traditions Pursuit with BH 209??

txhunter58

Long Time Member
Will a Traditions Pursuit Ambush III rifle shoot BH 209 without modification? thanks

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks! Friend of my bought one and I was hoping it would work. Will tell him to get started

txhunter58

What is it that makes BH209 incompatible with some guns?

Is it that it burns hotter/faster?

Is it the larger granule size makes ingition harder?

It's recommended for my CVA to use the BH209 replacement breech plug. As far as i can tell the only difference is the diameter of the flash hole beign a little wider.

I haven't bought one and I'm still using the original without any ill effects or misfires. Maybe its a hearbreak waiting to happen.

BH requires a hotter flame for ignition. Add to that the fact that it tends to create a carbon buildup in the breechplug and you can have some hangfires/misfires.

The reason it is harder to ignite is that it is basically a smokeless powder that has been reduced in explosiveness so it is safe to use in most normal inline blackpowder guns. That is also why it is less corrosive.

Also, most plunger/bolt action guns can have a problem with it due to too much blowback. Some people have been hit with 209 primers that have been blown back into their face.

txhunter58

To add the above, IMHO the main problem usually with some muzzleloaders and Blackhorn 209 (BH209) powder is the breechplug design.
A breechplug that works well with BH209 will have a flame channel with a diameter of 5/32" which is bigger than 1/8" which some plugs come with. This larger channel allows for more build up of carbon before you need to clean it to continue shooting. it also should reduce blowback. The tiny flash hole should be between .028 and .035 in diameter. When the flash hole gets larger than .035 it has been eroded and usually accuracy falls off and blowback starts to be a problem. A breechplug that has a removeable vent liner that can be changed when the flash hole erodes allows you to change an inexpensive component instead of buying a new breechplug.

If you have a good breechplug and use one of these primers - Win 209, CCI 209, CCI 209M, Federal 209, and still have ignition problems it could be that you are using a projectile or sabot that is to loose for good ignition.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom