The Huntin Fool membership

S

skiner1

Is there any members out there that can tell me whether or not its worth the 100 bucks to join this?

I'd say that its worth it. It saves me lots of time by not having to go to each states website to find out draw odds, amount of tags available and harvest data. It also makes you have a better chance to get cancellation hunts and other stuff. I know some guys will say that they have ruined some of their honey holes by providing people with information. You can't have it both ways.

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

I've ben a member for years, it's worth it to me. there is some good information and it keeps me up to speed on getting applied and new changes.

The most valuble thing is knowing their top picks, then you know what 75% of the rest of the guys are going for since about every out of state hunter is a member it seems.

Am I the only one wonders every two weeks when I get a membership drive pile of junk in the mail if I'm crazy? how many members can you have getting the same " secret " information before it's not a secret anymore? I wonder how stupid they think we are, then I sign up again so I guess that answers it.

Best magazine out there.

It started being better than the Eastman's magazine about 3 years ago.

If you hunt out of state definitely worth $100. If you do not it is just an expensive western states hunting magazine.

The primary people there are very accessible. I have been thinking about getting a new rifle and have been getting input from a lot of people.

I called Jason and spent about 20 minutes talking to him about it.

440 and fatrooster are right on the money...if you are applying out of state and playing the preference/bonus point game you cant afford to not know what the huntin fool "top picks" are.

they have a huge following nowdays and the top picks swing the odds in some cases...it is worth the money to have it in your arsenal IMO.

It sure would be nice if they changed the text for their picks every decade or so.

"Great unit, 350 bulls possible, scout hard" gets old after about 10 years.

Huntin Fool is worth the money but Eastmans MRS is laid out better and has more info.

You need all of them if you're serious.

Remember!!!

What Garth says is Gospel!

Read it like your Bible!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

It is to repetitious year in---year out.

I can grab a January 2007 mag out of my file cabinet and it says the same dang thing about Wyo and Az. as it will in the 2011 Jan issue.

I did not renew my sub.----2009.

+1 for Eastmans Journal (s).

Robb

I agree with PleaseDear.

I started signing up every other year becasue the info doesn't change. Plus, I have a problem with any company that treats their new customers better than their existing customers.

I have never been a member, but have buddies and family members who have. They let me read their magazines. The things I noticed about it is that the info rarely changes year to year. The top 5 is always the top 5, maybe the order changes a little. I also feel like they a few years behind on their picks for top units. If they updated the info more I think it would be worth it. Plus the resource of having past hunters to contact is really good.

WYmoose

No one can possibly have the scoop on all the states and all the units within each state. It has to just be info they gather from their subscribers and what is available via the internet to everyone. It may be nice that it is all packaged up together and delivered to you in a magazine however. It is more useful in showing you where not to apply since the masses will follow their suggestions for where to apply.

To me it has the best hunting articles out there, there are less advertisements and you can make some good contacts if you draw a tag. It should be a start for anyone not the holy grail to apply everywhere they say to. When I get it in the mail, I sit down, read it cover to cover and admire some great animals that have been taken last season. To each his own I guess,

Rich

Was a member way back in the day when his newsletter was on paper and didn't have any photos. After several years of the same info, I dropped my subscription.

The only useful information contained in it now, is where not to apply. The top picks will be flooded with applicants.

Five minutes of research and a few PM's on Monstermuleys will gain you better information.

Just say no to being a Huntin Tool.

Not sure if you decided to buy or not, but, if you hunt out of state it is one of the cheapest resources out there.

As expensive as out of state hunting is you would be a fool not to invest $100 at least the first year to find out if the info will benefit you. If you are debating spending that $100 then most likely you are not in the financial position to hunt out of state at this point of your life or it is not that important to you.

Those that tell you the info is the same every year obviously have not read the magazine. First, several states change how they draw, dates of hunts, management strategies, and these are all updated every year.

Obviously you do not put in for the #1 picks unless you have max points or you really do not want to draw. This is all part of your personal strategy. You must be able to use your brain.

You digest the information and then make your own decisions. If you think you will find anyone to do your thinking for you for $100 or $1000 you are not in touch with reality.
They are a resource that will send you the MOST COMPREHENSIVE MAGAZINE and will be available for questions over the phone if you have them, and lastly get you in touch with those that have drawn that tag previously.
If that is not good enough for you for $100 then you have unreasonable expectations.

Hunting is a bit of a competition. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but, after I read some of these comments I can see how I have had some success.

Jason and Garth, do not forget to send my check that you promised me.

all changes in managment strategies and drawing changes are easy to find on the specific states web site or in the proclamation. I haven't read a hunting fool in years, but lets see how good I can guess, Area 61 elk in colo " lots and lots of bulls, mostly in the 300 range, afew 320 plus, Pahvant elk in ut " continues to produce a few huge bulls, one of the best for a monster" Area 31 elk in wy " great hunt, lots of elk, easy access, mostly 300 point bulls" area 10 archery in az " huge area, one of the best in the state for a 400 point bull" anyway Pm me, so you can send me 50 $ and I will give you some great info, and all the top picks, in the top areas, in the top western states, and rememember , apply, apply, and apply

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-10 AT 01:28PM (MST)[p]

If you can only afford one, get a copy of the 2010 January issue from each and read their Wyoming assessment. See how they explain the draw process and the different licenses available. Subscribe to the one that makes the most sense to you. It seems that Wyoming is the hardest process for a NR to grasp.

I wouldn't send them $100. if they knew exactly where the last decent deer on the continent was!

I suppose it might be money well spent for some that already haven't been doing it on their own or don't already have lots of buds that have gone outa state for many years and who are willing to help each other. Latest trends? Who needs them. Think for yourself or know who to ask! Also, think ahead of any trend. By the time you get the latest trend from a mag, you might be better returning to a tried and true old area that you already know really well and hunt the country you never got to.

I read several of the mags from time to time including the Fool. I won't pay for any of the rags out there except on occation as they get passed around. I'm not too tight with the coin, i just have to save what little extra i get in so i can go hunting. Network, give and take, having been there or having friends that have been there, has worked for me and my buds for many successful years, long before the hunting fool, Eastmans, or any but the oldest!

While on this semi rant, what's the matter with using current info from the members of Monstermuleys? PM's? We come here most days, develop friendships, follow guys hunts, and lots of times there is great info to be had long before it hits any rag. I myself have been helped and have helped several groups of guys to areas that they had great hunts in with trophy bucks taken.

Also, what's the big deal of getting your story and pic's in a hunting mag? I just don't see it! We come here, BS, gather info, give each other a hard time about our bucks, hunts, or mistakes...but when it comes to finally getting a big buck "worthy enough", we say screw this place, i'm gonna be put in this mag or that mag with my story and pic's!! I can't figure it! If i kill a monster buck, i'm bringing it here, right here to the guys i feel that i know, who i have shared with and they have shared with me. I'd rather share my pic's and hunt even with guys i've had a hard time with than take it to a rag first.

As much as i could use a top dollar set of bino's or such, i'm not selling out my buds for some impersonal rag readership that they sell for money so that they can go on even more high dollar hunts! I think some of you guys are selling MM short. IMO, It's every bit as prestigious, if that's what you're looking for, a place to share your stuff as some hunting rag. That's just me, i'm just saying...

Joey

coming from Georgia it is worth it for me. hell, it's worth it to see the pictures and read the stories of others success. i love it. like i have said before if your one of the winners of the raffle i doubt you would say anything bad!

Huntin fool, Eastmans, MM, State Bio's, Game Wardens, and ect. are all resources. Some cost more than others. I chose to use them all. I've been a member of the huntin fool since November 04. Have every issue since then still, except the august 06 issue that burned on my kitchen stove.

I've been a member for 7 years or so and while I don't necessarily need the info in it as much as I did the first year I got it, it quite simply is the best hunting magazine out there. The stories are the best, the few ads they have are for good quality gear, and their staff and guest articles are the best. IMO, you cannot beat the Huntin Fool as far as hunting mags go. Eastman?s doesn't even hold a candle to HF. To top it off, as a member you can call their office and get advice. $100 is a bargain IMO.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

I like the magazine. I have called a few times, ask a few questions and they have been very helpful. I don't see why people care if you subscribe or not.

Great Pic's and stories, and good information on new regulations for states.

BTW Joey, I haven't submitted any stories to them. My hunting stories are on MM lol...

I subscribe every year but the areas they post as the best spots are always the best spots year after year. So, when you buy there magazine year after year you see the same areas and the same info about them. Most of these areas take lots of points to obtain and really only useful to a few. What they need to do is post areas that don't take a ton of points to obtain and also talk about some of the general areas that the majority can hunt. With all their experiences, this shouldn't be a problem. Make it more user friendly.

I've been a member for a couple year, but I probably won't renew because currently the $100 price tag is a little steep for my budget. With that said, the magazine is worth it if you have 100 laying around. The stories and pictures are top-notch. The information is good. Sometimes the unit information seems a bit redundant, but that is reality...The Henries are and will continue to be the "Best hunt in the state" for years. Huntin Fool do their best at being the best magazine and I think they do a great job at it.

I think they could mix it up a bit with some new area information, such as area that don't take as many points,etc..

They do kill some big animals.

My .02

Even if you hate HF and the Carters you are doing yourself a disservice by not knowning what there top picks are before you apply. As it has been said, your first choice will be greatly dilluted if it so happens to be the same unit listed as the HF top choice.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom