Too Hot to Scout............

B

Bura Nut

I was stupid enough to run down south and look around for the day. It was HOT........I didnt find any sheds but saw lots of quail......we really need some rain. I saw some new buds coming off some of the bushes, but all in all it is too dry. I decided to stop at Wellers wildlife Studio and they really do top notch work. I will have my buck back in a week or two.....is anyone else getting their mounts back soon?........ Allen Taylor......

Got my antelope back from Weller's about 2 weeks ago. They did a remount for me. It looks better than it did originaly. It's by no means a high scoring buck but it is a trophy to me. Took it in Wyoming with my dad back in 1984. Had a great trip with lots of memories.

Hope you get the rain down there soon . Just got an e-mail from a friend in the Mammoth area and he said he can't even scout the area he wants because of the road closures. Gary

we got a lil bit of rain today, mainly towards the unit 33 area, by where the fire was. nothing down south but supposedly the patagoina area got some rain. i am supposed to get my mount back on saturday! i hope so. i will send out pics tp put on her eif any one will put them up for me
casey

In the last 2 days most of southeast AZ has got some good rain. Unit 36 C has been left out of the rain so far, but in the next few days the chance of rain is 40% so that could change.

Wellers does the best work around, you will NOT be dissapointed. And you dont have to wait 1-2 years for your mount to come back. His turn around time is 6-7 months.

Lance

It's never to hot to go scouting, just bring lots of water! I've been out scouting four times in the last week and have seen deer every time. Most people would be surprised how early the deer start moving in the afternoon even in 100 plus degree temps. I will agree that we need rain, all the dirt tanks are dry and the cattle ranchers are not filling the troughs since the cattle have been moved off the forest land. We did get some rain here in East Mesa last night and by the looks of the radar on the news my coues hunting area also got wet! I've also been seeing some good bear sign and it looks like there will be plenty of pears and a decent acorn crop as well. Now I'd just like to find out what tag(s) I did or did not draw so I can start focusing my efforts on rifle or archery.

TAM

I was up scouting northern unit 22 last thursday. Saw some coues and some quail. It got really hot and I stopped scouting at 12:00. I did go into some new country. I found some waterholes yet they were dry. On another note, my B&C bear rug should be completed in october. I have to find the wall space for my bear. This is going to require that I take down some of my wifes art work. That should go over really well.

Never too hot to scout! The Tubac area has recieved over two inches of rain between saturday and sunday. an inch and a half gully washer on saturday night. I was watching a group of mulies, and couldn't figure out why they took off all of a sudden, then i looked up from my binos and saw a black wall of water coming over the ridge. it was amazing. I saw over 35 deer running down all the ridges headed to the river bottom to escape the rain (all in about 10 minutes) most of the the inch and a half that we got fell in about 45 minutes. we sure needed it!

Matt

hell, my swimmin' pool is too hot to enjoy. you guys are diehards if you're scoutin' in this weather. i had 116 on my thermometer yesterday in creen queek. i think maybe some o' ya need to wear a hat when you're outside, you're brains'r fried. it's too hot to even fish..........scoutin' in this weather.....i swear.........

I am with you RLH. It was 117 in Mesa yesterday and on saturday out in the desert it felt like it was 110. I am waiting a few more weeks................. Allen Taylor......

Cmon Bura,

Cowboy up, Get some water, set in the shade and watch. With heat like that I know the deer will start panting. I know they don't sweat. I watched a bighorn the other day panting so hard that I thought his side was going to cave in.

If you are waiting for somthing to move, the heat will make them do it. I know it was cooler the other day in Sasabe, by almost 10 degrees than it was in Tucson.

You just don't know what you are missing.
Dean

It damn sure wasnt cooler on my hill closer to sasabe than Tucson..........It was too hot to shed hunt..........but cool enough to scout.........LOL......... Allen Taylor......

Bugler-

Speaking of bear hunting....???????????????? I'm waiting for your buddy still...hehe

Scott G.

Were already planning a trip. IM waiting for my bipod to get here, and we'll go as soon as i get back from taxidermy school. We ought to plan a trip together We seen a few last year but couldnt close the distance to a shootable distance for those of us with mere 30-06's instead of shoulder a mounted surface to surface shooter. But hey .hehe
Really we should plan it between Bura and us we should get us into some great areas, Theres lots of pears on the cactus but unknown if they'll be on em.

J.D. I actually would like to shoot a spot and stalk bear versus dogs like my last bear, so if your buddy is up for this, let me know, I like the young muscle bound guys packing out the game I shot...........Allen Taylor......

The missle launcher will be ready by then...we'll talk more Sunday...

Scott G.

Bura, you got some balls to be scouting in that unit right now. I have the same rifle tag but I won't scout that area for a while. I've been scouting an area with an elavation of 5700 feet for the archery hunt and it still gets too hot. Good luck on your archery hunt down there.

I have been doing some scouting down south in 35a, we have seen a few deer mostly does but we have seen about 10 bucks and most of them have been right out in the open during the middle of the day. We saw a big coues buck running with a Muley buck which i though was really strange. They were both decent for the time being their anters werent fully developed. it is never to early or to late rea;yy to go scouting cause for these deer i believe you need to be in decent shape.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom