchase a "chance". Can each person only buy one chance per tag or can you put all your money in one hopper and buy lots of chances on one hunt.

I realize the odds are long, but freaky things happen every day. I watched a guy win 5 rifles in a 20 rifle raffle in which he bought only 3 chances. However, you name gets put back in the hopper even after you draw so he still had a chance. This was a drum with 300 cards, his card was put back in the hopper, mixed with other cards and then spun 10 times between draws.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom