This one was satisfying

NMPaul

I went out solo this morning to one of the new places on public we had found this year.
Did not have my hunting buddys Zach and Kevin. I knew I could not hunt this weekend so I wanted to give it another try.
My last outing earlier in the week I saw no sheep.

Even though I had seen none, I really liked the spot and the mountain I had to climb to glass from gave me an awesome view.

Since I did not have my buddies with me I was carrying a pretty heavy pack already with the spotting scope, tripod, 15x binocs, bog pod, water and other junk.

I got on top at first glassing light and was seeing nothing again.

Then at 8:00 I spotted a herd almost 2 miles to the south. I put the spotting scope on them and saw that there were a couple decent rams in the group. Almost 2 hours later I was crawling the last 50 yards to put myself at about 260 yards.

Somehow I had broke the top of my bog pod, but, made it work.

First shot the ram went one way hit hard and the herd went the other. I sat and watched him lay down. He did not look like he was gonna die right away so I took 2 more shots missing one.

Here I am almost 3 miles from the truck with a fairly heavy pack already. I got some pictures using the timer, boned him out and loaded him up.
Long day, but, very happy to get this decent ram on public.

Look a little crazy cause there is only 10 seconds on the timer

Getting ready for the pack out.

That's awesome Paul!! Congratulations man, you worked hard for this one!

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

congrats I spent 4 days down in your country last week. I didnt see a single sheep, lots of deer and elk. Had alot of fun. Maybe next year?

He is 24". I thought he was a little bigger, but, I am happy with him.
Was thinking he would beat my 25"er from last year, but, judging Barbary is like judging oryx for me. I need a few inch margin for error on both.

Will be a good memory. I have really enjoyed barbary hunting this year.
Sitting on a mountain in the Desert watching the sun come up, seeing lots of deer and some great weather. Barbary hunting grows on you.

Congratulations!
Been there done that with the timer too!

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

Amazing.I haven't hunted barbary much but I know it's tough, you and your crew make it look easy (I know it's not) you guys are sheep killing machines.Awesome job, congrats.

Great job man...excellent photos!

you guys really gave them Barbers a good run this season...many congrats, and we've sure enjoyed the updates

anyway, cheers to your latest!

NMPaul.... Told you so!! Know doubt you that you would not be successful. Great job on a nice trophy!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Great job Paul. I wish I could have been there & I'm sure Zach feels the same way. I bet your back is hurting today! Congrats.--Kevin
A few better pics.

2011PaulsBarbary004.jpg

2011PaulsBarbary006.jpg

2011PaulsBarbary003.jpg

My 2 best hunting buds.

Zachsewe003.jpg

Congrats NMPaul! For some reason I can't see the pics but nevertheless, you, your son, and Khart are huntin machines and have the sheep (and everything else for that matter) figured out. Congrats to all of you on fine sheep and a great season! I know we all look forward to your next victory posts.

Good luck in the upcoming draws and good hunting!

Nice looking Ram
Looks like you have found another good spot.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

>Sitting on a mountain in the
>Desert watching the sun come
>up, seeing lots of deer
>and some great weather.
>Barbary hunting grows on you.
>

Agreed! Congratulations on the successfull hunt!

Josh

>well done again.
>
>You losing those love handles with
>all that hiking???

Hey, my love handles have love handles. I am the only guy I know that can gain weight during elk season.
Its a curse.
I keep trying to explain to Kevin and Zach that I am already carrying an extra 60lbs of fat so they should carry more of the gear.

Ha. I don't lose weight elk hunting either. Could be the trips to golden corral or the ice cream in the camper, not sure.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom