Treestand Experience

mountainman

I am hunting the archery cow/spike hunt this year. I put up a tree stand on a good waterhole away from a lot of hunting pressure. The other evening I was in the stand and I heard Elk bugling above me. I cow called back to them and they responded. Awhile passed but eventually a 5 point bull came in.

I had the coolest experience of my bow hunting career. This 5 point had absolutely no idea I was there. After a few minutes I started talking to my son on the radio - the bull didn't bust. I made a few whisper level cow calls - the bull didn't bust.

Finally it was getting so dark I had to get out of the tree stand to head back to camp. Only then did the bull take off. This is the 1st time I have had an animal come in when I was in a tree stand - although I couldn't shoot this was an absolutely awesome experience.

Gotta love it... it's always fun when your in a tree stand and a critter is below you without a clue you're there.

Thats more action than I got this year. Although it IS my first year.... Funny how life seems to go in circles.

Back home in Wisconsin, I shot a buck that bumped into my tree steps. It is really cool.

Although, it is completely different to be eye level with an animal in their environment.

I enjoy it and had a small buck 3 ft from the base of my stand this year. Every year i say that I need to sit my stand more. I get an extra whitetail doe tag and always use a stand for that

People knock stand hunting sometimes, and I'll be the first to admit that it sure sucks when there is no action, but when there are animals around it is awesome. I love watching undisturbed wildlife at close range.

+10 BigPig.

Nothing beats stand hunting when you spent the time figuring things out and it works. Nothing beats seeing wildlife of all kinds undisturbed. But I have to Echo what BigPig said, It sure sucks when you're not seeing anything!

I recently spent days (whole days, mornings to nights) in the top of a tree here in the Arizona high dessert roasting my keester off with little to no shade. If it weren't for seeing some really good bucks from that stand I would have been out of there in a hurry. I still only had a 2 point come within range at that. But I wouldnt trade it for seeing the Bobcats, foxes, and even one time a Mountian Lion come under my stand.

GBA

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom