Thirtythree Mile Rd. Deer Unit 34

NoDoe

Can anyone tell me if the Thirtythree Mile Rd. is good enough for a house trailer in wet weather. I plan on taking the 125 rd. to it.
Thanks Don

It won't be fun trying as that soil/mud is like a bucket of slippery snot, you could wind up in the ditch and further over to the west would be the worst if memory serves me correct. We were there in Oct 2008.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I wouldn't go up 125 any further than about 2-3 miles and camp in the first good spot on the BLM there that you can find. From there on for the hunt, I'd have chains for all four wheels of a good PU, as all the roads are a witch with the slightest bit of moisture. Even getting stuck in a PU wouldn't be the nightmare it would be if you had a trailer up in there.

Thanks guys, advice taken. My plan is to camp as close to the north-western corner of the unit as I can and still get out when the time comes. Do you think the 104 rd. would be a better idea?
Don

Definitely! However, you are talking going into the boonies no matter which roads you travel up into that unit on and I would not recommend anything other than a small popup, at most, behind a 4x4 with chains on all 4 wheels if the roads get wet. Also, take all the extra gas, water, and food you can carry in case weather hits before you can get out to the main highway. It sounds like you have never been close to that country, so please use your noggin and don't be a statistic. I hunt not that far northwest of there every year and you are talking about some wild a country, just as if you were in a wilderness area in the mountains. You can take 104 up through Arminto and then go straight onto 105 about where the Lost Cabin Road goes west. You can then take that all the way to CR 109 that goes NW or stay on 105 and it heads up to the NW of the Red Wall to CR 110. Going west on 110 is the northern boundary of the unit and it goes all the way over to Kidd Flat and the Hazelton Road that is your west boundary. The latter is the only N/S county road from up in the BigHorns at the main E/W highway down to where were talking about at Kidd Flat. You would think that in this day and age that it would at least be gravel, but it is just a bulldozed road. I've seen it where we have had to 4x4 out through the fields when it got wet and impassable in a lot of stretches. That whole part of the state basically shuts down when the first good snow hits because there is very little, if any, road maintainence from then until Spring. The ranchers up there watch the weather closely and either drive the cattle down to the lowlands or have semis come in and take the ones they want to market before they are stranded up there and lose them. Personally, if I was going up into where you are talking about, I would take a good wall tent or something similar that you can heat and not even try to get a trailer of any type up in there. Doing anything else is really risking it and asking to get stranded up in there. A deer isn't worth risking equipment or your life for IMHO.

NoDoe....when do you plan on going there to hunt for deer...dates wise? With luck on left over tags, my buddy and I will be north and east some from there in Oct.
What kind of vehicle will you be driving just in case you need help?

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

TOPGUN, Thanks for the heads up. You are right I have never been in unit 34.I have hunted unit 90 before. It's easy to get around with a gravel road through the middle. I am thinking now I might leave the trailer just north of Arminto and do some overnighters with the truck, atv and my small dome tent. I do have iron for both vehicles.
Thanks again, Don
kiowatt, I have a silver Chevy truck a green Yamaha atv and a Jay Flight trailer. If you see me say hello. I plan on getting there around the eleventh of Oct. That will give me time to hunt antelope and scout for deer.
Good Luck, Don

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-12 AT 09:30AM (MST)[p]I think you're on the right track with that last post Don. Play it by ear when you get out there. If the forecast is real good for a decent length of time you may be abe to go further in with everything you're taking. If the weather gets iffy, you still can do what you mentioned and take the truck or even the quad to get up into and out of where you're talking about in the NW corner. Just use a little common sense and check the weather forecast several times a day to be ahead of anything before it develops and you'll be okay.

definitely gets sloppy, quick! just watch the weather. camped on 33mile rd last year. we got alittle rain and snow but seemed to dry up with in a day or two. stay away from bighorn mt. rd it was very messy and rough.

8763310267.jpg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom