Traveling to Botswana

Some suggest a malaria shot. I had the larium (sp) shot which is what was developed for building the Panama Canal.......poor decision. The side effect were and are horrible. I skipped it on my next two trips feeling that I would rather have malaria. You will love Botswana and hope you are going to the Okavango flood plains. If so you are going to be within a few feet of everything from lions to elephants.

You should check your shot card and make sure you are current on the various vaccinations. That would include Hep A/B, DPT, and Tetanus. Yellow Fever is NOT required, unless you're coming from another country where it is present. You will hear various recommendation for malaria prevention, but basically either Larium tablets (weekly) or Malarone (daily). I always have my doctor give me a 14-day scrip of doxycycline for regular infections or tick fever.

I just returned from Cameroon a couple days ago, this being my 10th African safari. here is what I took with me:

Malarone for Malaria prophylaxis
Doxycycline for tick bites and malaria
Cipro, strong general antibiotic
immodium for travelers diarrea.
Advil, Excedrin
Neosporin

Vaccines for Africa I‘ve had in last few years:

Tetanus
Hep A/B
Cholera
Typhoid
Yellow Fever (required for entry to Cameroon)

The other two hunters in Cameroon are both doctors. Given how conditions were, they both agreed that we should all start taking a round of Cipro just in case. So, based on their advice I’ve been taking Cipro for a couple days.

Everyone should also have rescue insurance such as Global Rescue or Ripcord. I know several hunters who’ve needed to use it while on safari and it got them to a major hospital after getting pummeled by a buffalo for one, and evacuated from terrorist attack by the LRA for the other.

Last edited:
What type of vaccinations do you need traveling to Botswana on safari and how long before your trip do you get the shots?
To your specific question, your needs are simpler. Be sure your vaccination for tetanus is up to date and ask your doctor for advice on Hepatitus A/B, Cholera, Typhold. You don’t necessarily need those but they’re extra protection. I do know people who’ve gotten each of those in Africa. Other than that, Malarone is the main thing as Malaria is present in Botswana.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom