Trophy Antelope Hunt

robinsg61le

Hi MM Gang,

I'll be guiding Dad for his antelope tag next week. I scouted this weekend and took some video.

I apologize in advance for the roughness of these videos, but any score estimates you can give me would be appreciated. I'm not completely ignorant when it comes to scoring, but judging the difference between a 75? buck and an 80? buck is not easy! Your opinions on the bucks in these videos would be greatly appreciated.

Tall Guy Buck:

Camp Ridge Bucks:

Lake Ridge Buck:

Big Lake Ridge Buck:

Here is a pic of the lake ridge buck:

8028lake_ridge_near_camp.jpg

This is just my observation, but NONE of those bucks will go 80". The ones that LOOK tall are not that tall. None of them curled in at the top, where you get most of your length. Were they "nice" bucks-yes.

The Camp Ridge bucks appeared to be the nicest. The one that walks away and the one that squats to pee.

I'm inclined to agree that none of those are bigger than 80" bucks. The first one looks to me like it will be the closest but still, 76" maybe. Hard to tell for certain though from the videos, they could be bigger. It is tough to see a 5" difference in an antelope but I think when you see an 80" plus antelope you'll know it. Try looking up some pictures of 80" bucks online, it may help you score in the field. Good luck!

I have to agree as well. None would go over 80". I think the nicest One is the camp ridge Buck that takes a leak. He look's to be the heaviest and has a little curl on the top. Hard to say in the video's with the heat wave's and all. Goat's that have mass with good cutter's score the best, length is not everything. Regardless of score they are all very nice Goats. Good luck with the hunt!!! HAWK

MY humble opinion, the best buck appeared to be the camp ridge buck. He appeared to have the mass and prongs. Remember the key is mass that appears to be wider at the base than the eye. Also make certain the prong is above the ear. Depending what part of the state you are hunting the ear is 5" to 6" inches in length. The big lake buck looked ok, but really didnt get a good look. Also the camp ridge buck I couldn't see how much hook he had over the top. The horn should look out of place or cartoonish to be a real monster. I think the camp ridge buck is 78" plus.

I have a 78" muzzy buck from East Beatty 7 5/8 prongs, 13" tall and an 82 inch buck from Sheldon 33 Nevada 16 5/8" tall 6 1/2 bases just across the border, both had ears measuring 6" plus inches.Good luck and be patient. JB

Tall guy buck

15.5 with a 5.5 base he will just go over 75" gross. Nice buck and tall but has no mass his 2nd and 3rd are trast and his bases are real real thin just a tall goat give him 2 years and maybe.

Camp ridge buck is 74 tops more likely under 72 just a good oregon goat best way to put it.

Big Lake buck is a decent goat once again does not carry his mass well enough. Again that mid seventy range.

I am not sure what tag you have. but if you want a brutally honest opinion on it depending on what unit you are in I would let every one of those goats walk If I was in the big 6. Hart, Juniper, Whitehorse, Warner, Both Beatty's Hunts.

Dave

Thanks for the opinions guys. My estimates are similar to what you all have posted... Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking a monster. :)

I'll be headed out to scout again tomorrow AM, before the hunt begins Saturday, so hopefully we can locate a Toad. If not, it sure has been fun.

I've been filming through my new Swarovski spotting scope... these scopes are everything they are cracked up to be. I had my doubts about spending the money, but I doubt I will ever own any other kind of glass. I'm thinking of selling some rifles to buy the binoculars as well.

Anyway, I'll post harvest pics next week sometime... hopefully!!!

Back
Top Bottom