THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

drophorn

OK boys and girls here are the new proposed Tag fees from AZGF!!!!
Class A Deer Res 19.50 to 84.75
Class A Deer Nonres 125.50 to 662.75
Class A Elk Res 78.00 to 214.00
Class A Elk Nonres 400.00 to 1800.00
This just put my family out of the hunting game, the AZGF wants our input on this matter, so I hope that everybody that reads this will give them a call and let them know what this will do to the average joe. They say no more then 5% of the tags will go to a Class A, but if they do this what will they do next????

WOW! that is one heck of a hike in pricing.
dutch
" Man who excels at putting worm on hook is Master Baiter"

Why let this put you out of the game?? If you love to hunt like I do, you will just have to start saving. You have 7 months to cut back on things like eating out and buying things you just don't have to have. Lets be honest here a deer tag during the rut north of the DITCH is well worth $84.75/$662.75 and a primo elk tag during the rut is also worth every penny!!! By no means am I a wealthy guy but hey if I have to pay more $$$ to hunt the quality of animals we have here in AZ then so be it. Maybe now I will have a better chance to draw some tags, it has been 8 years since I have had a elk tag in my home state and antelope well thats a whole other story, 21 years of applying and still no antelope tag, maybe now I will have an opertunity to hunt the animals in my own state and if I have to pay more than I will just have to live with out some of the little things.

Geoff

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-05 AT 04:13PM (MST)[p]Would you be able to save enough to put you and 2-3 kids in for a $650 deer tag? Plus license fees that you are forced to buy.

BTW, a lot of people are already making cuts in the lifestyle to pay for gas to drive to work.

Sucks is an understatement. I'll have to scrounge over 12 Grand to apply for elk, deer and antelope for my family of 4. I just hope we don't all draw at once.

WOW! That does suck. I guess I'll have to cross AZ off of my list of places to hunt, cause no matter how much a scrimp and scrape, there is no way in HECK I can afford to hunt their if this price jumps go through.

I guess this is just another sign that hutning is becoming a sport for the wealthy!!

SCOTT

There are also Class B Tags available at a much cheaper tag!! I like going after Trophy animals as much as the next guy, But I will tell you there are quality deer and elk in every area in the state.

Sounds like the early rifle bull elk, the early muzzleloader bull elk, the late Kaibab antlered deer, & the Strip deer hunts. Everything else will be far less than the numbers posted above.

What I find odd is that I have already been priced out of several western states for deer and elk for years now. Looks like AZ is joining the game. I don't agree with the high prices as a whole in the west but I do agree that AZ should not be the only state that has low prices. I know that not everyone on this site puts in for Nevada elk. But everyone does put in for AZ elk. How about if the other states lower their prices to match AZ? For some reason I don't think it is going to happen.

It does suck for the pricing, I am not wealthy in any way but I am thinking to the lines that maybe this is good, it will eliminate people from putting there wife, there daughter, there grandma, there aunts, there daughter in laws, in for the hunts, now I don't mind people putting in for hunts, but most people that put in there whole famn damily are only trying to increase there odds so the husband can shoot his daughters deer, his wifes deer, his grandmas deer, etc. This will increase the serious hunters odds, and leave the party hunters out.

How many non residents put in applications for their kids, wife, neighbors, inlaws and other street people?? My bet is that most of extra family applicants are from residents of the great state of AZ? If this increase happens then I believe that non resident odds will increase because most residents wont put in apps for their dogs, cats and prarie rats. What do you think? Please no liberal responses that it's not fair for residents because they are victims of living in a depressed state.

No it won't, because AZ is going back to the internet apps with no money up front.

BTW, the same people on here who are ok with getting gouged by the G&F departments were the same ones moaning about gas prices. LOL!

Is that a fact or rumor about the internet apps? If true you are correct! I can hear the bittttching echoing down the hall ways.

The RUMOR is, They will be using a system where you apply with the credit card, but you are charged for everything upfront, just like Colorado does. If you don't draw, the charges will be reversed.

Before, they were only charging the card if you drew a tag.

Not sure if they will have it for 2006 yet or not, but it is coming.

dam what state is this in? those prices are high. here in colorado a res elk or deer tag is only $30.25. and a non-res is about 3-4 hundred

Since I plan on moving to Colorado And would have to buy nonres tags then I better figure out a way to get really rich.Your right it sucks!!!!!!!!!! Sharlin

When are the class A & B hunts going to be finalized ? I do play the AZ elk lottery , and when I hear from people who have'nt drawn in 5,6,7,10,15 years I feel bad for them . Thats just not right especially when year after year many slob hunters hit the hills with very sorry efforts/intentions . I may have to re look the units I usually put in for , but will still play . What I hate though , is having to buy a hunting license every year just to get my point , 113.00 adds up , but agian , I'll do it . Maybe NM should addapt that , buy a $100.00 hunt license ....Its amazing how things have changed in the years , used to be a 30-30 was a deer killin machine , now its labeled too small , deer tags were 20.00 - 30.00 bucks , now they are in the hundreds of dollers . Man!!!!

$113 will seem like a bargain next year.

The price of a NR hunting license is going up too! $151.00

That is what gets me the most. Shoot, I'll pay em whatever they want forthe tag....when I draw. Right now, they are getting me every year for the license with terrible odds. Yet, I'll still apply (don't tell my wife)

Not only has the price gone up on tags and Licenses but now they are talking about non residents being able to draw only 10% of tags for each hunt number.
If there are 150 tags available for a certain hunt non res. hunters will only get 15 tags for that hunt.

The odds just got 6-10 times worse for us non residents.

Just maybe the cost will be passed on to all those(RES-NR) who do draw a tag,I with(6 points) will contintue to put in for the draw, It will be a wait and see how it pans out over the next couple of years, Once F&G decide they have hit the NR hunter for all they can get, Guess who will be next, Let me be the first to welcome you all to the high price tag hunting.

I think it's awesome. I have been wanting this price increase for a while now. The hunts are more than worth any adjacent State's fees and this increase puts us in the ball park. Quit your belly-aching! I hope everyone sees the benefit in the increase and goes to the meetings to be a proponent. It is a good thing!

Please enlighten us on the benefits of being bent over.

No other state charges even close to $1,800 for an Elk tag. And AZ has great hunting, but it is not 2X better than Utah or NM.

Just what kind of DRUGS are you on bubbas???? I have always put my two kids and my Dad in for the hunts, can you add up what this is going to cost me now. Furthermore what is going to happen to the future of hunting for are kids.

Please stipulate whether you are a resident or nonresident first. I am a resident. From what I understand the fee increase is a cap fee not the actual fee. Second, those will be for Class A tags not all tags, which will be for the premium areas, which I argue should be all antlered elk tags and north of the Colorado deer tags.
Nevada elk tags are at least $1,000 possibly $1,100. An Arizona elk tag would be worth every cent of $1800. If you want your kids to hunt Elk then Cow hunts are great. If you want them to experience a bull hunt then take them to CO or ID.
Don't fall for the Utah demographic philosophy. They are always torn between wanting quality and wanting opportunity. As soon as they loose one they complain about it. I feel AZGFD does a great job in maintaining quality first and still providing opportunity.
The reality is the majority of people think of AZ as having trophy animals and are invested in it's future because of that quality. If we don't raise fees as a method of maintaining that quality then it's hard to maintain. Then we'll be complaining like the Utah folk on how the age class and trophy size is suffering.
If you do not put in for AZ because of it's trophy potential then put in for the non -trophy hunts and you and/or your kids can still have a great opportunity. Hopefully the fee increase will prevent the scenario that we as die hards in the outdoor field see all too often. That is when a someone comes into the shop and never hunting before and wants to see what a bow looks like because he drew the best bull tag in the state but never been elk hunting before. Then he can't shoot 40 yards and he hunts a total of 2 days because he has school or can't get off work. And don't say well he has that right. We're not talking about rights because if that sort of thing didn't happen then there would be more quality tags to keep people who truely want them happy. Then we have less worry.
In short, have majority of tags as trophy tags and high fees and lesser quality,which by the way are still better than most,with lower fees. Then put in for the lower fee hunts and be happy! Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Those are tag prices not caps.

USO still wins. The people who can afford those tag prices are going to be the people that will hire USO. They played right into USO.
How does raising the fee maintain quality? They are still giving the same number of tags aren't they. You go hunt a cow or go to CO or ID and me and my boy's will use our $113 bonus points on a trophy hunt.

"An Arizona elk tag would be worth every cent of $1800. If you want your kids to hunt Elk then Cow hunts are great. If you want them to experience a bull hunt then take them to CO or ID."

I don't think a unit 10 or 1 bull tag in Az would be worth 2 times what a Utah Pahvant or San Juan Elk tag is worth. Nevada has some really nice bulls and there tags are 1100.00.

Maybe Colorado and Idaho should should follow Arizona's lead and limit residents to 10% in all hunt units and increase their fees too.
I'm sure the Idaho and Colorado residents would be all for that.
Hunting is close to becoming a rich mans sport only and it's getting closer every year.

I understand Arizona F&G needs more money but the tag increases are too extreme.

I am a resident of AZ and have been my hole life and I do live north of the Colorado river so we are talking about my backyard aren't we. G&F wants to put the higher fees on the North Kaibab where I hunt and my childern cut there teeth on hunting, so now I have to tell them that we cant hunt there any more because there are people out there that think they are better then us!!! but they say we can go hunt a lesser QUALITY hunt, so we will not be ruining it for the big shots that have the money to pay out for the higher price tags.

So what your saying is its ok for people that have that kida money? Whats saying they are not the type that walk into the shop and buy that 48 dollar bow, 1st hunt, drunk etc. Ive seen pretty rich people walk in here ( not mentioning any names of course) that own the best guns in the world , money hanging out of thier pockets and stupid as hell about bow hunting.?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-10-05 AT 03:18PM (MST)[p]
> Please stipulate whether you are
>a resident or nonresident first.
>I am a resident. From
>what I understand the fee
>increase is a cap fee
>not the actual fee. Second,
>those will be for Class
>A tags not all tags,
>which will be for the
>premium areas, which I argue
>should be all antlered elk
>tags and north of the
>Colorado deer tags.
> Nevada elk tags are at
>least $1,000 possibly $1,100. An
>Arizona elk tag would be
>worth every cent of $1800.
>If you want your kids
>to hunt Elk then Cow
>hunts are great. If you
>want them to experience a
>bull hunt then take them
>to CO or ID.
> Don't fall for the Utah
>demographic philosophy. They are always
>torn between wanting quality and
>wanting opportunity. As soon as
>they loose one they complain
>about it. I feel AZGFD
>does a great job in
>maintaining quality first and still
>providing opportunity.
> The reality is the majority
>of people think of AZ
>as having trophy animals and
>are invested in it's future
>because of that quality. If
>we don't raise fees as
>a method of maintaining that
>quality then it's hard to
>maintain. Then we'll be complaining
>like the Utah folk on
>how the age class and
>trophy size is suffering.
> If you do not put
>in for AZ because of
>it's trophy potential then put
>in for the non -trophy
>hunts and you and/or your
>kids can still have a
>great opportunity. Hopefully the fee
>increase will prevent the scenario
>that we as die hards
>in the outdoor field see
>all too often. That is
>when a someone comes into
>the shop and never hunting
>before and wants to see
>what a bow looks like
>because he drew the best
>bull tag in the state
>but never been elk hunting
>before. Then he can't shoot
>40 yards and he hunts
>a total of 2 days
>because he has school or
>can't get off work. And
>don't say well he has
>that right. We're not talking
>about rights because if that
>sort of thing didn't happen
>then there would be more
>quality tags to keep people
>who truely want them happy.
>Then we have less worry.
>
> In short, have majority of
>tags as trophy tags and
>high fees and lesser quality,which
>by the way are still
>better than most,with lower fees.
>Then put in for the
>lower fee hunts and be
>happy! Don't ruin it for
>the rest of us.

Please tell us how higher prices = bigger elk and deer.

And I AM a resident of AZ.

You say go hunt cow elk? They want to raise the cow elk tag for residents to $114!

Those are NOT the cap prices. Those are the prices you will most likely see in 2006.

Last year, the AZ G&F refused to allow a "conservation bonus point" because the said they had overwhelming response against it.

They took away internet applications because the had over whelming response against it.

The outlawed predator hunting contest for the same reason.

Here is the email address that you can use to give them some more response.

[email protected]

First off your points are well taken. That would be a change to live in northern Az and have prices raised. How much was a deer tag? If under $200 I still feel like a family can afford it no matter what the income. Remember, especially for those hard to draw tags your whole family won't draw the same year. The tag prices even for residents are certainly realistic, even on a low income. And for non-residents, the whole reason you are going to Az is for the trophy quality. If non -residents don't feel Az has that much better quality than those other states mentioned to justify the difference then don't put in. It's a simple cost vs. benefit dilemma. From what most people are saying they'll still put in which means they do see the value difference.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-10-05 AT 06:24PM (MST)[p]i just read your fee scale again, Droptine. This is not a shot at your financial situation but how can even the maximum deer tag price put you and your family out of the hunting business? Now, I can understand if you don't value it enough to warrent the cost but seriously I'm sure you have enough discretionary dollars to plan ahead for the deer draw every year. And this is not coming from someone who is rich.

Oh and my point about maybe the higher fees cutting down on the premium tags getting taken by people who don't value them had nothing to do with rich vs poor and who deserved the tags. My point was if I'm someone who is just getting into hunting and I really don't care of the trophy quality, I'm sure not going to put in for the higher fee areas, what would be the point. Therefore, people are more selective in the areas they put in for and the tags are dispersed properly according to value level. That way odds are better for both the trophy hunter and the meat hunter respectively.
That way I may not put my wife in for that premium tag just so I can have an excuse to go in the unit like many husbands do. I mean shoot my wife drew a deer tag this year and now she's 4 months pregnant and probably won't use the tag because she will be 6 months pregnant during the hunt and she doesn't value it enough to be hiking around in that condition. Now what if that was a premium tag, wouldn't you like that situation to be possibly avoided. We don't have that many tags in AZ as it is and it kills me when that happens even when I'm the guilty party. Well I may not put my wife in for a premium tag price because she doesn't value it enough to warrant the fee. Understand my point?

I believe Az is on to a good thing here. I wish Idaho, Colorado and Nevada would increase there trophy area deer tags to $2000 or $3000 for residents and non-residents. This would definetly weed out the not so serious deer hunters but still give the meat hunters opportunity to get a deer in other units.
A lot of hunters pay guides and outfitters a lot more money than that just for an opportunity at a trophy.
I hunted Arizona many years ago when I lived there and I hope the quality of hunting has improved over what it was.

Bubba your right a 1800 dollar tags don't put you into the poor house until you put in your 3 sons and yourself. Maybe it buying the license for 8-10 year waiting to get that license. USO is sleeping better already knowing the State just did them a huge favor by raising the price because all their clients can afford the prices, SO all you guys are telling me that is a good thing. Hell the only good thing is that the cap for 10% is back on and USO will still get the tags that they want, Yep man I can see why your all happy for them. AZ F&G please keep raising the fees, raise the resident fees too, they have shown they are for higher fees, shouldn't take long before some-one in that dept see that.AS I SAID BEFORE LET BE THE FIRST TO WELCOME YA ALL TO HIGHER TAG PRICES.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-05 AT 09:11AM (MST)[p]You people **** and moan about gouging at the gas pump, the grocery store, taxes,etc, but you'll gladly take it right in the shorts for a deer/elk tag.

What other group of people are begging the powers to be to charge them more?

If there was a gas shortage next week, would you be begging the station manager to raise the prices to $10/gal so we can weed out the non-serious driver?

LOL! Pathetic.

Like my dad said over thirty years ago, "In the future hunting will be for the rich only." I'm believing he was right.

""In the future hunting will be for the rich only." I'm believing he was right." You might be right there.

And what if these fees get raised then what? Those with vast sums of disposable income are going to pay whatever it costs, double, triple. How about some of those auction Governors tags. Here in California one guy spent close to $100,000 for the bighorn sheep tag. If the government thinks it can get away with charging the sky's the limit, it will continue to raise the fees.
Is there any guarantee that the herds will continue to flourish and pump out record book heads? I seem to remember that there was a major deer die off in the 20's or 30's and that the elk are not native and were all planted. I hear that Utah's herds are in trouble because of poor management and they still sell high price NR tags. The major problem with most if not all states, is they do not manage the game well enough. Too much spent on things not game or game mangement related.
"just my two cents"...

I believe that some price increases are warrented, but I believe that G&F is getting a little carried away with them. I am an Az. Resident, and I don't think that just because all of the other states are trying to price out the Average Joe Hunter, that Az. should do the same. GIRLBOWHUNTER, before you move to Colo. you should consider the Lifetime Hunting License, that way if you do apply for Non-resident Hunts in Az. you won't have to cough up the license fee.
Best Of Luck, Kim

BS Hunting Club Co-founder

I did not read all of the posts, but from what I got the AZ class A tags are for the rich, who can afford to shoot the trophys and class B are for us lower class folk. Is that correct?
Michael

>I did not read all of
>the posts, but from what
>I got the AZ class
>A tags are for the
>rich, who can afford to
>shoot the trophys and class
>B are for us lower
>class folk. Is that
>correct?
>Michael

Yes, the rich horn hunters get their tags, the middle class horn hunters get their tags, and the lower class meat hunters get the big dry shaft.

I am a resident of AZ. I am more than happy to dish out $214 for an archery bull tag in 8,9, or 10. $214 to hunt the quality of bulls in these areas, well worth it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom