Trail bikes for hunting?

IdahoSmitty

How many of you guys use a trail bike for getting around during hunting season? Where I live there are many trails that are open to dirt bikes. It seems like it would be a great way to get in deeper and then start your hunt. I have been looking into trail bikes like the fat cat, big wheel, rokon, and other 4 stroke trail bikes. I'm really only looking for a bike that would suit my hunting needs. I don't have any ambition to go off jumps or go fast. (I would more or less putt up to where I was going to start hiking)

any good experiences/bad?
good for packing game out?
advantages/disadvantages?
ease of use?

I appreciate any help, Smitty

I use to ride a Honda trail 90, but just switched to the Yamaha TW200. I think it is a great trail bike, plus it has a rack on the back I can put my backpack on while I'm riding, and a fat tire on the back.

>How many of you guys use
>a trail bike for getting
>around during hunting season?
>Where I live there are
>many trails that are open
>to dirt bikes. It
>seems like it would be
>a great way to get
>in deeper and then start
>your hunt. I have
>been looking into trail bikes
>like the fat cat, big
>wheel, rokon, and other 4
>stroke trail bikes. I'm
>really only looking for a
>bike that would suit my
>hunting needs. I don't
>have any ambition to go
>off jumps or go fast.
> (I would more or
>less putt up to where
>I was going to start
>hiking)
>
>any good experiences/bad?
>good for packing game out?
>advantages/disadvantages?
>ease of use?
>
>I appreciate any help, Smitty

It's a great way to get around and opens up tons of country.
The TW is the best way to go,they're very stable plenty of power when needed, you can get racks front and back, great for haulin camps in and game out.
The wide tires on the fat-cats and bikes like it are a pain in the ass, always trying to pull you up off the trail, and rutts are extra dangerous.
If you buy a knew bike be sure to have a kick start installed,
not all of em come from the factory with one..

I used to think the same thing. I've had both Fatcat and TW200. If the terrain was not too steep it wasn't bad. With the Fatcat, if there were ruts, it would tend to suck the tires into them. With the TW, if it was a little steep and/or rocky, especially with any kind of load,the bike would want to wheely out. It just seem to beat me up. I do have short legs and maybe that's why it was a constant battle. I finally went with a 4-wheeler, and where they are legal it is a pure pleasure to ride.

i had a 2 stroke rokon for a while, it worked great for a packout, but the lack of a suspension beat me to death. i spent more time working on it than riding it. eventually sold it. we had one guy in our crew w/ a tw200. horrible power to weight ratio and horrible in the steep stuff, and not real great in snow, but easy to ride. the majority of the guys i hunt with like a sport bike with a suspension and good power to weight ratio like a 250 or my choice, a 450. we have a fatcatter in the crew and the only time i would want to have his bike is when there is a foot of snow, it does excel in that scenario, unless its going uphill. in which case, he doesnt have the power to spin down to get traction. one thing to think about in idaho is that the people that mark the trails open to bikes have a sick sense of humor. some of them would make a mtn goat nervous. you can get in places where you are crawling along in 1st gear on a cliff face for hours. this is murder on a liquid cooled bike. for that reason, i think the ideal hunting bike is an air cooled older model, xr 250 or an xr200 if you like to be close to the ground...

I have a custom made rear rack for a TW200. Its much larger then the tiny little stock rack. Very well built. I used it to pack out deer and bears. Send a PM if interested.

I used a Yamaha WR250F this year on my San Juan elk hunt.

I got in a few epic situations scouting with it though. If you put a pack on with all your gear, glass and bow for the day, you are carrying nearly 40 lbs and it makes riding tight rocky single track nearly impossible. I did pack out the two hind quarters back to the trailhead on foot then 4 miles back to camp with the WR. With 80 or 90 lbs on your back it is super scary. The top heavy weight will tip you over instantly if you are not an experienced rider and super fit.

I'm a little guy at 5'7" and these types of woods bikes, even lowered as low as they will go in stock trim are way too high for epic trail work with a pack on.

I'm looking for a used lowering link and a 20" front mx wheel for mine to get it so I can get both feet on the ground :)

There are many places where you can legally take bikes miles further back in than you can a 4-wheeler. My buddy has hauled out of the Uinta's a whole 6x6 elk on his XR400! While they are tough to use for packing out game and tight single track with a heavy pack, they are so much more nimble and quick to get around on that it is well worth the hassle in the few situations where they are not as good.

Here's a couple pics.
12.jpg

A super tough spot on the Aspen Flat to Red Ledges trail. No 4-wheelers allowed back in there!
12a.jpg

Cheers,
Pete

>one thing to think about in
>idaho is that the people
>that mark the trails open
>to bikes have a sick
>sense of humor. some
>of them would make a
>mtn goat nervous.

You mean like these :)

9314bob&dan.jpg

You can just barely see my buddy Dwight stuck in the middle of that rock pile!
3353dwightstuckonsidehill.jpg

Here's the same trail from the other side.
4038dwightstrail.jpg

2687majorsidehill.jpg

The crazy part is there's elk and elk sign everywhere back in this nasty stuff. Some of the most incredible trail riding I've ever done, but I wouldn't want to carry a pack on any of that stuff :)

cheers,
Pete

C3 mentions some good points. I have ridden off-road bikes on single track for years. It is by far the toughest style of riding out there. Then you add on several pounds of gear and your favorite rifle or bow. You must be an experienced rider or you will have trouble. Definitely find a bike with a low seat height and good torque. The Yamaha TTR series or the Honda CRF150-230 series make great mountain bikes. The others TW, Rokon, trail 90 are all cheap but have big dis-advatanges. The fat tired bikes are the worst and I would strongly urge you to stay away from them.

That being said, Id does have the best trail systems in the US and are maintained at a higher level than here in UT. My suggestions would be to find a bike you can easily touch the ground on and hit the trails before you haul that expensive rifle or bow in to the back country.

I have several fiends that haul out a few elk every year on dirt bikes, and it saves them lots of hours and hiking. Good luck!!!

I'be owned and ridden them all Bws, TWs, fatcats, and enduros. It all depends on the terrain, For muddy/snowy roads BWs are great but they suck at narrow trails and ruts as mentioned. Fatcats dont have a clutch which I dont like. For terrain like C3 was in an enduro or tw is best. Russ

I have a Fatcat and like it. You have to pay attention with the fat tires because they will do some weird things in ruts. If you get the air pressure right in the tires you will have no issues climbing or trail riding. I actually like the fact it doesn't have a clutch, they have two break levers on the handlebars, this allows you to walk the bike down steep terrain with pressure on both front and rear breaks. I wouldn't want anything faster than a Bigwheel or Fatcat when carring gear. I cringe thinking about crashing a dirtbike at speeds with a pack full of cameras, optics, gun, etc... A guad is much nicer to rider then a fc or any bike for that matter if your are on it for any amount of time.

Our family used to use Rokon bikes in the Unitas before most of the trails were closed. We packed out plenty of elk on them, one time a full spike in one trip...

They are the toughest machine I have ever seen, but not much in the suspension category. But, other than getting beat up the trail, they will go places other bikes don't have a chance.

Great info guys! (as always) I totally can see what is meant by Idaho having some trails that would only be fit for a bird flying over!! So it seems like a TW or other low geared bike that I could put my feet down would be good for a beginner like myself.....good to know! I also can understand how it would be tough to haul meat out being so top heavy. But even if you were 5 miles in on a trail you could take a few trips and save some time and your back....? With all my gear that I worked hard for I think it would be best for me to find a bike and practice a bunch before the season comes. I think this would serve me in getting to know some new country and the trail.
Keep the advice coming!! Smitty

Pete, that looks like a trail I have ridden in the Baum Gardiner area. Idaho does have some tough trails, but once again they are the best maintained. CO has some great access trails to the back country too.

I would get a bike this spring and start riding. Put your pack on and get used to it.

And one of the best kept secrets for mountain single track is use a trials tire on the rear. They are unmatched in the nasty stuff as well as slick wet stream crossings.

I've used fatcats, bigwheels, and dirt bikes in the past. The biggest advise I can give is to make sure that you're in shape and have a decent skill level on whatever bike you choose. Inexperience and being out of shape is a recipe for disaster, especially if you get yourself way back in the middle of nowhere. I've spent a lot of time on regular dirt bikes and there is no way you'd catch me strapping my optics and rifle to the bike or my back on one. Way too much speed that can quickly turn into a disaster, worse if you've got your high dollar gear strapped to you.

As previously mentioned if you're looking for a bike definitely go with something lowered geared, and low enough where your feet can touch the ground. The added weight of a pack on a bike makes a HUGE difference. They are a lot of fun and make a great tool, they just add a lot more danger as well. Good luck!

If you fan the clutch on the way up, it usually blinds the lower to the ground ATV dudes and increases your odds of success.

:)

berm_roost_3.jpg

I have tried the fat wheel yamaha and the skinny tire honda 4-stroke xr in a 250 cc. I liked the 250 xr much better..found a used one for 1000.00 and have hunted and scouted colorado unit 61 the past 2 years on it. As mentioned practice riding with a loaded pack on, especially going up or down steep grades. It is easy to get into trouble...always wear a helmet!

definately buy the bike well ahead of time and spend time getting to know it. i would recommend riding the exact trails you plan on hunting so you know where the tricky spots are. ive packed out 3 elk from 5-10miles in on single track. its one thing to do it on a bluebird day in september, its another to do it in a whiteout blizzard in the dark, via headlamp (one bike didnt have a headlight)
by the time you put yourself and 100lbs of elk meat on a bike, then add in a foot of snow, it wont take much of an uphill climb for you to realize that the tw200 is a touch underpowered. having a little power and knowing how to use the clutch is a lot easier in the long run...

A tuned rokon will haul you and your elk out of anywhere you could walk out of. It just won't do it fast.

I don't do much hunting(Heater doesn't work well) on mine but lots of pre-season scouting and love it..Have over 3500 miles on Yamaha TW200 and bought it new..

I owned a TW200 and I also ride a YZ450 Yamaha. I wouldn't even consider the 450 over the 200 for hunting with. Just not needed. I changed out the front sproket on the 200 and now have plenty of power. I've hauled out deer and bears with mine. Just gut them and lay them over the seat and basically sit on top of them as you ride out. If they are too large for that, then strap what you can on your pack frame and lash it down to the rack and bike. The rack I mentioned above in my earlier post is the ticket to hauling bigger loads.

Do think there would be a market for a specially designed hunt/trail bike? They old ones have not decreased in price.

>I owned a TW200 and I
>also ride a YZ450 Yamaha.
> I wouldn't even consider
>the 450 over the 200
>for hunting with. Just
>not needed. I changed
>out the front sproket on
>the 200 and now have
>plenty of power. I've hauled
>out deer and bears with
>mine. Just gut them
>and lay them over the
>seat and basically sit on
>top of them as you
>ride out. If they are
>too large for that, then
>strap what you can on
>your pack frame and lash
>it down to the rack
>and bike. The rack I
>mentioned above in my earlier
>post is the ticket to
>hauling bigger loads.

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that rack if you wouldn't mind posting. Smitty

I think you'd have a really niche market for a specialty hunting/trail bike. I think Honda and Yamaha tried it with the Fat Cats and Big Wheels. Both models only ran a couple years. I think you're better off using one of the bikes that out there right now and modifying it to your needs.

I would not suggest the WR450 4 stroke unless you get a bigger rear sprocket to slow her down a little... it was a little tough bringing this guy down the old four wheel trail on the bike....
4978bear_and_bike.jpg

This hunt we used the XR250's these are great hunting bikes. Can get up and go pretty good, yet still can lug around. They have plenty of height to bounce over stumps and rocks if need be... make sure you get a good skid plate on the bottom... price wise... the XR's were around $1000 a peice.. the WR... much more brand new... paid $7000 and then put a lot more into it.. its fun... but not really a good lugging bike.

4657bries_first_big_game_animal.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-10 AT 07:45AM (MST)[p]When the ambulance comes to get my old, dizzy, poorly balanced azz, will they haul the bike out also?......

I'm pretty much convinced, I need at least 4 wheels under me and when I get rich and famous, it's an 8 wheel Argo with tracks!

I had a '46 Knucklehead that was modified to climb hills. It was WAY fast, but probably too noisy to hunt from.

I have a Rokon Trail Breaker, and its bad a$$, easy to work on, and is a beast in the snow. It takes a little getting use to, but I ride a mt bike a lot, so it helps keep my balance sharp.

I've used it less than I thought I would, but when you need it it will get you where you want to go. As stated before, it's slow and low to the ground.

NVMDF

You guys/gals aren't serious are you??? I assume that you are from Utah, haven't seen anyone in Colorado ripping around the mountains on a dirt bike hunting (not sure that is what you would call it based on the pictures I have seen posted. Bet the hunters walking and riding horses really like your style. Be Bop where are you???

Wildsage

Whats wrong with using a bike on a legal designated trail?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-10 AT 08:09PM (MST)[p]>You guys/gals aren't serious are you???
> I assume that
>you are from Utah, haven't
>seen anyone in Colorado ripping
>around the mountains on a
>dirt bike hunting (not sure
>that is what you would
>call it based on the
>pictures I have seen posted.
> Bet the hunters walking
>and riding horses really like
>your style. Be
>Bop where are you???
>
>Wildsage

There are tons of trails in Idaho that are open to both dirt bikes and horses. The way I see it is that a person w/ a dirt bike has every right to ride on the trails just as a person w/ horses. I could see that there should be some etiquitte when confronting each other. I would guess the horse people would pull off trail and let the dirt bike guys PUSH their bikes by. And in my initial post I believe I asked for information about trail riding in order to access more remote areas and then hunt from there.

bullstodie...i disagree..
the 450 does just fine w/ a stock sprocket...loaded down w/ 250lbs of manass and half an elk, too much speed is not a problem, with all that weight, the center of gravity is nice and low also. i did this same packout in a foot of snow and needed every ounce of power i could get for the uphills and switchbacks. i will say the icy logging road at the end made for some bumps and bruises on that trip.

as far as horse guys go, i always shut off my motor and get off the trail for them, however after this year, having two different sets of them go out of their way to ruin my hunts, im about to start losing my temper...they still have 3/4 of the state to play in that is closed to, or not accessible by bikes.
unfortunately now in idaho, those are also the wolves favorite spots and the elk are starting to hang out by the roads...

>bullstodie...i disagree..
>the 450 does just fine w/
>a stock sprocket...loaded down w/
>250lbs of manass and half
>an elk, too much speed
>is not a problem, with
>all that weight, the center
>of gravity is nice and
>low also. i did
>this same packout in a
>foot of snow and needed
>every ounce of power i
>could get for the uphills
>and switchbacks. i will
>say the icy logging road
>at the end made for
>some bumps and bruises on
>that trip.
>
>as far as horse guys go,
>i always shut off my
>motor and get off the
>trail for them, however after
>this year, having two different
>sets of them go out
>of their way to ruin
>my hunts, im about to
>start losing my temper...they still
>have 3/4 of the state
>to play in that is
>closed to, or not accessible
>by bikes.
>unfortunately now in idaho, those are
>also the wolves favorite spots
>and the elk are starting
>to hang out by the
>roads...

lip_curl... Yeah i could see how being in a lot of snow it would be helpful to have a lot of power... and I personally, being 6'5'', 220 lbs, have no problem with the 450..i love it... i wouldn't take any other bike to do anything since I bought the WR brand new in 07. But for this guy, who seems to not be a real experienced rider... i wouldn't recommend a 450 to him. I wouldn't recommend a 450 to any rider, unless they have rode a lot before hand on smaller bikes... Just a good way to get killed, especially on my bike:) ; its real easy to flip my bike over going up hills especially with snow and ice, if your not careful. The 450 with stock sprocket can be somewhat slow...but nothing like the XR's, i have a buddy with the same bike as mine, and got a bigger sprocket,, and it can crawl much easier than mine when going into mountain lakes and such.

With the horse issue... it's not really an issue i've ever come across... Its mostly illegal to ride off of trails that are less than like, 49 ''s i think it is. So if i run across horses it would mean i was being illegal.

"Like a midget at the urinal, always be on your toes!"
www.Anacondatreasure.com
www.rwmurals.com
http://www.themontanagallery.com/

I have an old XR250L that I like but I do wish it had a starter. I have used it for hunting but I am not a good rider. Most of the trails are WAY above my level as a rider. Ron

Bike1.jpg

Bike2.jpg

>I have an old XR250L that
>I like but I do
>wish it had a starter.
>I have used it for
>hunting but I am not
>a good rider. Most of
>the trails are WAY above
>my level as a rider.
> Ron
Yeah, the XR is a great bike! I started out riding a 70s DR 370, when I was 13. I blew up on me, and money was short so didn't get another bike until I was a freshman in college. It was a 91 XR. I rode the crap out of that bike. I went anywhere I wanted to go. But then I bought the WR450 in 07, when I felt I was capable of riding it. I feel that if I were any smaller than what I am now, the 4 years of riding the XR wouldn't have been enough time to get used to it for me... im 6'5'' and feel that I have good control over the bike.

"Like a midget at the urinal, always be on your toes!"
www.Anacondatreasure.com
www.rwmurals.com
http://www.themontanagallery.com/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom